Sign in to follow this  
NCFC for life 1993-

Poor substitutions from a tactically inept manager!

Why bring on tettey and howson when we need goals! What is Hughton playing at. The players don''t look like they know what to do when the ball is up at the right end of the pitch. Prime example being RVW taking too long. Not his fault, he must have just been so shocked that he found himself that far up the pitch.

Another poor away game with no effective plan B. This isn''t the first time. My Newcastle utd season ticket holder friend says Hughton despite being unfairly sacked never had a plan B.

Rant over.

Shocking subs, has edged me into the Hughton out frame of mind with those.

Sack him now and lets move on. I didnt expect to win but at the same time I didnt expect us to lose, This is solely down to bad tactical management, its about time he went know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was absolutely no intention to win that game at all. I think he''s happy losing 2-0 or he would have done something to change things a lot sooner. Even then he took off the best attack threat we had. And why no Hooper?

Eggy - "I didnt expect to win but at the same time I didnt expect us to lose"

I think that just about every neutral expected us to lose. It suggests that some of our fans have an unrealistic level of expectation. The passing was the most disappointing aspect.

[quote user="NCFC for life 1993-"]Why bring on tettey and howson when we need goals! What is Hughton playing at. The players don''t look like they know what to do when the ball is up at the right end of the pitch. Prime example being RVW taking too long. Not his fault, he must have just been so shocked that he found himself that far up the pitch.

Another poor away game with no effective plan B. This isn''t the first time. My Newcastle utd season ticket holder friend says Hughton despite being unfairly sacked never had a plan B.

Rant over.[/quote]the service to the strikers wasn''t there....by brining on another striker the service still wouldn''t have been there... so would the problem have been solved?

[quote user="EGGY a Gibraltar Canary"]Sack him now and lets move on. I didnt expect to win but at the same time I didnt expect us to lose, This is solely down to bad tactical management, its about time he went know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]I don''t think a defeat was unexpected but it was the manner of defeat that was so depressing. It wouldn''t be so bad if we made a go of it and lost but we''re just so negative in every away game.I used to like going to away games but I''m not happy paying out a small fortune to watch dross like that.

-- by bringing on another striker the service still wouldn''t have been there... so would the problem have been solved?

Maybe, who knows, Hooper is a burly player, and could have put himself about a bit more than Elmander and RvW managed. The timing of the subs, 74 minutes, was far too late in a game where we desperately needed something to change.

I was disappointed to see Redmond go off as he had been our most effective attacker. Snodgrass had a very poor game and lasted the full 90 minutes.

For me, the position that lost us todays game was Elmander. He won little in the air, and gave the ball away time and time again. He did not link the midfield to the attack as the player in that position should. Square pegs in round holes?

I''m afraid I''m going to have to agree with this one.

15mins to go (ish), you''re 2-0 down and want to get back in the game. Do you a) bring on a defensive midfielder to try and keep the score line down or b) bring on a striker that you''ve paid £5 mil for and try and get back in the game? Do you a) take off a winger who is clearly out of form or b) take off your fastest winger who is full of confidence on the back of a debut goal?

What would you all do ?

The substitutions really are a strange one aren''t they.Personally I would have given Hooper a run out for the last 20minutesThere must be a reason as to why he wasn''t used.At least the substitutions are being made earlier though !

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]At least the substitutions are being made earlier though ![/quote]Earlier maybe but still not soon enough.Spurs went 2 up after 50 minutes - first sub (Howson) after 64 minutes. Second subs (Tettey & Pilkington) after 74 minutes - that''s 24 minutes after the 2nd goal (or to put it another way, a quarter of the game).So why wait for 14 minutes for the first sub?What did he hope to see in those 14 minutes that he hadn''t seen in the previous 64 minutes.And why not 2, or even 3, subs after their 2nd goal rather than waiting another 10 minutes before making another change.

The subs were clueless. He brings on Howson for Johnson which was pretty much a straight swap that changed nothing cause he wasnt told to get forward, then he decides to push Fer into the Elmander role, and thinks, hang on i dont have a defensive midfielder now so he has to bring Tettey on!

Why not just bring on Howson for Elmander to begin with instead of changing the midfield two 3 times in the last 20 mins. As for taking off Redmond and no Hooper, well that caps it off.