Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

England drop to 17th in World Rankings!

[quote user="swindoncanary"]FIFA world rankings don''t count for much, I can guarantee that the top two teams on their rankings will not be the World Cup Finalists  [/quote]

They do count for alot, especially when it comes to seedings. We''re now unlikely to be a top seed at the world cup if we get there so could find ourselves in a ''group of death''.

[quote user="Carrow_Road_Canary"][quote user="swindoncanary"]FIFA world rankings don''t count for much, I can guarantee that the top two teams on their rankings will not be the World Cup Finalists  [/quote]

They do count for alot, especially when it comes to seedings. We''re now unlikely to be a top seed at the world cup if we get there so could find ourselves in a ''group of death''.[/quote]Again, I don''t think that''s going to make the greatest of differences.......

Still find it funny that people expect our National team to perform, we are sh1te and have been for ages !btw USA maintains a high ranking as most of thier games are vs places like the Phillipines or whatever

I think 17th is pretty good considering the actual performances the team has generally put in over the last 10 years, especially in competitive matches.

USA has to play games versus Belize and Antigua as part of our qualifying but so does Mexico.

We''ve beaten Italy and Germany in the last several months (and Mexico) so our ranking isn''t based solely on defeating crap teams. England has had some weak nano-national teams as opposition too.

I love the opinions the majority seem to have on England.

It''s either blind optimism, thinking we''ll win the World Cup. Or we''re crap.

It''s neither. We aren''t the best, we aren''t top 4. But as far as I can remember since WC 2002 we''ve reached quarter finals 4 or 5 times. We have played some decent football, we do have some decent players, and depending on your definition, the odd world class player. But the England game is built on effort and not skill. And that only works up to a point. It''s why we looked inept going forward against an ok-ish side in Ukraine without Rooney, because he is actually a very good player, just over hyped by some so his reputation is a bit ahead of his ability and that comes back to bite him sometimes.

Hodgson isn''t the right man for the job at the moment, he''s a good manager, he''s done some very impressive things throughout his career, but he won''t do anything impressive with England.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Hodgson isn''t the right man for the job at the moment, he''s a good manager, he''s done some very impressive things throughout his career, but he won''t do anything impressive with England.[/quote]
I agree with the rest you have posted but I am not sure about this bit. Who is there that is better? Harry "cheque book" Redknapp? I don''t see how he would be any better. We have a poor squad that is getting too over reliant on people over the age of 30 and very little in the way of youngsters coming through.
Davo

Even Australia don''t fear playing England anymore after their 3-1 victory last time they met...in England.

I don''t know why we are surprised at the low ranking, the EPL is only as good as it is due to foreign players.

How many Englishmen in our 25 man squad now?

GazinOZ, the four top profile players in Spain, are now not Spanish. Bayern, Germany''s wonder boys, have a large percentage of non-German players and spend loads of money. Same for top French teams, possibly Italian. Essentially the top teams throughout Europe have to buy foreign players, Barcelona''s large percentage of home grown players is a very big exception that proves the rule.

And Davo, there probably isn''t an English manager that can do better. But we will just have to go with something else. Hodgson isn''t inspiring anything, also it doesn''t matter about having players over 30, Spain still have a core of older players. I''d have been happy for Terrt and Rio to carry on at CB until two younger ones proved themselves, because even now Terry and Rio are probably better than Cahill and Jagiellka.

I also ink we''ve got length of decent enough youngsters. Again, not World Cup winners in all likelihood, but Zaha, Redmond, Rodwell, Jones, Luke Shaw, Wilshere, Sturridge, Smalling, Barkley, Ox, even Welbeck. We''ve got a decent range of 18-23/24 year olds who are either got a lot of potential or already playing well for top PL teams. Imnnot saying these players will win us anything, but if player right they''ll qualify fr the next couple tournaments and probably reach the QFs.

[quote user="Davo"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Hodgson isn''t the right man for the job at the moment, he''s a good manager, he''s done some very impressive things throughout his career, but he won''t do anything impressive with England.[/quote]
I agree with the rest you have posted but I am not sure about this bit. Who is there that is better? Harry "cheque book" Redknapp? I don''t see how he would be any better. We have a poor squad that is getting too over reliant on people over the age of 30 and very little in the way of youngsters coming through.
Davo

[/quote]

Whilst I think that international football should be about the best a country has, and that it should include a manager from the same country, for the sake of argument I think Jose Mourinho would have made an excellent England manager. England are never going to perform by having training sessions and the odd game in a blue moon. They are not going to improve performances in the way a club team might by gelling and learning to play together, as they are together so infrequently. So partnerships are never going to be at the same level as they are in club football unless you play club partnerships (ie Neville and Beckham on the right - players who play together for their club). Best chance of increasing performances on the international setting is to do it with psychology. Jose Mourinho is the master at this. I think he could really get the players playing above their ability, in the way a certain Mr Lambert did here.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]

I love the opinions the majority seem to have on England. It''s either blind optimism, thinking we''ll win the World Cup. Or we''re crap. It''s neither. We aren''t the best, we aren''t top 4. But as far as I can remember since WC 2002 we''ve reached quarter finals 4 or 5 times. We have played some decent football, we do have some decent players, and depending on your definition, the odd world class player. 

[/quote]

Yeah. Exactly. We''re not horrendously bad but we''re not the best either. We''re better than most (in the grand scheme of things) but there are a few who are quite a bit ahead of us.

I also don''t understand why people are so quick to turn their back on England when things aren''t going well. For me it''s no different to supporting Norwich, I''m sure most of us have stuck by Norwich through the bad times.

Who''s said they are Gazin?

Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard and maybe Terry/Rio (although not any more) are the only players in the last 5 years that claim to be ''world class''. Even if you don''t like them, Terry and Rio are very good CBs, or at least were, Gerrard and Lampard both have the ability to run a game, in a similar but also contrasting fashion to the likes of Xavi, Pirlo and Iniesta (i.e same impact, but different style) and Rooney is a class forward. Oh Ashley Cole as well, up until last/this year he was almost certainly one of the best LBs in the world, been fading recently though.

The English league benefits more than any other from foreign players I should think. That does effect the English players, but it should also help, the amount of varying styles in players and coaches/mangers from foreign lands coming here should have a bigger impact on our players, but it doesn''t seem to and the majority of England internationals still seem to be 95% huff and puff 5% ability.

P.S

Also we now, probably have for a while, I''m not sure, have this tendency to throw in players just because they can run fast. Walcott and Walker spring to mind. Walcott is incredibly frustrating, as he shows glimpses of decision making and skill, but then next game he just picks up the ball and runs at goal and loses the ball. Occasionally it works, but when it works best is when he picks out the pass at the right time, or shot. But he seems to only have small patches of form when he''s actually capable of that.

Although now i face the wrath of BYAG ;)

Its def been coming for a while. Myself, i''m an Italy fan and on paper the two countries are pretty evenly matched on paper. Though i feel thats where the similarities end. As countries we are very limited to having ''world class'' players in our team. Balotelli is obv the stand out player.

Like the Spanish,Germans,etc, Italy have their own style of play. Its easy for players like Rio to come out and say ''we need our own style like these countries''. Though what he doesn''t realise is these are drummed into them when they are kids. Generation after generation its the same.

A point what Dyke touched on was u21''s tournaments. Players like Pirlo played up until he was 21 before even getting his 1st call up and was regarded as one of the best in his position in the world. Playing these tournaments helps the youngsters with experience and England should utilise these more rather than use them in pointless friendlies.

The one point that annoys me the most as a Norwich fan is the big club mentality. Nowadays if you are not playing for the big 6 you don''t get a look in. Italy obv has a lot of players represented by Juve and Milan. Though no team is overlooked. Torino,Pescara,Bologna,Palermo,etc. All lesser known team,some even fighting relegation every season. But still have players picked. You play well for your team you get picked.

Friendlies. For the life of me i don''t understand Hodgson here. He knows what Rooney,Lampard can do. So why pick them. To build up their caps? Half the friendlies Italy play i haven''t even heard of half the players. I would much prefer to see a team with players like Lambert, Hooper, Foster, Howson, playing. So what if they lose. These are the type of players that want to play for their country and will bust a gut. I think the majority of English players out of the top 6 have all but given up.

[quote user="Hackedoff"]

. Its easy for players like Rio to come out and say ''we need our own style like these countries''. Though what he doesn''t realise is these are drummed into them when they are kids. .

[/quote]

Does he not realise that?

He''s played at the very top of the game for a decade. Won numerous league titles, the Champions League and picked up 81 international caps.

My guess would be that he probably has got a little bit of an understanding about training and development methods and techniques. He probably knows at least as much as the average pinkun poster.

England''s problems are plain to see when the likes of Downing (0 goals 0 assists in the preceding season) and Henderson went to Euro 2012. Nothing really changes as we have seen this week with a clogger like Milner in the forward wing position.

I would rather have seen Redmond out there, at least he has some semblance of flair and ability.

I think a lot of the chat is pretty unreasonable and based in opinion rather than reality.

People can slag Hodgson off all they like but he has pretty much done what Harry did in half the time and half the budget at the likes of West Brom - and he left them in a decent position - ie not in huge amounts of debt with money in an account under his dogs name and relegated.

Hodgson is a good manager and could be a good England manager - but the problem is that the squad is too thin and relies heavily upon emerging talent of which there is little.

How many of those players are first choice for their clubs? How many are suffering as a result of not getting regular football?

Milner should be in the form of his career but has been poorly managed at Man City and in my opinion poorly deployed when played as well. Very much a similar situation to lead to the lack of form and ability (IMHO) of Shaun Wright-Philips.

The majority of our teams experience is with the players past 30. We don''t have many players in the 25-30 bracket that have been on the scene for a few years and have good international experience.

The youngsters show promise but as you would expect are inconsistent.

And then you have the timing of the international breaks - just appalling.

I''ve never really paid that much attention to the FIFA rankings as it''s a pretty poor system. As others have said there are some regions where there are one or two very strong teams surrounded by teams from nations that barely have a postal system or regulated government let alone organised sports teams.

What will be will be - but I really do feel for Hodgson as I really don''t think there is a lot more he can do or change other than to bring in more youth from the U21''s which is not going to guarantee you any success either.

There is an argument, perhaps, that like with a club side, you could try and find a promising young manager to take over the role and just rule out the next couple of tournaments as a developmental phase but again, it has no guarantee of working.

As for a UK team - I think people mean a GB team.

I''d like to see a return of the annual Home Internationals which were played with some passion unlike the pointless ''''friendlies'''' that are trotted out now which are as boring as bat shit.