Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Goodbye JACOB BUTTERFIELD

Beat me to the punch.

Not surprised he''s gone though, said a while back he wouldn''t make it here.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Just now on boro''s twitter pageMust admit I''m surprisedWonder what they offered [/quote]
I forget. Who has the authority to make the transfer fee disclosed? The selling or the buying club?
Either way I hope we find out what we got. What did we pay a year a go?

Tempted to say good riddance but perhaps a bit harsh.

Brought nothing to the cub in his time with us and came across as a bit of a tw*t to be honest.

"Why on earth did we let another player leave without a replacement? Hughton has been sayin for weeks that''s he''s down on squad numbers compared with last year. Selling butterfield makes no sence."

Hughton out

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Why on earth did we let another player leave without a replacement? Hughton has been sayin for weeks that''s he''s down on squad numbers compared with last year. Selling butterfield makes no sence.[/quote]

Of course it makes sense; Howson, Hoolahan, Fer, Elmander and probably Hooper are all more likely to play in the role supporting RvW than Butterfield is - his chance of getting a game at Norwich is tiny. Norwich now don''t have to pay his wages and actually managed to get a fee for him, a great bit of business considering how little football he has played for almost 2 years now.

Norwich''s squad was too big last year, hence the reason a lot of players were sent out on loan, even at 24/25 players some might consider that a little large - there is plenty of cover for every position (apart from maybe right wing) so it''s good to clear some of the deadwood out.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Why on earth did we let another player leave without a replacement? Hughton has been sayin for weeks that''s he''s down on squad numbers compared with last year. Selling butterfield makes no sence.[/quote]

Why would we need to replace a player who never played ?

[quote user="Nicko"]We had to pay a few million to Barnsley at tribunal didn''t we?[/quote]

Doubt it would be so high, compensation agreements are generally weighted around apperance fees, obviously would have paid very little in those. I expect Barnsley will get a cut in the money Norwich get from Middlesborough, but the most important thing is getting an unwanted player off the wage bill.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Nicko"]We had to pay a few million to Barnsley at tribunal didn''t we?[/quote]

Doubt it would be so high, compensation agreements are generally weighted around apperance fees, obviously would have paid very little in those. I expect Barnsley will get a cut in the money Norwich get from Middlesborough, but the most important thing is getting an unwanted player off the wage bill.

[/quote]

It didn''t go to a tribunal. We made what Barnsley said was an insultingly low offer, and when it was heading for a tribunal we suddenly upped the offer. The implication was that we were worried that - unusually - a tribunal might side with the selling club. From memory the final figure being talked about was around £750,000.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

It didn''t go to a tribunal. We made what Barnsley said was an insultingly low offer, and when it was heading for a tribunal we suddenly upped the offer. The implication was that we were worried that - unusually - a tribunal might side with the selling club. From memory the final figure being talked about was around £750,000.

[/quote]

Wonder if McNally was worried that the FA were sick of seeing him at tribunals...

Lat season it was reported that the Butterfield deal was started under the Lambert regime and that Hughton would be allowed to let him go if he didn''t feel he wanted him. Signed as an attacking midfielder I feel that Butterfield could have been good under Lambert but under the more cautious current manager there was no place for him. It wasn''t Butterfields fault the way things happened lets just wish him good luck. He took a wage because the club wanted to sign him I still feel he can make it under the right manager.

[quote user="ridgeman"]Last season it was reported that the Butterfield deal was started under the Lambert regime and that Hughton would be allowed to let him go if he didn''t feel he wanted him. Signed as an attacking midfielder I feel that Butterfield could have been good under Lambert but under the more cautious current manager there was no place for him. It wasn''t Butterfields fault the way things happened lets just wish him good luck. He took a wage because the club wanted to sign him I still feel he can make it under the right manager.[/quote]

Whilst driving down to Norwich for his unveiling Jacob Butterfield did a phone interview with Radio Sheffield to talk about him signing for Norwich (before Norwich had announced the deal, showing the intelligence of the guy) and he said that he had agreed the deal whilst Lambert was at the club and although it was strange to be signing for a different manager he didn''t mind (blah, blah, blah).

From the moment he stepped through the door at Norwich he was never really wanted and his fleeting apperances show this never really changed. Will be interesting to see how he does at Middlesborough as he was highly rated at Barnsley, although only really impressed for a brief spell before getting injured. My predicition for his future career is on a trajectory like Jason Shakell''s, good championship player but will never really make the step up.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="ridgeman"]Last season it was reported that the Butterfield deal was started under the Lambert regime and that Hughton would be allowed to let him go if he didn''t feel he wanted him. Signed as an attacking midfielder I feel that Butterfield could have been good under Lambert but under the more cautious current manager there was no place for him. It wasn''t Butterfields fault the way things happened lets just wish him good luck. He took a wage because the club wanted to sign him I still feel he can make it under the right manager.[/quote]

Whilst driving down to Norwich for his unveiling Jacob Butterfield did a phone interview with Radio Sheffield to talk about him signing for Norwich (before Norwich had announced the deal, showing the intelligence of the guy) and he said that he had agreed the deal whilst Lambert was at the club and although it was strange to be signing for a different manager he didn''t mind (blah, blah, blah).

From the moment he stepped through the door at Norwich he was never really wanted and his fleeting apperances show this never really changed. Will be interesting to see how he does at Middlesborough as he was highly rated at Barnsley, although only really impressed for a brief spell before getting injured. My predicition for his future career is on a trajectory like Jason Shakell''s, good championship player but will never really make the step up.

[/quote]

Careful, you''l have his Mum after you...

I can''t help thinking Butterfield was an in case we go down signing. Good in the championship and likely to stay and play at that level.

We have grown faster than even the wisest of club officials thought.

I kinda feel sorry for the guy.

He was signed as Lambert was heading for the exit, must have been pretty excited about the future and the chance for playing in the premiership.

Hughton didn''t really rate him and the dream turned sour somewhat.

Fair play to him for sticking it out and trying to get in the team... best for all parties that he moves on though now.

So will we rue the day we let Jacob Butterfield go do people think (ie will his career resurface with a good run at a lower level). We''ve been pretty patient with him so I dont really see how the club could realisitcally have not sold him, but with such a reputation, you really wonder if we might one day regret this. I wonder if it was just a case of him never quite being the same player after such a bad injury. Such a shame we never really got a chance to see what he could do

Jacob Butterfield, Lambert''s parting gift.

We should try and claim the fee and wages we wasted back off St Paul.....thank god Howghton can pick a player....

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

So will we rue the day we let Jacob Butterfield

but with such a reputation, you really wonder if we might one day regret this.  [/quote]

No.

What is his reputation? He had a few good months for Barnsley and it seems to me that fans have got a bit carried away with it.

If he was as good as all the hype then we''d have given him more of a look in. I don''t think we''re in a position to overlook outstandingly talented young players.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

So will we rue the day we let Jacob Butterfield

but with such a reputation, you really wonder if we might one day regret this.  [/quote]

No.

What is his reputation? He had a few good months for Barnsley and it seems to me that fans have got a bit carried away with it.

If he was as good as all the hype then we''d have given him more of a look in. I don''t think we''re in a position to overlook outstandingly talented young players.

[/quote]

It''s interesting. Is it only at Norwich that players seem to vastly improve for not actually playing?

Cody Mac, Marc Tierney, David Fox, Jacob Butterfield....?

Fox can probably feel a bit hard done by to be on the list but the way some were talking about him last season he''d become Andres Iniesta.

So.

Farewell then Jacob Butterfield

Someone said you were quite good.

I think you had a beard like Bradley.

But I''m not sure.

"Why am I here?''" was your catchphrase.

EJ Thribb (17 1/2)

Yes of course.  Let''s have a go at Hughton for being defensive and not fancying the attacking brilliance that Jacob brought to us shall we?

Too pat. too easy, too predictable and frankly, too Paul Moy.

I would be impressed by this argument if when in his loan spells in Championship, Jacob had done well.   Sadly that was not the case.   Even though he helped Palace towards promotion, the ever desperate Holloway never wanted to keep him.   In that respect he did less well than Chris Martin and Korey Smith.

Perhaps in his injury he lost something.  Players do.   We have never been so blessed that a good player cannot come through at City and he did not make it in two seasons.  It is one of those things.  I wish him well.  But, I do not see how this is down to Hughton.