Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Will we see Hooper & RVW start for City?

Can we cater for both these players in a starting 11? Or are they too alike?

I know this weekends game will probably see a two man holding set up with two wingers, central midfielder and one striker and to be honest against a top 6 side I can understand this, but come the Villa game will we see 2 strikers?

Do we want to see two strikers?

I think we will make one change from the Southampton Game.                           RuddyWhittaker    Turner    Bassong    Garrido                    Tettey     Johnson Snodgrass             Fer                 Redmond                       Wolfswinkel

I think he will go with 3 stong, powerfull central midfield players to combat Paulinhio, Sandro and Dembele.

[quote user="Yella Foreva"]I think we will make one change from the Southampton Game.                           RuddyWhittaker    Turner    Bassong    Garrido                    Tettey     Johnson Snodgrass             Fer                 Redmond                       Wolfswinkel

I think he will go with 3 stong, powerfull central midfield players to combat Paulinhio, Sandro and Dembele.[/quote]

Think the debate of fer behind the striker has been put to bed, he won''t play there, he''ll be CM. think the only change will be olsson in to deal with the pace of walker

This thread is going a little off topic, my question was not aimed at the Spuds game but in general..........

Having seen Hooper play at Celtic last year and watching RVW I think they play the same style, good at running into space and both natural finishers around the box.

So can we fit them both into a starting 11 or will Hughton go with Elmander type and either Hppor or RVW or even just carry on with 1 striker?

Don''t think they''re too similar to play together. think they both play the role very differently.

RvW is all about movement off the ball and getting himself into the right areas and pulling defenders all over the place to create space to be exploited. He a;so has excellent technique and is good at linking up the play and laying it off for the midfielders to come forward.

Hooper is a predator. Maybe not quite as good movement as RvW off the ball but he''s a powerhouse and has more of a physical presence despite not being particularly tall. He''d be looking to feed off of any knock on''s and lay-offs from RvW and will play on the shoulders of the last defender.

I can see why people might think the two are too similar to play together, but I think that given time to gel together and learn each other''s games, they could build up a really good understanding and a potentially lethal partnership. In the meantime though and whilst Hooper gets fully up to speed, we have Elmander who can fill in and play a good supporting role. I think we have some great options up top once everyone is fully fit. Just need the midfield to start creating a bit more and get some decent balls in for Ricky to really attack.

I just can''t see RVW and Hooper being a natural fit to start games, I can only see them being on the pitch at the same time if we''re chasing a game and one has been brought on to partner the other .

the only 2 times in pre-season when they did play alongside each other, was the 2nd half on Braga away, where after scoring twice in the first half in an impressive display, Hooper was then played in a withdrawn role to accomodate RVW, with then rendered him totally ineffective.

the other time was vs Panahanikos, a bit hard to judge as Hooper was stretchered off shortly afterwards.

If we are playing one up front away at a place like Spurs, from his performance at Ireland last week, the one we should playing up there is Elmander?

it will be one or the other but not Both

Elmander is a player on form at the moment with his goals for us and internationally. you don''t drop a player on form even if there is a better player who can come in.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]it will be one or the other but not Both Elmander is a player on form at the moment with his goals for us and internationally. you don''t drop a player on form even if there is a better player who can come in.[/quote]

Though he didn''t do much against Southampton.

While he wasn''t standout against Southampton, his height and physicality was vital to ease the pressure on the midfield. It allowed RVW to be more involved too.

Elmander certainly did enough against Southampton to keep his place. As for Hooper, cant see him starting, but I can see him definately coming on second half as a direct replacement for RVW....... and I get a feeling it will be a very positive result tomorrow.  

When RVW and Hooper are both fit then there will definitely occasions when they both start. You don''t spend £5mill on a striker and sit him on the bench. Not sure which way round, but I''m sure they can rotate playing off each other.

The main problem is Elmander. On form you have to play him.

It''s a nice dilemma. Plenty of options.

I think we''d all love to see this come off because if it does, and it does have the potential, it would be both exciting and profitable. RVW is exceptional in the air and Hooper the predator it could be a match made in Canary heaven. Definitely worth trying for the money outlaid I would''ve thought.