Sign in to follow this  
Norfolk Stats Man

Can Houghton find the key to happiness ?

Finding the magic key to running a happy and succesful football club is the difficult task taken on by all football managers up and down the country.When Paul Lambert arrived at Carrow Road in 2009, he hit the ground running, and the Board, the Fans, and most importantly, the players ALL bought into what he was trying to do, and how he wanted to go about achieving it, they seemed as though they loved playing for him, and were perfectly happy with how he and Ian Culverhouse set up the team each week. He didn''t always get it right, but mistakes were quickly forgiven, and he steered a happy ship, for three fantastically exciting and succesful years, and I am not ashamed to say, I enjoyed every minute of it.Yes I know he''s gone, but how much of that happy ship has Chris Houghton got left ? We have no way of knowing how much support he has got from the Boardroom, from the fans probably around 40% at best, going on the discussions I have with other Norwich fans each week, and most importantly of all - how many of the players are happy to play for him, and unlike under Lambert, have bought into his way of doing things ?We always focus on the Lambert v Houghton style, but really how much of that argument comes down to the Culverhouse v Calderwood way of going about things ?Sometimes the players seem to have a big say in what happens to managers, go back to October 1st 2006, when the Norwich team didn''t appear to turn up for the home fixture with Burnley which we went on to lose 1-4, and by the end of the afternoon Nigel Worthington had gone, if Houghton cant find the key could the same happen again ?

Great post sensible and well put together thoughts. No doubt some idiot on here will have a go for the mis spelling of the manager. I don''t care though I for one feel that many of the fans here on this forum including me will feel some sense of justification at Ruddys comments. Sounds like its not just a few negative fans apparently running this board but the players are coming out and saying things also.

........40% at best, going on the discussions I have with other Norwich fans each week ..........

You see nothing but Labour posters round our way every election. The Tories always win.

Unhappy people make a noise. Happy ones don''t.

[quote user="ron obvious"]........40% at best, going on the discussions I have with other Norwich fans each week ..........

You see nothing but Labour posters round our way every election. The Tories always win.

Unhappy people make a noise. Happy ones don''t.[/quote][quote user="NCFC for life 1993-"]No doubt some idiot on here will have a go for the

mis spelling of the manager. [/quote]

Well said Ron. I''m happy but I''m going to make a noise anyway -  I''m going to be the idiot who says I think its beyond a joke now.  Its happening all the time now.  It may

seem funny or clever to misspell Chris Hughton''s name and I know people

are doing it on purpose as a mark of disrespect and/or  are doing it to wind people like me up,  but I find it totally

baffling.    It seems as if some of our supporters can''t show respect,

or don''t want to, to a manager who is trying to put together a side

capable of competing at the very top level, finishing 11th last season

and some great results along the way.  It seems there are some out there who are of the spoiled, disrespectful, lacking patience, "I want it

now" variety.   I am seriously wondering if this kind of

support is becoming rife.     Too much "I want, I want, I want"

and if I "don''t get"  I''m going to show how I can throw my toys out of

the pram. 

I don''t care if you think I''m an idiot.  Purposely spelling the manager''s name wrong is puerile, unpleasant and disrespectful.   There are two ways you can call someone by a nickname.   Affectionately as in "Hoots" or something similar, or there is the snide way - effectively disrespecting  someone who can''t answer back.  Very clever.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]"Hoots" is hardly appropriate, rhyming as it does with "shoots".[/quote]

Ahh but Houghts rhymes with sprouts and they''re green too....