Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Tottenham Hotspur v Norwich City Pre - Match Thread

Match: Tottenham Hotspur vs Norwich CityGround: White Hart LaneReferee: Lee MasonRecent MeetingsDraw - Norwich 1 (Hoolahan) Spurs 1 (Bale) - 30th January 2013 (Prem)Win - Norwich 2 (Vertonghen (og), Jackson) Spurs 1 (Bale) - 31st October 2012 (League Cup)Draw - Spurs 1 (Dembele) Norwich 1 (Snodgrass) - 1st September 2012 - (Prem)Win - Spurs 1 (Defoe) Norwich 2 (Pilkington, E Bennett) - 9th April 2012 - (Prem)Lose - Norwich 0 Spurs 2 (Bale x 2) - 27th December 2011 (Prem)Recent SigningsPaulinho - 17MNacer Chadli - 7MRoberto Soldado - 25MEtienne Capoue -8MChristian Eriksen -11MErik Lamela - 25MVlad Chiriches - 8.5MRecent Results(Lose) Arsenal 1 Spurs 0(Win) Spurs 1 - Swansea 1 (Soldado Penalty)(Win) Crystal Palace 0 Spurs 1 (Soldado Penalty)Personally I think we are playing Spurs at a good time. With the international break, their new signings still haven''t had time to fully settle. Spurs are yet to score a goal in open play and with a fully fit Bassong playing CB I can see us seriously frustrating them in the final third.Defensively Spurs have looked good, although I believe Capoue is out with a lengthy injury. Walker (if he plays) will probably be the main defensive target we focus on. If we get Redmond running at him with pace I can see chances opening to get balls into the box.Our record against them is very good, With Bale having scored 4 of their last 6 goals against us.We all know how.... bad we can be on the road however so I expect a tough contest, especially if Lamela and Eriksen get a run out.                  My TeamWhittaker Turner Bassong GarridoSnodgrass Fer Howson Redmond                Elmander              WolfswinkelWith Hooper on the bench (if fit) to replace Elmander some time during second halfPrediction: Spurs 1 Norwich 1

Our closest away game!

I feel the likes of Pilkington, Olsson, Hoolahan and Hooper will be chomping at the bit to start. It''ll be interesting to see what Hughton goes with.

I''d go with the same line up as last time out though, add Bunn, Martin and Howson to that bench. Tettey and Becchio miss out. Fox and Ayala still kept out too.

I have a feeling we might see a midfield of Johnson, Tettey and Fer. Tottenham will dominate possession and these three are Norwich''s best midfielders without the ball, doubt Howson will start.

Norwich will probably look to maximise restarts, and again have a feeling Pilkington will start ahead of Redmond for that reason as well as being much more disciplined defensively. Allowing players such as Chadli, Lamella, Eriksen etc to overload on Garrido would be a disaster.

My team would be:                                  Ruddy            Whittaker Martin  Bassong  Garrido             Snodgrass Johnson Tettey Olsson                                   Fer                         V.WolfswinkelMight seem a little harsh to leave Redmond out, but I feel this team gives us the best chance of getting a result.OTBC

[quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"]My team would be:                                  Ruddy            Whittaker Martin  Bassong  Garrido             Snodgrass Johnson Tettey Olsson                                   Fer                         V.WolfswinkelMight seem a little harsh to leave Redmond out, but I feel this team gives us the best chance of getting a result.OTBC[/quote]Would personally prefer Pilkington than olsson in that position

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"]My team would be:                                  Ruddy            Whittaker Martin  Bassong  Garrido             Snodgrass Johnson Tettey Olsson                                   Fer                         V.WolfswinkelMight seem a little harsh to leave Redmond out, but I feel this team gives us the best chance of getting a result.OTBC[/quote]Would personally prefer Pilkington than olsson in that position [/quote]

A possible factor is that Olsson played all the way through both Sweden''s games on Friday and yesterday. Elmander played for all but ten minutes of both of them.

Ruddy
            Martin Turner  Bassong  Garrido

Snodgrass Johnson Tettey Pilks
                                   Fer
                         V.Wolfswinkel

Away set-up v top 4 team.

When we are losing on 70 I would move Fer into central, sub Johnson for Elmander (to play off the Wolf) and Redmond on for Pilks. Simples.

[quote user="LondonCanary"]

Ruddy

Fer
                         V.Wolfswinkel

[/quote]

Yeah... but we''re playing Spurs.

Fer has to stay where he was last game, we tried the other way versus Hull and our midfield was a disaster!

Redmond simply has to play too in such a rich vein of form. He will have peaks and troughs at such a young age, so we should get him used while he''s doing well and confidence is flowing. 1 more good performance and he''ll be in the England team if current selection policy is anything to go by!

I think Elmander and Winkel should go again and try keep the ball stuck up front when we can rather than just invite Tottenham on.

We might as well take the game to them.

I honestly wouldn''t change the starting 11 from the last game. The bench will look different with Olsson and Hooper on there, but why fix what isn''t broken?

[quote user="LondonCanary"]

Ruddy

Fer
                         V.Wolfswinkel

When we are losing on 70 I would move Fer into central, sub Johnson for Elmander (to play off the Wolf) and Redmond on for Pilks. Simples.

[/quote]

That will just leave Van Wolfswinkel starved of service and Fer out of his best position.

I remember Johnson had a cracker down there last season and was incredibly unlucky Friedel was having such an incredible day in net. He should play and as an ex gooner, he''ll be bang up for it.

Elmander will work well as a defensive forward for us in that if in doubt, we can find him and he''ll hold the ball up as well as anyone. This will mean Redmond, Snoddy and RVW will actually see the ball in the game rather than chase shadows.

Good points Jimmy - will be interesting to see what CH goes for (our best team so far or more defensive set up). Its great we actually have some options this season!!!

I love it when people have set ideas about substitutions without regarding how the game is going and, more importantly, how different players are performing.

Substitutions cannot be, and should not be, pre-thought out before seeing how the game progresses and the form of the players (except in Football Manager!).

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]I love it when people have set ideas about substitutions without regarding how the game is going and, more importantly, how different players are performing.

Substitutions cannot be, and should not be, pre-thought out before seeing how the game progresses and the form of the players (except in Football Manager!).[/quote]Personally don''t see Elmander playing for an entire 90minutes after his Sweden international the other dayHence why I believe he will be subbed in the second halfMost likely for Hooper who if Fit would get a decent 20 odd minutes

I don''t see why you shouldn''t plan any substitutions and plan scenarios to be honest. Yes you can change your mind if/when the game isn''t going as planned but it''s worth having some well worked ideas on how you are going to use your subs, especially if some players aren''t 100% fit.

I''d quite like to see Pilks, Olsson and Hooper given some game time if the score and general game is alright.

Next you''ll tell teachers they shouldn''t bother plan because the kids will just not follow the lesson anyway.

Having alternatives for different scenarios is one thing, to have something set out in stone is another.

"I''d quite like to see Pilks, Olsson and Hooper given some game time if the score and general game is alright."

There''s a little word in the middle of that - ''if'' - that means so much. There will certainly be plans of ways to make changes and it is correct to think about alternatives, just as there would be plans to replace injured players with different substitutes, but to make a general statement about would should happen is ridiculous.

You shouldn''t change a winning side.

....''Nathan, you were MOM last weekend, scored your first premier league goal, had a fantastic game for the U21s, teams are still working out how to handle you and you''ll more than likely be up against Kyle Walker who''s probably already sh****g himself at the prospect of you running at him.............I''m afraid you''re not playing today''

If will be a mistake if Redmond doesn''t start.

[quote user="Curious Orange"]You shouldn''t change a winning side. ....''Nathan, you were MOM last weekend, scored your first premier league goal, had a fantastic game for the U21s, teams are still working out how to handle you and you''ll more than likely be up against Kyle Walker who''s probably already sh****g himself at the prospect of you running at him.............I''m afraid you''re not playing today'' If will be a mistake if Redmond doesn''t start.[/quote]

Nicely put.  Let''s see if Hughton feels the same way !

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]I love it when people have set ideas about substitutions without regarding how the game is going and, more importantly, how different players are performing.

Substitutions cannot be, and should not be, pre-thought out before seeing how the game progresses and the form of the players (except in Football Manager!).[/quote]

You shouldn''t take things so literally. Clearly substitutions are not pre-planned on a Wednesday – people are just batting around possible line ups and situations.

I''d go with an unchanged side. The only change I''d consider would be Pilks for Redmond, purely because I would worry about Garrido getting overloaded

Olly wrote the following post at 11/09/2013 10:10 PM:

I''d go with an unchanged side. The only change I''d consider would be Pilks for Redmond, purely because I would worry about Garrido getting overloaded

I''d agree even as far as Pilks.

We must remember we still have new players in this team who are still gelling. We now also have good cover. As well as Pilks there is Olsson, Howson, Tetty and Hooper, if he is fit. The squad is far stronger than least season but will need time to settle so, for the moment, as few changes as possible.

If some are worried about Garrido getting overloaded if Redmond plays, the simple option is to play the quicker, stronger and IOM better left back in Ollsson.

This would seriously give the rightside of Spurs something to think about!  They would be dealing with not just one, but two very quick wide men.  Being caught on the break would be a high risk and one they are not used to?

If we still look vulnerable with Redmond, then Pilks can come on to replace him or Garrido comes on with Ollsson pushing up.

The counter attacking threat that Ollsson and Redmond give is too good to pass up and in their own way act as a deterent to Spurs pushing on too much!

Just a thought?

Snake

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]

Might as well do it in a game we aren''t expecting to bag 3 points from.
[/quote]

Speak for yourself.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Might as well do it in a game we aren''t expecting to bag 3 points from.[/quote]

Speak for yourself.

[/quote]I''m predicting 1. Given our shocking away form 3 from Spurs would be a bonus.

Ok, so Walker got exposed a bit by someone quicker than him. Much like Whittaker seems to be exposed by anyone with any pace. It doesn''t mean that he isn''t a quality player and one we need to be very wary of. Against Everton we managed to combat their left sided threat very well, but not the right. In my opinion Redmond shouldn''t start this one, simply because he isn''t the best player for this particular task. Spurs are very good down the right and Pilks or Olsson will provide better defensive cover. It''s ''horses for courses'' and all that. I''d much rather see Redmond coming on with 20 to go to terrorise that Spurs defence. Then back in the side to run riot over Villa and/or Stoke. 

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Garrido

Johnson   Fer

Snoddy Elmander Pilkington

RVW