Sign in to follow this  
Bws Cat

Do people know what atmosphere is anymore? (3,2,1 and goal music)

As almost everyone on this forum knows, i''m not a big fan of the 3,2,1 caterwauling countdown or the goal music. I was very pleased to notice that the goal music was ditched at the start of the season.

But when I saw the facebook post from the club asking if goal music should stay ditched or make a comeback, I was shocked to find most people saying bring it back.

Even more shocking was people saying how they feel at loss without it, for example:

"YES, the atmosphere when we score isn''t as good without the music!"

"Yes! I love the music. People who say "no" are just boring and miserable!!!!"

"Oh yes please bring it back. It''s like a morgue at Carrow Road without it."

"YES, creates a party atmosphere - I really missed it v Everton :("

And this isn''t just a minority, there were a few more examples from people I have spoken too and on facebook, a lot of these people had ''likes'' on them too (up to 30-40).

My question is, have people forgotten what a real atmosphere actually is? Have people associated ''atmosphere'' with just being the loudest and fastest? Because in my opinion it''s more than that, it''s about showing your passion, not how long your vocal cords can last before bursting.

I''m not exactly a golden oldie, but I love it when songs are slowed down, it makes it seem less rushed and absurd. Why does our club song have to be so rushed, when compared to ''blowing bubbles'' by West Ham, or ''you''ll never walk alone'' from Liverpool/Celtic?

Heck, even ''when the saints go marching in'' which isn''t as complex as OTBC is more atmospheric and passionate than OTBC right now.

So basically, my questions to everybody are as follows:

- Have people changed their view of atmosphere?

- If they have, have they got the ''right'' view of it?

- How can we change that (if you want to)

- Why do you like the current way atmosphere is defined (if you do)

As city1st said, OTBC greatest part is it''s timelessness. Let''s not ruin it. Let''s not have our song rushed out like verbal diarrhea in 23 seconds ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFAHAq_rbY4 ).

I agree that the "3...2...1...KICK IT OFF!" should be abolished as it seems childish and silly.

However I admit that I am a fan of the goal music. I dont even know why to be honest... I think because I''ve grown up with it so to speak.

When was goal music introduced?

"However I admit that I am a fan of the goal music. I dont even know why to be honest... I think because I''ve grown up with it so to speak."

Now for me, that''s part of the problem. People who have grown up with goal music and known no different (which isn''t their fault) and reject the alternative of getting rid of it (in which case, it is your fault).

I find it hilarious people get so upset by goal music...

But the same people probably think swearing and insulting players/refs is a right laugh.

"I find it hilarious people get so upset by goal music... "

I don''t get ''upset'' by goal music. I don''t hear it at a match and leave the stadium.

I think however, getting rid of it and having the alternative of, IMO, a better atmosphere appeals to me.

You know what? Goal music, I really don''t care either way.The fact I am celebrating a goal is more important.

I found it a relief when the goal music stopped.   At the Everton match after the first goal, I couldn''t work out at first what was different, but after the initial cheer I could hear the excited murmur of people talking and discussing the goal  and it took me a few seconds to realise what it was.   Real people, reacting naturally to what had just happened.   Not boom boom boom moronic clapping then silence -  but a real reaction to real events.  The same after the second goal.

Applying inane music which only appeals to some, spoils it for a proportion of fans who don''t like it.   We all like our goals, so why should it be spoiled for some people, by having someone else''s view of how we should celebrate rammed down our ears? 

That 3-2-1 before kick-off.. How many people do you reckon join in? If folk didn''t join in they''d stop it. Wouldn''t they? I mean how many weeks would the guy "...and the snakepit..3-2-1.... [:#] before he began to look stupid?

I actually thought the celebration was much poorer without goal music. I''m fine without it, but don''t see how it improves atmosphere, not at home anyway. And not unless it''s a really important goal.

Atmosphere has been dropping for years, I''d say for last 7/8 years, very very few new decent chants, hardly any of the old ones sung. Any decent ones that are still around pretty much only at away games. And it''s similar for most top tier teams, not sure about lower leagues.

I really don''t see, as LDC suggests, goal music can ruin anything. How? All the home fans did with our goals without music is stand up applaud for 30 seconds and sit back down, reminds me of Crave Cottage when we lost 5-0, after there 4th and 5th goals after about 30 seconds it was only Norwich fans you could hear...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]

I really don''t see, as LDC suggests, goal music can ruin anything. How? [/quote]

There is a shortage of genuine reaction to anything these days.    Everything is hyped up with music and bright flashing lights.   I  don''t like  music in the wrong place at the wrong time.   They introduced some totally mind numbingly inane music during the Wimbledon coverage on the beeb - someone else deciding not just how you watch something, but trying to manipulate you in some way to have a "heightened" experience.   When we score I don''t need anyone to heighten the experience.  It is one of the best feelings there is for a football supporter.  It doesn''t need the music added and some people don''t like it. That is enough of a reason not to have it imo.

"However I admit that I am a fan of the goal music. I dont even know why to be honest... I think because I''ve grown up with it so to speak."

Now for me, that''s part of the problem. People who have grown up with goal music and known no different (which isn''t their fault) and reject the alternative of getting rid of it (in which case, it is your fault). "

Presuming of course that you are speaking from personal experience, of a time when you went to Norwich games before goal music, who''s to say that rejecting the alternative of getting rid of it is the fault of those who have grown up with it? You didn''t grow up with it, and you don''t want it. Others have grown up with it and do want it, or at least don''t mind it. Who''s right? Everyone, but ultimately only to themselves.For the record, I was a fan of the goal music growing up, though I can now see that it was slightly unnecessary at points. But as Morty says, ultimately it''s the fact that a Norwich goal was scored that is being celebrated, so goal music really doesn''t make a difference either way in my opinion, though I can see how it annoys some people. But hey, you can''t please all the people all of the time. [;)]

The 3-2-1 at the beginning really is pathetic, I have no feelings either way for the goal music. The sad reality is that the atmosphere at all grounds has diminished, I see no reason why safe terraces shouldnt be bought back to increase the atmosphere.

As Morty said, I''m more interested in celebrating the fact we''ve scored a goal.  Whether some music is played over the tannoy or not isn''t something that will ever get me annoyed.It''s pretty classic Pink Un to find misery in our team''s goalscoring.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Gingerpele"]

I really don''t see, as LDC suggests, goal music can ruin anything. How? [/quote]

There is a shortage of genuine reaction to anything these days.    Everything is hyped up with music and bright flashing lights.[/quote]Life was so much better when we were all living in caves.

i don''t mind the 321... kick it off, if i have had a skinful i enjoy it... we should embrace our song it,s a bit like a norfolk national anthem before kick off... people are far too worried about being cool and would rather sneer at things than enjoy themselves... this thread being a prime example... who really gives a fu(k ?

"people are far too worried about being cool and would rather sneer at things than enjoy themselves..."

What the hell are you talking about?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Gingerpele"]

I really don''t see, as LDC suggests, goal music can ruin anything. How? [/quote]There is a shortage of genuine reaction to anything these days.    Everything is hyped up with music and bright flashing lights.[/quote]Life was so much better when we were all living in caves.[/quote]

Very glib, but there is too much of it for me.   Certainly not during a football match.  Before,  half time or after a match, but not during.  Its to do with learning to respond naturally, without  being spoon fed piped kak or being choreographed into a certain way of reacting.   We should have more freedom from people that are trying to control us and our emotions.  We''re sleep-walking most of the time in modern society, spoon-fed by the media and social manipulation through constant bombardment of hyped up rubbish.   Goal music, even at the lowest level of things, is just another group of people trying to control your reactions.    I don''t go to football matches to listen and join in with piped music, I go to enjoy football. If you don''t like my point of view, fine I really couldn''t give a flying fig,  but if wanting to be free to enjoy things without the need for false emotional prods from someone else is wrong, then I will happily go and find the nearest cave.  

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Gingerpele"]

I really don''t see, as LDC suggests, goal music can ruin anything. How? [/quote]There is a shortage of genuine reaction to anything these days.    Everything is hyped up with music and bright flashing lights.[/quote]Life was so much better when we were all living in caves.[/quote]

Very glib, but there is too much of it for me.   Certainly not during a football match.  Before,  half time or after a match, but not during.  Its to do with learning to respond naturally, without  being spoon fed piped kak or being choreographed into a certain way of reacting.   We should have more freedom from people that are trying to control us and our emotions.  We''re sleep-walking most of the time in modern society, spoon-fed by the media and social manipulation through constant bombardment of hyped up rubbish.   Goal music, even at the lowest level of things, is just another group of people trying to control your reactions.    I don''t go to football matches to listen and join in with piped music, I go to enjoy football. If you don''t like my point of view, fine I really couldn''t give a flying fig,  but if wanting to be free to enjoy things without the need for false emotional prods from someone else is wrong, then I will happily go and find the nearest cave.   [/quote]Please do.

If it''s a catchy rockin'' tune, it''s fun. The Green Bay Packers play Bang On Me Drum which everyone enjoys. But if it''s some weak cheesey club tune that sounds like it came from a kiddie ride at the Pleasure Pier (pap like We''re the best, east or west, la la la dee dip de doodledy la, hooray for us) then shut it off!

The atmosphere is generally rubbish, choreographed singing and jumping or not.

The passion has generally gone from the English game, not just Norwich. Its been sanitised and packaged for the Sky sports generation. If you want atmosphere at a football game, its probably best to look beyond our shores.

If, understandably you want to follow your team ... then put up with it. Occasionally one of those games like Derby at home a couple of years ago will remind you of how it could be.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Gingerpele"] I really don''t see, as LDC suggests, goal music can ruin anything. How? [/quote]
There is a shortage of genuine reaction to anything these days.    Everything is hyped up with music and bright flashing lights.
[/quote]
Life was so much better when we were all living in caves.
[/quote]

Very glib, but there is too much of it for me.   Certainly not during a football match.  Before,  half time or after a match, but not during.  Its to do with learning to respond naturally, without  being spoon fed piped kak or being choreographed into a certain way of reacting.   We should have more freedom from people that are trying to control us and our emotions.  We''re sleep-walking most of the time in modern society, spoon-fed by the media and social manipulation through constant bombardment of hyped up rubbish.   Goal music, even at the lowest level of things, is just another group of people trying to control your reactions.    I don''t go to football matches to listen and join in with piped music, I go to enjoy football. If you don''t like my point of view, fine I really couldn''t give a flying fig,  but if wanting to be free to enjoy things without the need for false emotional prods from someone else is wrong, then I will happily go and find the nearest cave.  

[/quote]

Now back in the 60''s we relied on crowd noise, not American type Canned crowds, with pom pom girls and piped music, we don''t need it,  I would be one of the first to agree to getting rid of the Commercial side of football  

Away games we always seem to be in good voice, is it still only the Barclay end that do the majority of the singing at home?

[quote user="Henry"]If you want atmosphere at a football game, its probably best to look beyond our shores.[/quote]

Especially the German fans in the Bundesliga and probably lower down their league system too.  In fact it seems that, at the moment, the Germans have got just about everything right - i.e. ticket pricing, club ownership, atmosphere, promoting home-grown talent, etc, etc. 

Hope, for their sake, it keeps that way and they don''t sell out completely.

The Southampton game was the latest of my few visits to Carrow Road, and must honestly say, that until I read this thread I hadnt missed the goal music at all....didnt notice it was missing when we scored! That for me was a surprise, because if asked before that match, I would have always said to keep it. Was never a fan of the 321 bit either, but also dodnt notice it was missing either...........some nice looking professional cheerleaders would be good.....   

Not sure the 3-2-1 is missing Mark. I seem to remember it against Southampton but it could have been another game. We often get our days muddled up down in the blankets....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

That 3-2-1 before kick-off.. How many people do you reckon join in? If folk didn''t join in they''d stop it. Wouldn''t they? I mean how many weeks would the guy "...and the snakepit..3-2-1.... [:#] before he began to look stupid?

[/quote]

People don''t sing 3,2,1 anymore, whenever you hear it on a TV game or motd it sounds like a couple of thousand of people.