Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Hughton & ROI Job - Deja Vu - Lambert & Villa job

After reading the article on the Pink''un home page - http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich_city_boss_chris_hughton_reveals_there_has_been_no_official_approach_over_vacant_republic_of_ireland_post_1_2420343 - I couldn''t help but draw comparisons with how Lambert spoke about the speculation surrounding the Villa job.

Never once ruling himself out, saying how happy he is here etc etc.

From the article

- Hughton - "The things I can say is I am manager of Norwich City football club and I am extremely happy here"  - But he can''t say that he is not interested?[:^)]

- Hughton - "As a fellow manager, I was sorry to see him go. When a job like that becomes available there will be some very experienced, knowledgeable names mentioned. I don’t know which direction they want to go and what type of manager but there certainly won’t be a shortage of candidates. It is a very good job.”" - No where in the article does he categorically rule himself out and it is also clear from the article that he thinks it''s a very good job, which he actually even goes on to state explicitly.

Although relatively new to management, lets not forget that Hughton is 55 in December.  I think Hughton would love to manage his country and this may be the only opportunity he gets.

To be totally honest, am I worried if he goes to become the ROI manager? Not particularly. We thankfully still have David McNally, who I''d be more worried about losing.

So who would he go for next if Hughton did go? Well he''s never been one for open interviews, so I''d say Malky would be a good bet. I certainly wouldn''t be upset about that.

I don''t think he will leave. He''s spent a lot moulding his own team plus when he moved here I saw a tweet (I think it was from James Nursey?) and he said that Hughton would not have left Birmingham had it not been for all their troubles because he isn''t someone who just leaves.

"Although relatively new to management, lets not forget that Hughton is 55 in December. I think Hughton would love to manage his country and this may be the only opportunity he gets."

Norfolk, tell me, do you really think that a Premier League manager, probably the best League in the world, with all the extra resources that have been made available this season, is going to leave to manage ROI, or are you trying to make a bit of mischief?

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]This Forum

Full of people wanting Hughton out

now...

People worried he''s gonna leave us

People do enjoy a bit of worrying don''t they

[/quote]

Who''s worrying RC?[:^)]

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]"Although relatively new to management, lets not forget that Hughton is 55 in December. I think Hughton would love to manage his country and this may be the only opportunity he gets." Norfolk, tell me, do you really think that a Premier League manager, probably the best League in the world, with all the extra resources that have been made available this season, is going to leave to manage ROI, or are you trying to make a bit of mischief?[/quote]

One probably (on the face of it) would not automatically think that Hughton, or any Premier League manager, would leave their job to manage the ROI. 

Now, please explain how I am "trying to make a bit of mischief"?  Bearing in mind that I did not write the article on the Pink''un home page and also the fact that, Hughton, despite having the opportunity to do so, did not rule himself out of the job?[:^)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="morty"]This place do make me larf[:D][/quote]

Well they do say that some people are easily pleased, don''t they!?[;)]

[/quote]By "laugh" I actually meant "cringe"[;)]

“There has been no official approach. We are a club I would like to think are going in the right direction over the next few years and I am very much looking forward to helping continue that development,” said Hughton. “I can understand why I have been mentioned. I know my name has been mentioned, along with others, and given the fact that I played for Ireland its understandable. It is absolutely just speculation. The things I can say is I am manager of Norwich City football club and I am extremely happy here. We have invested more this summer than the club has ever done. I have had wonderful support from the board and we have a passionate, fanatical support base who want this team to do well. I have the same challenges as the fans and the players so I can only reiterate that I am incredibly happy "

Doesn''t sound like a man looking to jump ship Norfolk, your statement that Hughton would love to manage his country and that this may be is only chance to do so sounds like mischief making to me!

The biggest thing for me is a little word called integrity. I am grateful for everything Lambert has done for this club but we all knew that he was going to do to us what he did at every job he''d had before... Quit! He quit Livingstone, Wycombe, Colchester, and then us. It was never a case of "if" with Lambert, it was a case of "when".

Chris Hughton however was sacked as assistant manager at Spurs when they got rid of Jol, dumped on from a great height at Newcastle, and then felt he had to leave at Birmingham due to the dire situation they were in as a club despite having had a brilliant season really.

These are two very different characters both of which I admire very much, but whilst one will happily move at every opportunity to better himself, I feel the other acts with a touch more integrity and really wants the opportunity to settle and succeed. If Hughton is continued to be backed (by the fans as well as the board) then I can see him here for a very long time and if successful, he''ll get another shot at the Ireland job. 

Not really deja vu because:

1. Hughton hasn;t lined himself up the job before the previous manager has even left.

2. I am not sure Hughton would take the ireland job even if offered it; and

3. i am not sure that many of us would be gutted if he did take the Ireland job. Personally I would be rather indifferent and thats not because i don;t like Chris Hughton or think he''s a decent enough manager but its because i don;t think he;s an outstanding manager and in our current position and with the squad we have i think we could probably even get someone in who gets us playing better attacking football.

Not really worried on this one as I think most managers would prefer to be managing City at the moment to the ROI, but time will tell.

I guess there are two ways you can look at it.  One is that he hasn''t ruled himself out so perhaps it is a possibility.

The other is that Hughton will get asked this question whenever there''s a managerial vacancy where he is a possible candidate.  If he says this time "I''m ruling myself out" then in future every time he''s asked the question, if he fails to rule himself out, people will assume he is going for it.  So better to say the same every time, playing a straight bat, that he''s happy where he is and there''s been no approach etc.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Not really deja vu because: 1. Hughton hasn;t lined himself up the job before the previous manager has even left. 2. I am not sure Hughton would take the ireland job even if offered it; and 3. i am not sure that many of us would be gutted if he did take the Ireland job. Personally I would be rather indifferent and thats not because i don;t like Chris Hughton or think he''s a decent enough manager but its because i don;t think he;s an outstanding manager and in our current position and with the squad we have i think we could probably even get someone in who gets us playing better attacking football.[/quote]

Huzzah![Y]

I''m a Hughton In kind of guy.When Lambert left I was truly gutted, if Hughton did go I would be extremely disappointed and fear for our league safety.... however I wouldn''t be as upset as I was when Lambert left.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]“There has been no official approach. We are a club I would like to think are going in the right direction over the next few years and I am very much looking forward to helping continue that development,” said Hughton. “I can understand why I have been mentioned. I know my name has been mentioned, along with others, and given the fact that I played for Ireland its understandable. It is absolutely just speculation. The things I can say is I am manager of Norwich City football club and I am extremely happy here. We have invested more this summer than the club has ever done. I have had wonderful support from the board and we have a passionate, fanatical support base who want this team to do well. I have the same challenges as the fans and the players so I can only reiterate that I am incredibly happy " Doesn''t sound like a man looking to jump ship Norfolk, your statement that Hughton would love to manage his country and that this may be is only chance to do so sounds like mischief making to me![/quote]

Following on from that, Unlike Lambert, I think Hughton has a lot more to offer the club, hence  the £24mil we spent in the summer and with the board''s pledge to step up in January Never before in my life time have Norwich backed any manager in this way, Hughton  has said himself as much. It will be a step back to manage the ROI team and not a long term job, but you may say nor is managing a club, But he has the chance to make it a life time job here, And I for one would be happy to see him stay long term. If he is doing the job right and we are safe in this league.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Not really deja vu because: 1. Hughton hasn;t lined himself up the job before the previous manager has even left. 2. I am not sure Hughton would take the ireland job even if offered it; and 3. i am not sure that many of us would be gutted if he did take the Ireland job. Personally I would be rather indifferent and thats not because i don;t like Chris Hughton or think he''s a decent enough manager but its because i don;t think he;s an outstanding manager and in our current position and with the squad we have i think we could probably even get someone in who gets us playing better attacking football.[/quote]

Huzzah![Y]

[/quote]

Yawn.