Sign in to follow this  
Warren Hill

Statues - But who is deserving of the honour?

It has been suggested on another thread (titled Delia) that when the day comes that she is no longer with us (hopefully many years from now) we should erect a statue in her honour, as a lasting testament to all that she has done for NCFC.

Dr Crafty Canary was the one who suggested it, he thought something similar to the Liverpudlian tribute to Bill Shankly would be apt.

What does everyone else think?

Should we have a statue? Who is deserving of such a tribute? Should we already be considering the likes of Geoffrey Watling?

I think it would be nice to acknowledge our history and also the sacrifices that individuals made to secure the future of the club we all support. I think GW would be a great starting place but like Dr.CC, I wouldn''t be averse to there being a lasting tribute to Delia Smith at FCR either.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

It has been suggested on another thread (titled Delia) that when the day comes that she is no longer with us (hopefully many years from now) we should erect a statue in her honour, as a lasting testament to all that she has done for NCFC.

Dr Crafty Canary was the one who suggested it, he thought something similar to the Liverpudlian tribute to Bill Shankly would be apt.

Should we have a statue? Who is deserving of such a tribute? Should we already be considering the likes of Geoffrey Watling?

I think it would be nice to acknowledge our history and also the sacrifices that individuals made to secure the future of the club we all support. I think GW would be a great starting place but like Dr.CC, I wouldn''t be averse to there being a lasting tribute to Delia Smith at FCR either.

[/quote]

I think there was a strong element of sarcasm in that poster''s Delia suggestion. And I imagine she would genuinely laugh off such an idea if anyone did take it seriously. I can''t think of one person who so exemplifies the club that they deserve a statue. Watling would come the closest.

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]Watling seems to be the only realistic option really.[/quote]

This..................and no one else![:|]

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Personally I think statues should be reserved for players or managers. Fitting tributes to Delia/Watling et al can be made in other ways.[/quote]

In that case there can only be one candidate. A statue of Dean Windass as The Unknown Player.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Are we really going to have the Statue thread again.

REALLY.....
[/quote]

You don''t have to read it.....do you have an opinion or are you just here to bleat?

Statues are so last century, they belong to clubs who are always bleating on about thier past whilst forgetting that thier present needs attention.

Our football club isn''t about one or two individuals, we are collective, made from our past, celebrated in our present and projected into our future. My suggestion is a giant electronic picture frame showing images of past, present and future of NCFC. People, places and ambitions that have shaped our club and will continue to keep it special to us all.

On a serious note, Statues should only really be for managers/players who''ve won major honours, (Shankly at Anfield, Busby/Fergie at Old Trafford, Jock Stein at Celtic, Ramsay/Robson at Poorman Road etc) or achieved greatness whilst at the club (Stanley Matthews at Stoke, Billy Bremner at Leeds, the Best, Law, Charlton one at Old trafford, Billy Wright at Molineux etc). Unfortunately despite our great history, fantastic players and managers that have graced the famous yellow shirts over the years, for me, no-one quite falls into either category. 

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

Statues are so last century, they belong to clubs who are always bleating on about thier past whilst forgetting that thier present needs attention.

[/quote]

Totally agree TC.

Despite the fact that the good doctor, 1st Wizard and David McNally have been vocal in calls for a Delia statue I think it''s a terrible idea. I''m a great fan of the history of our club and enjoy reminiscing with other fans. But history is what it is and the football club is about the here and now. The current players, management, owners and board. A pigeons toilet has no link to the present times. Serves no real purpose that can''t be served in books and archives.

The best memorials are things that bring the past and present together. Our memorial to Barry Butler isn''t left outside in all weathers to decay. It''s kept in pristine condition and is very much part of the present club from the owners to the youngest fan.

a statture of a director who took us to our lowest league position in nearly 50 years.....

Or a statue of a pioneering chairman, who oversaw a run to 5th, 4th and 3rd in the top flight, 2 cup semi finals and our greatest nights in europe!

Robert chase! it HAS to be!!!

;)

Along those pluralist lines TC, but sticking with the traditional format, how about a historical hideous hybrid statue. 

Watling''s hips (with pocket detail)

Delia''s hand (with ladle)

Keelan''s gloves (hang on)

Huckerby''s foot

Holt''s wrist

Ipswich''s bust

Webster & Cowper Nutchey''s double head (or should they be the fundament?)

Fry''s eye (pod)

Gunn''s forehead

Martin O''Neill''s glasses

Zema''s tendon

Graham Paddon''s beard

Joss Ackland''s spunky backpack

etc.

I am of the opinion like some others that statues at a football club should be about players or managers, and I also dont see them as something from another era, statues have been used for centuries and will be used to honour great people for many years to come.

Done well and in honour of the right people, then I would love to see an occasional statue around Carrow Road, but am struggling in respect of exactly who should be the subjects.....other than a few obvious one''s....and I would like to see perhaps one statue in particular celebrating the great''s from all generations together maybe in a team picture style......almost a super legends elite, particularly as there are now so many in the Hall of Fame...

David Stringer, Martin Peters, Ron Davies, Kevin Keelan, Hucks, Grant Holt etc

Its who to leave out that is the problem???? maybe not such a good idea :-(

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]a statture of a director who took us to our lowest league position in nearly 50 years..... Or a statue of a pioneering chairman, who oversaw a run to 5th, 4th and 3rd in the top flight, 2 cup semi finals and our greatest nights in europe! Robert chase! it HAS to be!!! ;)[/quote]

We could build it from bricks and mortar.

If I were to go for anyone, and it would have to be a former player or manager, then my choice would be Dave Stringer; not only has he played for the club at every level, youth, A-Team, reserves First team, he has also managed/coached the club at every level.

[quote user="PKC"]If I were to go for anyone, and it would have to be a former player or manager, then my choice would be Dave Stringer; not only has he played for the club at every level, youth, A-Team, reserves First team, he has also managed/coached the club at every level.[/quote]

Stringer is the only choice. No-one else is remotely close.

[quote user="GenerationA47"]

Good points, they must all be added.

Chase''s nose

Stringer''s... string

Brown''s suit

Saunders'' lungs

Gary Holt''s third lung

Iwan''s front teeth

[/quote]

Dion''s......

If Fulham have a statue of Michael Jackson because he has been to one of their games, and supposedly used to support them... Hugh Jackman supports Norwich and has been to FCR for our games..Get a staue of Wolverine outside the Barclay! [I]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Warren Hill"]

[/quote]

I think there was a strong element of sarcasm in that poster''s Delia suggestion. And I imagine she would genuinely laugh off such an idea if anyone did take it seriously. I can''t think of one person who so exemplifies the club that they deserve a statue. Watling would come the closest.

[/quote]

Here we go again. Who the hell are you to decide what my intentions were? There was no sarcasm in that post. The suggested motto was based on the Shankly statue motto amended to reflect her national fame as a cook.

Getting back to the OP''s question, I am generally wary of erecting statues as they have to reflect significant moments in the club''s history and for that reason might normally be expected to be of players and/or managers. In terms of directors Arthur South (who as Lord Mayor led the campaign to save the club when it went bust), Geoffrey Watling and Delia could be considered for a joint statue ala the Man Utd Charlton, law and best statue. For managers Ron Saunders would be a candidate for taking us into the top flight and Wembley for the first time.