Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Blatter admits Qatar World Cup 'mistake'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2415974/FIFA-President-Sepp-Blatter-admits-Qatar-2022-World-Cup-mistake.htmlWhat a mess FIFA is. This was obvious...

So stop p*ssing about, it''s just under 9 years away, give it to somebody else, like the runners up, as long as they don''t have 50 degree summer temperatures.

[quote user="OldRobert"]So stop p*ssing about, it''s just under 9 years away, give it to somebody else, like the runners up, as long as they don''t have 50 degree summer temperatures.[/quote]I am sure I read somewhere that they have some actual way of air conditioning the stadiums down to about 35 degrees.Still, ridiculous.(And environmentally unsound)

[quote user="morty"][quote user="OldRobert"]So stop p*ssing about, it''s just under 9 years away, give it to somebody else, like the runners up, as long as they don''t have 50 degree summer temperatures.[/quote]I am sure I read somewhere that they have some actual way of air conditioning the stadiums down to about 35 degrees.Still, ridiculous.(And environmentally unsound)[/quote]Agreed Morty.  I also read some cobblers about altering the whole tournament to the winter, which the European countries have said will cause chaos with their leagues for 3 years.

One thing I didn''t realise was "Qatari officials have also indicated a willingness to allow alcohol in "fan zones" at the 2022 FIFA World Cup"Wonder how that will work.Massive pens full of England and German fans. That''s a great idea...

It really is a shame that we''re in the year 2013 and the governing body of the world''s biggest sport is corrupt down to the ground, and there seems to be nothing anyone can do with it. I wish the major european league would break away from FIFA and UEFA. It would be best for the sport.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]One thing I didn''t realise was "Qatari officials have also indicated a willingness to allow alcohol in "fan zones" at the 2022 FIFA World Cup"Wonder how that will work.Massive pens full of England and German fans. That''s a great idea...[/quote]
Warn everyone before hand that if they misbehave under the influence.  Firstly you''ll get the crap knocked out of you then you''ll get locked up for a serious length of time.

More Mickey Mouse football to over excite the not too brightAnd rather than have the best countries, it will be skewed towards some representative nonsense whereby some obscure Pacific island has a team there but there is no Belgium, Norway or Turkey.The times of the games will be set to where ever the biggest market is based and every happy clappy who doesn''t know the difference between Bobby Charlton and Charlton Athletic will be driving around with plastic flags stuck to their car windows  Nine years on and that wise man of football Wayne Rooney will be giving his thoughts on the game alongside some Northern Irish nob with an inability to pronounce words correctly whilst Robbie Savage will have finally come out of the closet - which will mean we don''t have to see his .grinning face as it will be hid behind a yashmak.As dear old Gerry Harrison sung - my qatar gently weeps

As I mentioned a couple of months ago, I met somebody senior from one of the comapnies involved in the Air Con solution for the World Cup and he said that they are not close to coming up with anything that can get the temperature down far enough yet, he said it may happen. That said, 35 degrees indoors is still not suitable to play 90 minutes in or watch it as a supporter.

The solution is simple, they move it to the winter, preferably January when the weather over here is ideal. I am not saying it would be a great World Cup but at least the games would take place in decent conditions....now, just what the fans will do in Qatar for a couple of weeks is the issue...its a tiny country, Muslim rules etc.......here in the UAE would work, just I guess....or, shared between Qatar, UAE, Oman and Bahrain perhaps...but Qatar is stretching it a bit..... its not all about state of the art stadia and money after all...... 

Do we really need doddering corrupt old men well past retirement age running football? The corrupt João Havelange was in charge for 24 years before finally leaving at the age of 82. The appalling Sepp Blatter will be 79 when he finally leaves.

The I guess it will be a doddering Michel Platini spending the next 20 years trying to ban tackling...

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Do we really need doddering corrupt old men well past retirement age running football? The corrupt João Havelange was in charge for 24 years before finally leaving at the age of 82. The appalling Sepp Blatter will be 79 when he finally leaves.

The I guess it will be a doddering Michel Platini spending the next 20 years trying to ban tackling...[/quote]

The annoying thing is that not all Havelange''s and Blatter''s work has been bad. Between them (partly for reasons of Fifa politics) they have expanded the World Cup so it really is  a global tournament rather than one dominated by the old powerhouses of Europe and South America.In 1974, the last pre-Havelange WC, of the 16 countries nine were from Europe and four from S. America and just Australia, Haiti and Zaire from the footballing third world. In 2010, with 32 teams,  there were no fewer than six from Africa, plus Oz, New Zealand, Japan and both Koreas.

Heat and winter break issues aside,  who in their right mind holds the biggest football tournament in the world in a country with a population of 2million (roughly the same as Norfolk and Suffolk combined). I know someone said the stadiums are not the issue but what exactly will they do with these huge stadiums when the tournaments over?

--- PurpleCanary: 1974, the last pre-Havelange WC, of the 16 countries nine were from Europe and four from S. America and just Australia, Haiti and Zaire from the footballing third world. In 2010, with 32 teams,  there were no fewer than six from Africa, plus Oz, New Zealand, Japan and both Koreas.

There is no reason someone not taking bribes could have made the same decisions. The likely reason old corrupt autocrat Havelange did is for the cash.

How is it that saying goes "the wealthy make mistakes, the poor go to jail".

"In 1974, the last pre-Havelange WC, of the 16 countries nine were from Europe and four from S. America and just Australia, Haiti and Zaire from the footballing third world. In 2010, with 32 teams, there were no fewer than six from Africa, plus Oz, New Zealand, Japan and both Koreas."

Now if they could just fix it so that those countries and areas are also represented in the final and semi finals than we shall truly have a ''world'' cup - at least in TV rights and marketing sales.

So hurrah for the future and boo to old fashioned meritocracy.

And of course since 1974 3 new nations have won the tournament. Two from Europe, one from South America - two of them as host nation but I''m pretty sure that France, Spain and Argentina would all have been classed in the "powerhouse" bracket before fulfilling their potential.

The inclusion of more nations from wider afield has certainly made the tournament more accessible, more marketable but some of the nations have barely been worth their place and surely this devalues the tournament when better sides from both Europe and South America are sat at home.

Not an easy problem to solve with the qualifying regionalised but as it stands the World Cup will never have the best 32 teams in the world fighting it out, which surely should be the ideal.

The sticking point is that Qatar put their bid in to be held in the summer and the Fifa elect choose it based on their submission only then to realise. That''s how bad this is having to move the goal posts to justify their mess. Clearly a money spinner to line their pockets without clearly thinking. Maybe a global market shows you cannot host football in such climates and shouldn''t be considered in future.

What ever will this lead to next? Summer Olympics in the winter and vice versa for the Winter Olympics?

YB, supposedly the stadiums will be dismantled and rebuilt in sub-Saharan African countries.

Why don''t people think the stadiums can be cooled to pleasant temps? We have domed stadiums here that have a/c units big and strong enough to keep them comfortable. New Orleans is hot and sticky but the Superdome (built in the 70s) is comcomfortable. I imagine Qatar has dry heat which will be easier to cool.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]YB, supposedly the stadiums will be dismantled and rebuilt in sub-Saharan African countries.

Why don''t people think the stadiums can be cooled to pleasant temps? We have domed stadiums here that have a/c units big and strong enough to keep them comfortable. New Orleans is hot and sticky but the Superdome (built in the 70s) is comcomfortable. I imagine Qatar has dry heat which will be easier to cool.[/quote]Well for starters, unlike the New Orleans Superdome, the proposed stadia in Qatar don''t have roofs.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

As I mentioned a couple of months ago, I met somebody senior from one of the comapnies involved in the Air Con solution for the World Cup and he said that they are not close to coming up with anything that can get the temperature down far enough yet, he said it may happen. That said, 35 degrees indoors is still not suitable to play 90 minutes in or watch it as a supporter.

The solution is simple, they move it to the winter, preferably January when the weather over here is ideal. I am not saying it would be a great World Cup but at least the games would take place in decent conditions....now, just what the fans will do in Qatar for a couple of weeks is the issue...its a tiny country, Muslim rules etc.......here in the UAE would work, just I guess....or, shared between Qatar, UAE, Oman and Bahrain perhaps...but Qatar is stretching it a bit..... its not all about state of the art stadia and money after all...... 

[/quote]But that is not a solution is it, a World Cup in January is a farce.

Of course it is possible to air condition large areas (enough for a stadium)

But the concept off thinking about a Qatar World Cup without a roof on the stadium is unthinkable at any time of year.

There are huge snow domes built all over the world its hardly an issue to chill a stadium or two as long as they have a roof.

If money is not an object surely this has to be the solution.

Most leagues, at least in the Northern hemisphere, have winter breaks, England is rather exceptional in this respect. A January event would benefit from featuring in-form stars, not usual overused, drained, "I''d-rather-be-on-the-beach" lot.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Dubai Mark"]

[/quote]

But that is not a solution is it, a World Cup in January is a farce.
[/quote]

Why? Most of the World would prefer a January World Cup - it''s only Europe that wouldn''t. And then Scandinavia and Russia would both prefer it to be in January.

The World Cup isn''t just for the benefit of Western European countries and the sooner the administrations and fans in those countries get over their entitlement the better. Just because the World Cup has been in the summer up until now doesn''t mean it has to always be in the summer - if the competition is suppose to be global then it makes sense it has the flexibility to be held at different times of the year to suit people from different places in the world.

I don''t really care as FIFA along with all major groups are corrupt so it should not surprise anyone except that we the populace still accept it.

I have been in the us with domed stadiums controlling the heat from the 90''s to a mild 70 or below. I have lived in Singapore where a whole entertainment district has out side air conditioning, it has a raised glass roof over the shop house. I lived there for 9 months and controlled the outside temperature.

The World Cup is in a country with £££ to burn, adjust the stadia to have air com, the hotels, shopping centres, tourist facilities will have it all setup now.

Singapore had underground pathways linked the business district and beyond for thunderstorms but also to get out of the heat. I have been in the us where there is water vents over pathways spraying cool water over those who walk along from above.

This is a country that has money to burn and the technology is already available. I personally have no problem there, if you as a fan can''t take the heat then don''t go... Simple.

The stadia now can be dismantled, the term legacy is a fake one even with our Olympics with stadia being broken down. If I recall after the South African World Cup there was some stadia moved to other countries as we have tried to do with the brazil Olympics.

In the summer premiership teams have preseason tours to Asia in 90 degree heat with humidity high.

I have no problem with the World Cup in Qatar as they have the money to plough in. It is another expensive circus that I would rather was in rich countries that can waste it. Yes there are people who are very poor in these countries who oppose it and it does give a little limelight to them but with big business and corruption pulling it, the circus continues.

The summer World Cup can still take place itis nonsense to say it can''t when Qatar can afford to put these measures in place.