Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

Rather lose 6-0 and have a go.

Compete load of bollo&. Why is the general view on here that we''d rather get heavily beaten and have a go than lose by one or two?

Unfortunately with the players at our disposal losing at spurs is pretty much inevitable. Yes we were negative today, as always when were away with hoots, but losing two nil and rarely making chances is better than than losing by 6 and creating many.

Today is very disappointing but our pride is in still intact. Our season, like last, will defined at home.

Plus the fact that if you keep the score down you can nick a point - or even three - however undeserved it may be.

If Ricky had got in front of Rose &/or been sharper for his second opportunity it could have been very interesting ....

To sit deep and try to counter attack is a very sensible tactic for an away team. Last year we didn''t have enough pace to do it, but this year we might, especially with Redmond and RVW is clearly quicker than Holt.

I would not be at all surprised if this was not the intention but our passing was so poor today that we couldn''t execute it. In any case, Spurs were so in control that there weren''t many times when they were over-exposed. Nevertheless it is a good tactic and one I expect us to try to employ this year.

I''m sorry but I just don''t get this "have a go" stuff.In what way would we have had to play to be able to find our passes better or hold the ball better against Spurs superior pressing game?We couldn''t keep the ball playing short, the front men couldn''t hold it up when we went long. All the "having a go" in the world won''t make a difference if you are unable to get hold of the ball and put some passes together.I am sorry but IMO the "having a go " theory is just code for the disappointment of being so comprehensively outplayed.

So losing to Spurs is pretty much inevitable with our team is it?

This is the biggest load of Bullsh*t I have ever heard on here!

Why bother even turning up then? I tell you what, lets not spend the money get relegated and be in the league you clearly feel we should be in!

We have a decent side with abilities that should be able to compete! Are Spurs a good side? Yes of course they are! But you know what? I am fed up of hearing that we have to show these ''Big Teams'' respect!  Some say we have no right to expect anything from these games and so we should just bend over and take it like a good Pro!  Well no we should not!  We are a Premier league side with International quality players! Why shouldn''t we go to places like WHL go at them, make their life hard, turn their home crowd on them and get something?  If we can''t expect that then we have no right to be in the Premier league!

Those of us who complain are called non supporters, yet comments like the one above and others like ''We cannot be expected to get anything against a team that has spent £xM on players!''  This is truly being negative about our team!  We complain and moan because we have seen and expect more than we are seeing at the moment. Our team is better than this, the players are better than this we know that we can perform more positively!

We believe in our team! We just question whether the way we play is the best way for our players to show what they can do and get the results we need!

Snake

To have a go reeks of a 3rd/4th tier club trying to nick a goal at a 1st tier club in a cup match - senseless. We could have been thumped 6-0 easily but we didn''t.

Posts like these make it sound like we are a top 5 club losing at home someone in the bottom 5. Open your eyes

A different line up and mentality at kickoff would help. Why does having a go mean we lose 6-0? If we had a go, maybe we''d still lose, but we''d have been entertained. Why not 4-3 back and forth footy with a sense of "maybe"? It beats going down one, having 30% possession and feeling no honest sense of "we''re still in this".

[quote user="Houston Canary"]. Why not 4-3 back and forth footy with a sense of "maybe"? It beats going down one, having 30% possession and feeling no honest sense of "we''re still in this".[/quote]because we''d still have lost!!!!!

The last time I saw City play at WHL Fox, Sutton and Ekoku ran them ragged and we won 3-1.

I don''t remember anything about negative away tactics so much in those days as we just went out there and played and often won.

Perhaps we had better players then after all.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]A different line up and mentality at kickoff would help. Why does having a go mean we lose 6-0? If we had a go, maybe we''d still lose, but we''d have been entertained. Why not 4-3 back and forth footy with a sense of "maybe"? It beats going down one, having 30% possession and feeling no honest sense of "we''re still in this".[/quote]To suggest that a different line up or mentality would have made a difference is I would suggest HC, pure speculation based on nothing more than a natural disappointment at being comprehensively outplayed by a better team. I certainly didn''t notice any lack of effort, we simply couldn''t get enough possession to put Spurs under any pressure.I think we are a fairly decent side but today too many of our players were off the boil while everyone in the Spurs side was pretty near the top of their game. Pretending to yourself that 442 or 433 would have brought a better result is just whistling in the dark.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]The last time I saw City play at WHL Fox, Sutton and Ekoku ran them ragged and we won 3-1.

I don''t remember anything about negative away tactics so much in those days as we just went out there and played and often won.

Perhaps we had better players then after all.

.[/quote]More likely is that this Spurs team is a fair bit better than that Spurs team.

I can see why people are saying stuff like we should have gone all out and if we lose 5 or 6-nil then at least we tried - it''s certainly very frustrating to have played two poor away games and not trouble the scorers having gone behind in both of them. But come the end of the season goal difference could be very important. Hopefully that scenario won''t exist and we will be safe in mid table, but realistically there''s a chance it could come down to the wire, and ''going for it'' and getting hit on the counter to concede more goals certainly won''t work in our favour.

Spurs are a quality team and while the manner of our defeat wasn''t the most inspiring performance, let''s move on from this game - there are plenty of games left and plenty of teams will go to WHL and lose by more than two goals.

jas, but we''d have at least been ente rtained. I feel bad for the roadies who have to sit thru that and then endure the trip home feeling like they''ve wasted a day.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]jas, but we''d have at least been ente rtained. I feel bad for the roadies who have to sit thru that and then endure the trip home feeling like they''ve wasted a day.[/quote]Never mind HC, I can assure you that the first 50 years are the worst. Once you''ve survived that it all becomes plain sailing.[;)]

We are not calling for Holloway Gung Ho all out attacking!

What we are saying is pressure the opposition defense higher up the pitch.  Turn them and make them play from deep in their own half! 

This helps to deny the midield so much ball in your half of the pitch.  Limiting their control and threat!  Yes we may well have still lost the game, but at least make it hard for them! You make your own luck and you do that with endeavour not by sitting back!

Snake

[quote user="Houston Canary"]rcardo, the line-up changes made a HUGE difference. Once the subs came on, we looked like we belonged in the game. Before that, we were embarrassingly bad[/quote]The game was already lost mate, Spurs could afford to back of a bit. No matter who we started with or what tactics we employed there can be no denying that we were second best in every department. Thankfully there will be much easier games coming up later. Best to put this behind us and concentrate on beating Villa next week.

Agree to disagree on subs. Them backing off made a diff but not that much. We held possession and set up plays then whereas before we''d at best string together a few passes and then lose it in some sad way.

But yes, it''s done so forget it and show up to play vs Villa like we did vs Soton.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]jas, but we''d have at least been ente rtained. I feel bad for the roadies who have to sit thru that and then endure the trip home feeling like they''ve wasted a day.[/quote]you really would want us to lose every week so long as it was "Entertaining" wouldn''t you?

There''s always two teams but as Norwich fans we concentrate on ours and what we are doing. Rickyyyyyyy''s right to say Spurs could back off a bit as they were 2-0 up. They have other important games to come too.

ricardo do you work for the club ? do they pay you a retainer for going on here and being positive  ? you should change your name to pollyanna, i cannot believe you live in this polite trevor brooking type bubble of niceness and never feel even slighlty put out when the team have served up a crock of shyte ?

---- Rather lose 6-0 and have a go.

I think the real point is, would we be getting better results. Today we kept on with the same failing tactics until the 74th minute. It was pretty obvious we needed to do something different to try and change the direction of the game.

[quote user="im spartacus"]ricardo do you work for the club ? do they pay you a retainer for going on here and being positive  ? you should change your name to pollyanna, i cannot believe you live in this polite trevor brooking type bubble of niceness and never feel even slighlty put out when the team have served up a crock of shyte ?

[/quote]Believe me sunshine when I tell you that you''ve never seen shyte. I''ve been doing this for over 60 years and you may not realise it but you are lucky enough to be living during a dream time. If you want to talk about crap teams and crap football from NCFC then I can assure you that I''ve seen more than most people on here. Just think yourself fortunate you never had to watch Charlie Billington playing in the old 3rd Division South.Some of you lot don''t know you''re born.

--- nutty nigel: There''s always two teams but as Norwich fans we concentrate on ours and what we are doing. Rickyyyyyyy''s right to say Spurs could back off a bit as they were 2-0 up. They have other important games to come too.

Indeed, similar to teams with nothing to play for at the end of the season.

But Ricky is a coward. He is basically saying nothing we could have done would have made one jot of difference. Of course, he has no idea if this is true, because we didn''t try anything. The management team accepted defeat on 49 minutes.

Thirty million quid spent on new players, international quality players, and yet the attitude of the club has changed to one where we are frightened by the opposition so much, they scare us into thinking we are not good enough. Indeed, we gave up this one.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]--- nutty nigel: There''s always two teams but as Norwich fans we concentrate on ours and what we are doing. Rickyyyyyyy''s right to say Spurs could back off a bit as they were 2-0 up. They have other important games to come too.

Indeed, similar to teams with nothing to play for at the end of the season.

But Ricky is a coward. He is basically saying nothing we could have done would have made one jot of difference. Of course, he has no idea if this is true, because we didn''t try anything. The management team accepted defeat on 49 minutes.

Thirty million quid spent on new players, international quality players, and yet the attitude of the club has changed to one where we are frightened by the opposition so much, they scare us into thinking we are not good enough. Indeed, we gave up this one.[/quote]They didn''t need to scare us CJF, I watched the game and we quite clearly were''nt good enough. It could have been a lot worse but thankfully they didn''t crack despite being outclassed. As for spending £30 million, well it just goes to show that the big boys can always outspend you.

--- ricardo: It could have been a lot worse but thankfully they didn''t crack despite being outclassed.

Utter dirge, we gave up. The management team cracked. When the subs were made it was quite clear we had decided to settle on a 2-0 defeat. It was the cowards option to take. Two goals was not insurmountable. But we made it so. I would rather we lost 4-0 and had a go at trying to draw the game, than accepting the defeat as we chose.

The management team today reminded me of a quote from the Simpsons: "We''ve tried nothing and we''re all out of ideas."

I believe Spurs spent Thirty million quid on one player alone. I would say their average price/player was about four times ours.

The opposition frightened me, I''m not surprised they frightened our players. What the Hell do you expect? This isn''t a cartoon where Jerry swings Tom round his head before booting him over the garden fence.

Their players were on top of their game. I reckon they could beat just about any team in the league when they play like that. Even if all our players were at their best (which they weren''t) we would therefore have been beaten. Our only realistic hope was that they ''punch themselves out'', we snatch a goal & their confidence evaporate. It didn''t happen. We lost.