Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Would you take him back?

If Aston Villa sacked Lambert and Hughton''s position became available (for instance if he took the ROI job or for any reason) would you take him back?

If all could be forgiven - would you welcome Paul Lambert back to the club?

I''ve seen some far flung, hypothetical questions on this forum in my time, but that , in the words of Chris Goreham, takes the biscuit.

The chances of AV sacking Lambert AND RoI appointing Hughton are virtually non existant.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I''ve seen some far flung, hypothetical questions on this forum in my time, but that , in the words of Chris Goreham, takes the biscuit.

The chances of AV sacking Lambert AND RoI appointing Hughton are virtually non existant.[/quote]

Yes, thats why it is a hypothetical question and not a suggested plan of action. Inventing a time machine and going back to assassinate Hitler is completely absurd too, but people still discuss it and why it is termed hypothetical. Im just interested in peoples feelings, not suggesting a course of action :)

Some people need to move on.It''s kinda funny though. If you pop over to the Aston Villa forum, there are plenty of voices out there questioning Lambert''s ability to manage VillaHis ability to defend and his lack of substitutions

I can''t really think of a single manager in the league right now who is loved by the majority of their fan base.The only two who probably come closest are Malky at Cardiff and Rodgers at Liverpool.Who''d be a manager huh !

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]OK then.

No.

Managers going back to the same club rarely ends in anything other than tears. That''s why I don''t thing Chelsea will win anything of note this season.[/quote]

I definitely agree with this. They dont say ''never go back for no reason''. Mike Walker proved he wasnt the messiah when he came back.

I really like the players Hughton has brought in, and I think he is a better judge of ability than Lambert any day. I just dont think Hughton has the same level of motivational skills and tactical boldness. I wonder what Lambert might be able to do with Hughtons team... Probably very little as he would want his own players. Players just dont seem to be playing for Hughton in the way they did for Lambert. Ibrahimovic''s comments on his feelings over Mourinho and Gaurdiola speak volumes on how players need the right approach behind them. Mourinho got him going, Guardiola didnt. Doesnt mean Guardiola was a bad manager, just that particular player didnt respond to his approach. I think we need someone to help fire the players up in the way Lambert did. Perhaps Hughton needs a better assistant manager...?

It''s a fair point, Reading, but, I''d guess the monthly pay cheque would ease the pain somewhat......

In the fickle world that is football, I''d say that the managers who are loved are mainly the ones who produce winning sides, or, at the very least, go all out to produce winning sides.

That, in a nutshell is where CH is going wrong.

Going back rarely works out and Lambert left cause he felt he''d gone as far as he could with us, something he''ll probably do with Villa!

Anyway I still maintain we''d of been worse of had he stayed anyway!

I laughed at the game yesterday when a fan started singing "I ucking miss Grant Holt" - like he''d of made the difference yesterday!

Times move on, managers and players move on, Lambert and Holt will always be remembered for a glorious spell in the clubs history but both didn''t want to be here anymore and its gone now!

[quote user="Highland Canary"]That didn''t work well with Walker from what I remember.[/quote]It never works, you can''t recapture the past, it''s dead and gone.The best thing about football is the next match.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]If Aston Villa sacked Lambert and you welcome Paul Lambert back to the club?[/quote]

In a heartbeat........yes.[Y]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="ricardo"]you can''t recapture the past, it''s dead and gone.[/quote]Try telling the binners that Ricardo. [;)][/quote]I think they secretly know that Lapp.They have had a particularly lean time this last twenty years. Long may it continue.Looking at the all time Premier League standings on Statto Index I see we are 25th. The Binners are now 32nd.If you count the old first division in the equation they are still 3 places ahead of us due to their purple patch of 40 years back but within another 3 or 4 seasons we will be in front.[:)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Would Bowkett and McNally have him back.......

[/quote]You were at the AGM so you know the answer to that Nigel[:D]

Am i the only one in thinking he has had a major chunk of luck up there at Villa?Imagine if Mr Benteke''s transfer had not gone through on the last day of last season transfer window or if Spurs or Arsenal ha the balls to bid for him in this window.....Take Benteke out of that team and it doesn''t make good viewing.26 Games now in the premier league without a clean sheet. Even that tells a story. You add cup competitions to that and its pathetic...

---- cityislife: Am i the only one in thinking he has had a major chunk of luck up there at Villa? Imagine if Mr Benteke''s transfer had not gone through on the last day of last season transfer window or if Spurs or Arsenal ha the balls to bid for him in this window.....

Imagine us without Bassong... managers live or die on their signings and Lambert made a decent one.

Part of Benteke''s success will be Lambert''s tactics. Even Morison scored a bunch for us under him and he is a pretty ordinary championship player.

Would I want Lambert back... No, that era is over.