Sign in to follow this  
Houston Canary

We're going to Brazil :)

USA 2-0 Mexico. We''ve qualified for our 7th consecutive. Timmy Howard let in 2 vs. Norwich but shut down Chicharito, Guajardo and Dos Santos.

There, now it''s a Norwich-related thread. Landon Donavon was on fire tonight. He''s back, baby!!!!

Well done the US.

We''re nearly there but it is hard watching. Not sure how we''ll get out of the group stages but we should see Brazil for a couple of weeks anyway.

Yeah, it sucks how easy it is for USA, the likes of Honduras, Trinidad and Tobago etc are hardly tough opposition, but it is the WORLD cup so it makes sense to have representation from all over.

If everyone in the world got lumbered in on massive qualifiers, I can''t help but think the main tournament would be mostly European teams with the odd team from south america, and one or two from Africa/ Asia/ North America. Maybe i''m just being arrogant about European football though.

Wow, hadn''t realised how rubbish they were doing! 4th place in a group of 6 still means they would likely qualify, with only a game against the likes of New Zealand in their way. Seems a bit easy.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Wow, hadn''t realised how rubbish they were doing! 4th place in a group of 6 still means they would likely qualify, with only a game against the likes of New Zealand in their way. Seems a bit easy.[/quote]

They are 5th with two games to go, but you are correct that Concacaf is one of the easiest regions to qualify from - not that Honduras and Costa Rica should be under estimated.

New Zealand are a lot worse than their 2010 World Cup team, but that comes from having no serious competition in Oceania since Australia left. Fun fact; the first ever Kiwi player in the Premier League played for Ipswich and is called Lee Norfolk.

I''ve always thought Conmebol and Concacaf should merge. The chances are USA and Mexico would still qualify for the World Cup and would benefit from increased competitive fixtures against better teams. On a side note I cannot work out why the OFC is limping on after Australia left for the AFC, should just be merged into the AFC. I know neither will happen because FIFA won''t ever push for it and turkeys don''t vote for christmas.

Isn''t it traditional for the American to describe the winners of thier domestic competition as ''world champions''?

a world cup with out Mexico would be strange, after Brazil and Germany they have qualified for more world cups than any other nation apparently.

[quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"]I''ve always thought Conmebol and Concacaf should merge. The chances are USA and Mexico would still qualify for the World Cup and would benefit from increased competitive fixtures against better teams. On a side note I cannot work out why the OFC is limping on after Australia left for the AFC, should just be merged into the AFC. I know neither will happen because FIFA won''t ever push for it and turkeys don''t vote for christmas.
[/quote]

But then you will have New Zealand having to fly all the way out to Iran (and vice versa) for qualifying games. The OFC is a little bit useless, but as long as they are only granted .5 places in the World Cup it works well - it also means they can keep the Oceania Cup.

Also, there are 41 members in Concacaf - it''s far too big a group to merge with another. There is a strong argument for reducing the number of places they have though with the additional one going to Africa.

TCC, the MLS champion is not called world champion.

Bethnal, while CONCACAF does have lots of teams the vast majority are about on par with the likes of San Marino and Leichtenstien. That we get 3 and a potential 4th based on a playoff is very unfair to the quality European teams that don''t make it each time.

Combining with the S Americans wouldn''t add all that many countries but it would be tough travel for Canada at least, like it would be for NZ if they play in east Asia.

Congratulations to the US, hopefully we''ll see you there.
I do wonder if any US fas actually think this is that much of an accomplishment? I honestly think you should be qualifying with ease given the level of competition you are facing. The US could truly become a team to fear if they ever tap into the football loving Hispanic committees instead of only coaching those kids whose parents can afford to pay for them to be coached.
Davo

Davo, soccer is about the cheapest team sport there is. Cleats, shin guards, a ball and pair of keeper mitts is about it. It''s played here by people from all walks of life with all sorts of backgrounds. One look at our national team and the various U-age teams shows that.

Jurgen Klinsmann has said he will make tapping into the immigrant community a focus, but the truth is we''ve had plenty of first and second gen. immigrants at the highest level for years. Several are eligible to play for other countries (Mexico, Germany, Iceland to name a few) and some do play elsewhere after growing up here (Italy, Mexico).

Your opinion seems to be based on cartoonish negative stereotypes. They''re easy enough to believe so I can''t blame anyone for thinking they are true. The truth is what you say it should be.

From my point of view the Yanks seem to get better every year. When I started watching in the 80''s the US were abysmal. But slowly got better to the point where I think they are competitive with many European teams. Soccer/football has been and is a fringe sport in America. It''s gathering momentum but it still way behind Football Baseball Basketball. So I think their program has done wonders and they should be commended. The US finished tied top of the group with England at the 2010 World Cup. So they deserve some respect. But I guess you really don''t get respect until you make the final 4. But it wouldn''t surprise me if the Yanks do it in 2014. 

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Davo, soccer is about the cheapest team sport there is. Cleats, shin guards, a ball and pair of keeper mitts is about it. It''s played here by people from all walks of life with all sorts of backgrounds. One look at our national team and the various U-age teams shows that.

Jurgen Klinsmann has said he will make tapping into the immigrant community a focus, but the truth is we''ve had plenty of first and second gen. immigrants at the highest level for years. Several are eligible to play for other countries (Mexico, Germany, Iceland to name a few) and some do play elsewhere after growing up here (Italy, Mexico).

Your opinion seems to be based on cartoonish negative stereotypes. They''re easy enough to believe so I can''t blame anyone for thinking they are true. The truth is what you say it should be.[/quote]
My opinion is formed by listening to an American commentator who guest appears on a radio show over here and the callers from your country who take part in it. I never said football wasn''t a cheap sport to play I said you have a system where people are paying to have their sons coached at so called "soccer schools". Al you need to play football is a ball, nothing else is needed unless you are on your own in which case a wall is handy.
As for Klinsmann he is working with what he has available to him but is the scouting network of the MLS clubs and perhaps more importantly the US colleges finding the young talented players in the first place? In a country as massive as the US it''s a very hard job but if it can be done there is no reason why the US shouldn''t be a future World Cup winner.
Davo

Locally we have excellent soccer programs in the high schools and also leagues for schoolboys. I don''t know how widespread that is, but the hispanics are well represented.

If there''s a talented player, the colleges will be well aware. Our MLS team has a development program for teens. Likely most or all other teams do too.

Klinsmann wants to change the infrastructure and made that clear when being hired so its safe to say his process is being adopted. Judging by our fringe players, it seems to be working well. Gomez, Corona, Shea and the Icelander, we''ve got some good talent coming up. Not sure why your source has such a different POV. I wouldn''t go overboard and count on winning a WC any time soon but a semi finals appearance would be pretty satisfying regardless of the outcome. Pretty unexpected in 2014, too, but I can hope.