Sign in to follow this  
Thorny

We play away from home against a team that spent £100m+ and lose 2-0

What is the deal with some of our fans today? Not all.

Spurs have spent well this past summer, the score line could of been worst. Many fans are posting, calling CanaryWhinge as though we deserve a win.

In my opinion, this Spurs team is far superior to many we''ve played the past few seasons away.

We got bossed, we lost midfield but still didn''t roll over. The officials biased in parts but you expect that against a top 6 side at home.

I''m not losing any sleep over this result where a few will be wanting heads to roll. Why?

Next week should be far better but against that Spurs team today, 1 point would have been flattering.

It was clear we were overrun in midfield after 10 minutes and it a matter of time before they scored. Yet we persisted with 2 isolated players up front rather than getting another body in midfield until the 75th minute. Eriksen who ran the game said himself "there was lots of space for me" yet Hughton took until 15 minutes from time to react to that.

And yet again we sat back with 9 players behind the ball with no intention of ever trying to win the game.

It''s not the result that is worrying but yet again another 1/10 performance.

Thorny

The problem has nothing to do with the opposition, it''s the negative tactics and the woeful performance our players give away from home.

Yes on paper we were always unlikely to get anything from to days game and normally if you were beaten 2-0 away by one of the teams challenging for champions league places, you would half expect it, just the way we have no ambition and all we seem to do away is just focus on not conceding, houghton is always setting the team up and tactics for the 0-0 even when we''re losing.

I was at the game today and we were shit. I don''t care how much spuds have spent they weren''t anything special. Our tactics today were so negative and the whole midfield was crap.

Snodgrass was so bad it was untrue Johnson was awful and as for Fer every time he got the ball he looked backwards and then lost it.

No bite in midfield no tackles being put in. Watch the second goal a half arsed attempt of a tackle by Fer and a shite piece of goal keeping.

Then at 2-0 we take off our best player outside of defence in elmander and bring on tettey.

Shit commitment. Shit tactics from the outset then bringing on a defensive midfielder for a striker when losing 2-0.

The club should refund the tickets for this utter garbage of a performance.

I try and err on the positive side of things but I have to agree with Paul. We made the game far too easy for Spurs. They are a good team but didn''t need to get out of third gear.

Reading a few comments above and others on all other threads today, some fans should just give up supporting - posting as thought beaten at home vs Palace. Stupid posts saying Hooper & van Wolfs worst moves/buys - beggers belief what some see.

We should have been hammered but didn''t. Our midfield was poor and couldn''t get a handle but we weren''t slaughtered against a very good side.

Shrugs shoulders at some of our fans with big chips on their shoulders

I did not see the match until today and knowing the result perhaps I watched less expectantly. We were outclassed in every position and every battle on the pitch. While we have spent big by Norwich standards so have Spurs and many others and it showed what you can do with money well spent. We were not slaughtered but contained a good well organized to only two goals.

Our midfield was all but eliminated. We looked vulnenerable on our left side particularly. Shoddy tried to be a one man team too often as he often does.

Not a disaster just a clear indication we have a long way to go as a team to be top 10.

The OP completely misses the point. It is not the fact that we lost 2-0 to a good Spurs side that is the matter for debate here.

It was always likely that we were going to get nothing from the game. It was interesting reading the pre match threads on Fri pm and yesterday morning. Normally there''s a certain percentage of posters who are the eternal optimists, and predict getting a result, however unlikely. But prior to this game I do not remember one post that suggested that.

Why this sudden attack of realism ? I think it has more to do with the total lack of confidence in the CH away mantra . It wasn''t really the belief that we were going to be beaten by a better side, but that of knowing that we, yet again were simply not going to turn up, or even attempt to turn up.

To me, THAT is what most of the threads to which the OP takes exception are discussing.

It is not the result that i was disappointed with it was the manner of our performance not just on Saturday but every game since CH took charge. Too often under Hughton we don''t just get beat we get dominated. Too often when we win its by the scruff of our teeth. When we lose we lose horrifically when we win its never convincing. Did you know we have never won a league game by more than a single goal under Hughton? He is tactically inept, clueless when it come to subs and has abysmal squad management. too many players have left saying they felt isolated and were unhappy with how we had treated them as a club. Butterfield prime example. Becchio is another i bet he regrets the day he signed for us.

also Tottenham have in theory only a net spend of 20 million as they received 85 for bale. In proportionate terms of turn over to transfer spend we have spent a lot more % wise than Tottenham have. For what its also worth money will buy you better players but it doesn''t always make the better team.

[quote user="Hannibal II"]It is not the result that i was disappointed with it was the manner of our performance not just on Saturday but every game since CH took charge. Too often under Hughton we don''t just get beat we get dominated. Too often when we win its by the scruff of our teeth. When we lose we lose horrifically when we win its never convincing. Did you know we have never won a league game by more than a single goal under Hughton? He is tactically inept, clueless when it come to subs and has abysmal squad management. too many players have left saying they felt isolated and were unhappy with how we had treated them as a club. Butterfield prime example. Becchio is another i bet he regrets the day he signed for us.

also Tottenham have in theory only a net spend of 20 million as they received 85 for bale. In proportionate terms of turn over to transfer spend we have spent a lot more % wise than Tottenham have. For what its also worth money will buy you better players but it doesn''t always make the better team.[/quote]

Apart from WBA at home, but then the opposition was totally spineless that day.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Hannibal II"]It is not the result that i was disappointed with it was the manner of our performance not just on Saturday but every game since CH took charge. Too often under Hughton we don''t just get beat we get dominated. Too often when we win its by the scruff of our teeth. When we lose we lose horrifically when we win its never convincing. Did you know we have never won a league game by more than a single goal under Hughton? He is tactically inept, clueless when it come to subs and has abysmal squad management. too many players have left saying they felt isolated and were unhappy with how we had treated them as a club. Butterfield prime example. Becchio is another i bet he regrets the day he signed for us.

also Tottenham have in theory only a net spend of 20 million as they received 85 for bale. In proportionate terms of turn over to transfer spend we have spent a lot more % wise than Tottenham have. For what its also worth money will buy you better players but it doesn''t always make the better team.[/quote]

[/quote]On the beach apparently. They already had their bags packed according to some.

sorry i stand corrected. other than this one....hides head in shame.....

pretty sure half of them were on the plane to Marbella though during the game

I was at the game yesterday and it was a ***** miserable experience.

CH is getting a lot of stick here, and at WHL after the game, he has to expect that with the sort of performance the team gave.

I am frustrated by his apparent inability to see plan B and make changes during the game that actually make any difference. It had to be worth throwing Hooper on and giving the guy a go, there was really nothing to lose.

However, the team he put out was unchanged from the side that played pretty well against Southampton, you would expect a different style of play away from home against a side like Spurs, but it was the same players and while there is a lot of criticism of the manager, I think it''s the players who should also be having a good hard look at their individual performances, from the keeper, all the way thought to RVW. With one or two notable exceptions, Bassong for example,I think they must all take the blame for the way we played!

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]On the beach apparently. They already had their bags packed according to some.[/quote]

I''m not clear from that, ricardo. Are you agreeing or disagreeing that the WBA performance that day was spineless in the extreme? The most uninterested I have ever seen from an away team in the top flight at Carrow Road. Actually probably from any team in any division. The WBA reporter for the Birmingham Mail, who would normally feel the need to say nice things, was almost incoherent with rage in his report. He was giving players three out of ten, and his WBA "man of the match" - a reluctant award - got a six.

To the OP. our league away record in 2013.

Played 11 won 1 drwn 2 lost 8 goals for 5 against 22

Take out the Man City game (enjoyable but they were not exactly bothered ) and we''ve scored 2 goals. More worrying still you can properly count the total number of shots on 2 hands. For those of us who travel away and are caused of over reacting to a defeat by Spurs, it is not just those 90 minutes but a cumulative horror show that gets worse & worse.