Sign in to follow this  
unique

Total Annihilation at the Lane....

As said, we didn''t compete in the midfield - lose 2-0 but at least have a go and that''s acceptable, but today was dire and the only positive for me was considering the wave after wave of attack, we managed to keep it down to 2. Bassong was immense, Turner put in a shift and Whittaker showed some class - Redmond helped Garido out a bit, and in the scheme of things can''t fault the defence too much.....BUT the midfield was over-run. Why is Snodgrass now falling over every time he gets the ball - what is going on wih Johnson, I swear his beard has taken half a yard of his pace. Fer was out of his depth - Redmond worked hard and did open them up when RVW should have put it away, Spurs only weakness was at the back and we didn''t take advantage. RVW has got to bulk up a bit as he was getting knocked all over the place. Hopefully a bad day at the office, Spurs have a good attacking side, but we made them look a whole lot better.

Why take off Redmond when 2-0 down - move him to the right with Pilks on left (Pilks did liven it up a bit when he came on), and Howson should have been on long before he was....

I like CH, but we need some direction in midfield and up front - our players actually looked like they didn''t know where they were meant to be operating or what they should be doing.

As I said, hopefully just a bad day at the office, but we need to have learned from this - I thought Hull was a one-off, today made it a two-off, let''s not have any thirds.....

No problem boys. I just felt this guy on your forum "frying pan eyes" was spouting so much shit that i had to sign up and give my view. Any sane person could see that Spurs were simply brilliant and should of won by a lot more and no one can take away that performance from us but like i say we would of beaten any team with the way we played so don''t panic to much. You have some good players but just come against a truely fantastic Spurs performance today.

[quote user="Don_tottenham"]No problem boys. I just felt this guy on your forum "frying pan eyes" was spouting so much shit that i had to sign up and give my view. Any sane person could see that Spurs were simply brilliant and should of won by a lot more and no one can take away that performance from us but like i say we would of beaten any team with the way we played so don''t panic to much. You have some good players but just come against a truely fantastic Spurs performance today.[/quote]
You were very good. But we did sit off you all game, a mistake in my eyes as it let your quality midfield run the show more than ever! 
But you did only score 2 goals. I reckon a Man Utd, Chelsea or similar could have got a couple of goals against you today potentially. Still think you''re probably good for a champions league spot but i''d be surprised if you challenged the top two.

Yeh i think it will be difficult for us to challenge the title and i don''t think many Spurs fans feel we will just yet but if there is any time to challenge the title then it''s now. I don''t think United look all that convincing under Moyes, City have made a very unimpressive start under Pelligrini and Chelsea are boring under Mourinho. I personally think 3rd at best for us but most probably 4th if were lucky but certainly very exciting times ahead at the lane. Selling Bale could be the best thing we have done. Yes you sat back a bit today but don''t you think it was more to the fact that you just couldn''t get the ball off us? we played with such fluidity and pace today that even the best sides would of found it hard against us.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="unique"]Nevermind the scoreline....ignore the possession stats...that was one-way traffic.

So much for Spurs ''bedding in'' their new recruits...Lloris won''t get an easier game for the rest of the season.

If we don''t quicklylearn to keep the ball with more precision/determination/guile, or anything else you''d like to call it, then this season will be a damn sight more difficult than the last two.[/quote]

Spurs were amazing today especially in that first half. I doubt any side in the division could have lived with them today. Unfortunately, people don''t recognise the class they had on display but look instead for faults and mistakes they can pin on our players. If it was a boxing match, the ref would have stopped it before half time. We are highly unlikely to face such an onslaught again this season.

Somehow we managed to keep the score to 2-0 so it could have been much worse. We move on.

[/quote]

Who was Tottenhams main threat today? Eriksen? He has come out and said how much space he had to work in. So why didn''t hughton react to that during the game? It was clear from very early on that they had plenty of space with their midfield 3 up against our 2, so why didnt we pull off elmander and stick an extra body in midfield to try and stop them? Would''ve helped us retain the ball too..

Hughton sat and watched and did nothing until the 75th minute. Not good enough. It''s not about the result, it''s that once again and we say it every single away game, the tactics have hindered us.

We could''ve set up perfectly and lost, but we could have given ourselves a chance. Today we gave ourselves no chance.

[quote user="Don_tottenham"]don''t you think it was more to the fact that you just couldn''t get the ball off us? we played with such fluidity and pace today that even the best sides would of found it hard against us.[/quote]

And that''s how a few of us see it.......The rest of them would rather wail ''n whine ''n whinge ''n whimper. [:S]

Sorry Lappin,but in amongst the OTT whinging there are some valid points.Spurs were good today,but we made them look invincible.I didn''t think we could HAVE beat Spurs today,but i was expecting us to give them a game.We did hand the game to them on a plate and looked extremely average.It was like watching some of the shite we had to put up with in the late 90''s.Not good enough and hopefully it''s a wake up call for Hoots.

I think any team in the top 6 will find it a stroll against a team that concedes possession and doesn''t try to stop them until well into their own half. It doesn''t say anything about how good Spurs are because they didn''t get a real test today. So Spurs fans shouldn''t be getting excited about this.

As a City fan who goes to most away games I''ve seen some poor ones over the last 12 months but this was down there with the worst in that we just didn''t compete and never looked like we''d get anything. So I think we need to change our approach - not saying we need to be more attacking alone cos that won''t be enough - whats more important is that we certainly need to work a lot harder at denying the other side time and space much higher up the field.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Don_tottenham"]don''t you think it was more to the fact that you just couldn''t get the ball off us? we played with such fluidity and pace today that even the best sides would of found it hard against us.[/quote]

And that''s how a few of us see it.......The rest of them would rather wail ''n whine ''n whinge ''n whimper. [:S][/quote]

And Spurs fans obviously think this was due to the brilliance of their team because they do not watch us away from home every week and thus do not realise that it was at least in part (and a big part in my view) because we allowed them so much possession , time and space it was untrue.

Maybe Chris was too wrapped up watching his favourite team in action to think about his job?

No doubt the Spurs fans sung his name again, telling him he will always be Spurs, and as before he probably clapped them back passionately.

He doubtless got a warm reception behind the scenes too.

Apart from some I don''t see that he and Calderwood have ever been broadly accepted by the fans here. He should be, but I''ve never seen it. His name isn''t sung consistently and he has an air of detachment about him. Despite his success he shows no sign of being a ''fit'' here.

In fairness it seldom happens; the likes of Bond, Brown, Stringer, Walker and Lambert but as with players the individual and Club/fans need that synergy. CH is a nice guy, articulate and a gent, he is competent but his heart isn''t here.

Still, he has time. But so far this season he shows no sign of change.

Holt gone, Martin and Hoolahan benched, that''s a lot of character missing and a lot of outfield players with few games for Norwich City.

Where is the heart?

Like countless others, I had a real rant after the Hull no-show, and really laid in to the management/team. Clearly it''s less fair to have as vociferous a rant when we''ve lost 0-2 to Spurs than, it was against Hull . So I take it onboard that Spurs were a different class, and even the top sides would have found it difficult.

That said, the thing that I cannot get my head around was how difficult we made it for ourselves. I lost count of the number of times we needlessly gave the ball away. Admittedly against high quality operators like Dembele and Eriksen, you are , from time to time ,going to be pressurised into a misplaced pass, but there were far too many times that we just played a sloppy ball when under no pressure at all. Snoddy and Fer were particular offenders, but everyone was to blame at some point. The only way to stop sides like Spurs is to starve them of posession, and gifting them the ball is not really the best way to achieve that.

I''m prepared to concede (hope ?) that this was just an afternoon that too many had a bad day at the office, and, as others have said, if we can get a win v Villa then 3 pts from those two games will not be a bad outcome.

[quote user="hogesar"]Again, no issue with losing 2-0.
It''s the nature of the defeat.
1 shot on target.
I''ll stick my neck out and say both Palace and Cardiff will have more than that against Spurs at WHL.
We''ve got a top quality striker up front. Why not try and make use of that, even just a little bit?
Again, i don''t mind losing 2-0 to spurs. I don''t mind losing 4-0. What i do mind, however, is watching a game where we never looked like being in it, and having a manager who doesn''t seem to see that - because if he did - he''d have made a change and mixed things up a bit much sooner than he did.
[/quote]

Couldn''t have said it better

HAHAHA dear Don get real result was never in doubt yesterday but please don''t delude yourself that this makes you a top 4 side.

2 decent goals fair enough, but Norwich didn''t turn up and Spurs never had to get out of first gear (and never did) so it really isn''t possible to judge anything.

If the players you signed gel then you may have a decent team but judge that after you played more games with two teams playing (like Arsenal) not this excuse for a game and many more games like this and "Chrssy" will have plenty of time on his hands to get a seat at WHL.

Hughton only pays lip service to the City fans, he never engages with them on any level.

He means sod all to me now either.[:''(]

Spurs proved why they are so good and the quality in each player, I don''t think any of our players would walk into their first 11 let alone first team squad. Perhaps ruddy and then rvw on the bench. That is the class of the team, but we never made them uncomfortable, not one player on their team was tested by our player.

I always said it was the support that was needed but we could do nothing with the ball.

Happy to say it was only 2-0, the score flattered us, even if spurs had a great game.

Hughton has not built his team yet, that costs £££ it was clear those players who have a background in league 1 are not at the level of eriksen or dembele. But they have to get to grips quickly. I think there will be some changes to personnel and I hope philosophy in our next game.

Yes I think we have enough but if our players do not step up and get into the mindset that we saw for the bad half of last season it is going to be a really long wait till the January window.

We have quality it is those that are around them that need to raise it and also our manager needs to begin to see that the score line did lie yesterday and although he acknowledges we were out played he has to allow a little more pressure football.

Hooper and rvw should have been a pairing at 2-0, perfect time along with a change in the midfield. We need a good week in training this week no excuses next week but I am worried that we may see yo yo performances rather than a belief in every game.

I do think Hughton has time, but not much 10 games is a quarter of the way through and if a change is to be made it needs to be before Xmas allowing the new manager t get players in.

Do Mattel is out of work and I am sure would be a name mentioned, I also think Zola would be a man to watch and the Watford cup game is a big test as I think Zola will show what style he brings to a team.

We will see but improvements needed

It''s simple. We cannot pass for ****. We''re making too many unforced errors. Then, near the end, watching Pilks and Snodgrass argue over who takes a free kick which ended in Snodgrass telling Pilks to F off before not even clearing the first man with his kick is frustrating to hell. These are professional players. This is their job. At least clear the first man. At least string more than one pass together. It''s not just Spurs, it''s been like this in every game this season. We are clueless on the ball. Thank god we had Redmond in past games who made something happen, but even he couldn''t do anything against a very good Spurs side. Too negative! The front men don''t run the channels or work for the ball.

KeelansGlove wrote the following post at 15/09/2013 11:42 AM:

HAHAHA dear Don get real result was never in doubt yesterday but please don''t delude yourself that this makes you a top 4 side.

2 decent goals fair enough, but Norwich didn''t turn up and Spurs never had to get out of first gear (and never did) so it really isn''t possible to judge anything.

If the players you signed gel then you may have a decent team but judge that after you played more games with two teams playing (like Arsenal) not this excuse for a game and many more games like this and "Chrssy" will have plenty of time on his hands to get a seat at WHL"

Delude myself.....who burst your bloody bubble? I don''t need to delude myself about anything and us outplaying Norwich hardly warrants me thinking we are a top 4 side just because of this. We are a top 4 side because we have been battling for it the past 5 seasons and have actually made the CL. We also got top 4 when Chelsea won the champions league but obvious reasons meant we couldn''t compete in the CL the season after but don''t sit there and call me deluded just because i responded to a pretty idiotic Norwich fan who claimed "we would of beaten spurs if we would of turned up" .......that being said every single Norwich fan on here have been really decent and worth talking to. There is no doubt we will be in the mix for the top 4 again and we have the squad/1st 11 to no doubt get a top 4 place. Nothing deluded about being realistic.