Sign in to follow this  
Le Bob

No stadium expansion for 2/3 years

Originally ithink McNally said 3 season in a row in the prem for expansion.

New interview he has recently done now he is now saying 2/3 years drom now.

I''m happy with his justication, i would rather have a better team too.

Cant get the link to work as on iphone - goto you tube and type in ''the future of carrow road''

Thanks

OTBC

[quote user="Le Bob"]Originally ithink McNally said 3 season in a row in the prem for expansion.

New interview he has recently done now he is now saying 2/3 years drom now.

I''m happy with his justication, i would rather have a better team too.

Cant get the link to work as on iphone - goto you tube and type in ''the future of carrow road''

Thanks

OTBC[/quote]

To be clear he is not saying it WILL happen in two or three years'' time. The quote is:"I can''t see that happening.in the next two or three years."

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]If there is to be stadium expansion, where do you guys see it happening ? Presumably enlarging the City stand will be first up, though the N+P is actually an older structure ?[/quote]I think the only viable option is to replace the City stand in its entirety. Which gives them a real nightmare re-seating folks while its done. Had it been easier I do wonder if they would have done it by now.

I think once that stand gets done it''d look a really nice ground. I do wish the match day cameras looked at the Jarrold, looks much nicer.

I think any stadium expansion would have to be funded partly by the local government too, and we''d need to attract big gigs to the stadium too.

Perhaps we could have it sponsored by a company, nothing too awful like Sports Direct, but Aviva (we could be like the rugby ground then!) or a phone company etc. They could help fund the expansion then.

If we could get rid of that rickety old stand and put a 12k stand there, we''d be up to 35,000.

I agree though, i''d rather a better squad first, one in which i felt relegation was massively avoidable, Everton standard.

He also said there was no truth or foundation in the rumours that we were or had been considering a move to a new site, including UEA owned land which, hopefully, should put that claim and attempted justification to bed once and for all.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]If there is to be stadium expansion, where do you guys see it happening ? Presumably enlarging the City stand will be first up, though the N+P is actually an older structure ?[/quote]I think the only viable option is to replace the City stand in its entirety. Which gives them a real nightmare re-seating folks while its done. Had it been easier I do wonder if they would have done it by now.[/quote]

But it has been done before, morty, when the South Stand was rebuilt. It would be difficult but not impossible to reseat 4,000 fans. If when the time came season tickets were, again, capped at 22,000 but with no new sales, then the annual wastage would probably free up a few hundred seats. Then if there were effectively no or very few casual ticket sales to NCFC fans that would free up perhaps 2,000 seats. A dispensation from the PL to reduce the number of seats we had to make available to away supporters would free up - say - another 1,000. Add in some temporary seating, in front of the hotel, and you are getting to or very close to 4,000.

[quote user="Wiz"]I imagine they''ll be a ban on away fans for starters[/quote]Not sure if they are able to do that, but it would go some way to easing the problem.I think it was easier when we did the South stand as, I''m not sure, but I don''t think we were selling out then.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]If there is to be stadium expansion, where do you guys see it happening ? Presumably enlarging the City stand will be first up, though the N+P is actually an older structure ?[/quote]I think the only viable option is to replace the City stand in its entirety. Which gives them a real nightmare re-seating folks while its done. Had it been easier I do wonder if they would have done it by now.[/quote]

But it has been done before, morty, when the South Stand was rebuilt. It would be difficult but not impossible to reseat 4,000 fans. If when the time came season tickets were, again, capped at 22,000 but with no new sales, then the annual wastage would probably free up a few hundred seats. Then if there were effectively no or very few casual ticket sales to NCFC fans that would free up perhaps 2,000 seats. A dispensation from the PL to reduce the number of seats we had to make available to away supporters would free up - say - another 1,000. Add in some temporary seating, in front of the hotel, and you are getting to or very close to 4,000.

[/quote]We were typing at the same time there!As I said, I don''t think we were filling the stadium when we did the South stand?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]We were typing at the same time there!As I said, I don''t think we were filling the stadium when we did the South stand?[/quote]

No, we were. Crowds above 20,000 through the previous season, which was effectively the limit.

New City stand will need to be two tier of around 6,000 per tier plus room for private boxes, not sure if there is enough room behind City Stand to build there.

Have to leave enough room for emergency services around the stadium, may have to resite some of Carrow Rd can that be organised or even permitted. Certainly the flower beds or whatever they are behind City stand will have to go.

Think maybe 8,000 could be fitted in leaving 30,000 is a more probable solution.

My brother is a Preston fan, and apparently they had the same problem in that when they had to do the last piece of the jigsaw at Deepdale the old stand was hemmed in by a road/houses. So apparently they did go for a higher construction. They had no end of problems with this proposal from the local residents, which at least we do not have to worry about , as the only place affected would be Morrisons !

Build over the road like at St James'' Park.

We eventually want to build, or we''ll be like Portsmouth, hit a brick wall then start going backwards.

It depends what people think our limit is.

Is there any way we could fit 3k more seats in without a new stand?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Build over the road like at St James'' Park. [/quote]

Has this idea been mentioned before?  Its a great idea.   You could leave the city stand as it is and build over it, with the main foundations being behind the current stand and in the boundary wall between the two roads.   It solves the problems of displacing supporters and wouldn''t change the access to the stadium.   

(Don''t worry, this will be my only input on this thread, unless you are sad enough to want to derail it)

No derailing here, Lakey. You make some very pertinent points. I suppose the truth is that, any structure at CR would not be as big as the one at Sid James Pk . I''m no civil engineer, but certainly a two tier structure would fit the bill and ,as others have said ,increase capacity by about 6000. Do we REALLY need more than about 35k at present ?? But, yes, the flower beds by Carrow rd would have to be history !!

That''s my understanding also of what Fulham are doing.
That sort of scheme might also give a more proportionate expansion. Say another 4000 seats. I really struggle to see where we are going to find the extra attending supporters to fill a 35k stadium - without dropping prices which is self defeating to some extent. To be honest I do wonder if we would sell out at 30k albeit that is from my own experience of buying casual tickets and noting a trend that they seem to be selling more slowly.
A sold out stadium does add to the atmosphere, and losing that could be to our peril.
OTBC

Seems to me 35K may be pushing our limit and actually have a reverse effect on Season Ticket sales, as the casual supporter will almost be guaranteed a seat. I believe the sensible option for now is to fill the gap in front of the hotel. Another 1500-2000 seats there for casuals would be great. Next to the away fans as well, it could be Snakepit MkII, but in spitting distance. A double cage type wire fence between the fans would be great for hurling abuse with no danger of a fist in your face!

City stand expansion can wait until we''re in the Champions League!

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]

Seems to me 35K may be pushing our limit and actually have a reverse effect on Season Ticket sales, as the casual supporter will almost be guaranteed a seat. I believe the sensible option for now is to fill the gap in front of the hotel. Another 1500-2000 seats there for casuals would be great. Next to the away fans as well, it could be Snakepit MkII, but in spitting distance. A double cage type wire fence between the fans would be great for hurling abuse with no danger of a fist in your face!

City stand expansion can wait until we''re in the Champions League!

[/quote]
The possibilities and impracticalities of an infill in front of the hotel was discussed at length on a thread earlier this year. Can not remember the thread name but it was extensive!!!
LDC is doing very well to bite his tongue on this one!!!

My take on expansion is this. I don''t believe the foundations on the current City stand are up to expansion, and the facilities inside the stand are also a bit dated, so really starting from scratch is the best option. A bigger stand will straddle Carrow road, so obviously there may be some planning issues there.If we can afford it, and it has no detrimental effect of player purchases, we should go straight to about 35k. Building a wee bit, then a bit more will work out more expensive, and will just prolong disruption.

Are you talking the "old" Carrow Rd or the new one (between the flower beds and Morrisons car park) , Morty ? Whatever, there certainly are going to be some planning issues, and that''ll all take up valuable time. Let''s not forget that our friends down the A140 extended Portaloo to over 30k. How often is THAT filled ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Are you talking the "old" Carrow Rd or the new one (between the flower beds and Morrisons car park) , Morty ? Whatever, there certainly are going to be some planning issues, and that''ll all take up valuable time. Let''s not forget that our friends down the A140 extended Portaloo to over 30k. How often is THAT filled ?[/quote]The old Carrow road. We have discussed this a lot on here, am not sure if the club owns that road now or not.Lol, I hope we in no way follow the "Ipswich model"

[quote user="morty"]My take on expansion is this. I don''t believe the foundations on the current City stand are up to expansion, and the facilities inside the stand are also a bit dated, so really starting from scratch is the best option. A bigger stand will straddle Carrow road, so obviously there may be some planning issues there.If we can afford it, and it has no detrimental effect of player purchases, we should go straight to about 35k. Building a wee bit, then a bit more will work out more expensive, and will just prolong disruption.

[/quote]
Morty that would be a fair old replacement for the City Stand to get an extra 8k seats. I think I could go along with your argument if it was done in stages. Build a stand that could be easily expanded once demand was there.
This is what Brighton did at the Amex. Completed an extra tier on the East Stand plus corner infills. Done very quickly and at low cost. I think some of it was done just for the Arsenal cup tie - so expansion in days. Obviously all the preparatory stuff, like environmental reports were already in place. 
I guess it was a good way for them to test the water - coming from the Withdean and crowds of about 4.5k it must have been difficult to assess what capacity they would need.

Morty and Purple Canary - a while back in another thread on the same issue I explained that the club have already thought about the issue of what to do about season ticket holders while a new City Stand is being built.

What they are considering doing is building a new City Stand over two seasons - building the left half one season and the right half the next (or the other way round).

This would mean only reducing the capacity by 2,000 for the season while the first half was being built - allowing the club to keep all season ticket holders happy and keep the present away allocation as they are required to do by PL rules (although it would be very difficult to get casual tickets for that season).

For the second season - the increased capacity in the newly built half of the City Stand would mean that there would be no problems fitting everybody in.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]Morty and Purple Canary - a while back in another thread on the same issue I explained that the club have already thought about the issue of what to do about season ticket holders while a new City Stand is being built.

What they are considering doing is building a new City Stand over two seasons - building the left half one season and the right half the next (or the other way round).

This would mean only reducing the capacity by 2,000 for the season while the first half was being built - allowing the club to keep all season ticket holders happy and keep the present away allocation as they are required to do by PL rules (although it would be very difficult to get casual tickets for that season).

For the second season - the increased capacity in the newly built half of the City Stand would mean that there would be no problems fitting everybody in.[/quote]Oh right, I must have missed that, I have to admit I never considered a "Right half and left half" scenario.Would it be two tiers, or much the same as the Jarrold?