Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

olsson vs garrido

From what I''ve seen of Olsson he looks better than Garrido so should be playing at LB!

Olssons quicker, able to attack more and is a better header of the ball!

Garridos steady and has OK but I also think hes rather over rated by many caue hes Spanish!

Garrido is awful, slow, always gets beat by his man, lets too many crosses come in, poor positioning. Too much play from the opposition right. And against agbonlahor last season garrido got ripped to shreads. Its only a matter of time before olsson comes in and stays in.

Redmond has been at fault IMO for a couple of goals conceded (Coleman''s goal against Everton, and Sigurdssons second against Spurs) due to having left his man in acres of space whilst defending. He''s a great asset going forward, but he he needs to learn to have a more all-round game. Whilst he does, maybe a left flank of Olsson and Garrido would be more defensively sound. Neither Olsson or Garrido are incapable of offering an attacking threat. I would say theyre probably better attackers than Redmond is a defender. Maybe in terms of providing an all round game, these two should be considered in tandem

Great!

Sacrifice just about our only attacking outlet for a more defensive set up?

Why not go the whole hog and drop RvW for 6 in Midfield?

Something like:

Snodgrass Johnson Fer Tettey Howson Ollsson

Looks pretty solid to me?

We might just sneek a 0-0 draw? You never know!

Snake

No Mrs Miggins I was being facetious!

I understand the point being made, however the issue we have is not defensive frailties but lack of attacking intent.  The best way to defend is to deny as much ball as possible to the opposition and keep the ball as far from your own goal as possible.

One way of doing this is to attack the opposition goal as much as possible.  Whilst the opposition is defending they cannot be attacking. Is that not logical or am I being really thick here?

My point is that we have such limited attacking threats that why would you remove a player who can terrorise a defense when you are barely creating anything anyway!  Surely the better option is to bring in the better player to allow your attacking threat to be more so!  Therefore Ollsson in for Garrido, thus causing a double threat.

I must admit you posted some response to something I posted then failed to explain it when I questioned what you were getting at!

I definately misunderstood that!

Not that I have seen enough of Olsson to really make a judgement, but I do agree with giving him a chance on what little I have seen and remember from his time at Blackburn. Why? Well I usually have no problem with Garrido, but I actually dont think he is on top of his game so far this season and at home against Villa I think it would be a good opprortunity to play him.

We have seen again and again that pace leaves Garrido in all sorts of difficulties, and many premiership teams have pace on the right, either wingers, wing-backs or right backs.

I was anxious about Saturday''s game well before kick-off. The only question is whether Olsson is a good tackler. He certainly has the pace to challenge wingers and to recover situations. They are both good going forward. I suspect that CH has doubts over some aspects of Olsson''s game, otherwise he would have started him by now. ( I know that he was injured at the start, but is presumably recovered by now.). Garrido has hardly covered himself in glory up to now.

There is a problem in having protection from an inexperienced Redmond on the left side. Johnson should be within touch, but he also lacks pace. If CH lacks faith in Olsson, and is becoming persuaded that Garrido can''t  be relied on, he may have to change his formation. Perhaps if Redmond switched to the right, there would be place for Olsson to become a left side midfielder of three - Olsson, Johnson, Fer. At the moment we seem set up with a kind of 4-2-4, with the wingers expected to double up by tracking back. What I am suggesting is a 4-3-3, with the forwards Wolfie,a.n.o and Redmond.

I think that we did well not to concede no more than two against Spurs, given how many chances they created and didn''t convert. Other opponents will probably not be as generous to us.