Sign in to follow this  
Reggie Strayshun

First cracks appearing ?

Having read the full text of John Ruddy''s thoughts in the EDP, and also between the lines of Bassong''s contribution, I just wonder if the first cracks in the Hughton edifice are beginning to appear ?

Big John''s words are, by any measure, pretty critical of the Hughton mantra and his tactical nous. Seb''s more measured approach nevertheless suggest a tacit criticism of what the setup is.

Some of the more easily pleased members of this forum brand those of us who are questioning the Hughton method as "armchair managers" (and that''s one of the more pleasant phrases). But when senior professionals like Ruddy and Bassong are calling some aspects of the Hughton regime into question , it''s not so easy for his supporters to be as dismissive.

I hope we really do ''go gung ho'' next away game just to see what happens. More often than not, i''m pretty sure we''ll get stung though.

There''s plenty of scope in between all out gung ho and the kind of stuff Hughton seems to favour Jimmy.

Irrespective of what happens v A Villa, Stoke is another of those away games that given the right tactics and mindset is eminently winnable.

Pahaha! So you hope he loses the dressing room so we can go on a bad run of results and he gets sacked so that even Mourinho coming in couldn''t turn us round and keep us from Relegation.

Come on then Wiz, who would you put in charge that is available?

Stoke away, whilst being a tough game, should be one where we do have a chance to showcase a strong counter attacking game. Wolfy will have to be on top form as this is one where he will get particularly frustrated with Stokes mean centre half pairing. Remember they were very close to beating Man City this weekend though. Despite their physicality, i feel they will be vulnerable down the flanks and this is a big day for both the wingers and full backs, whoever plays.

[quote user="Wiz"]I just pray Hooton is losing the dressing room.[/quote]

i can believe you''ve said that.....that''s quite something isn''t it, the fact that i expected you to post something like that.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Pahaha! So you hope he loses the dressing room so we can go on a bad run of results and he gets sacked so that even Mourinho coming in couldn''t turn us round and keep us from Relegation. Come on then Wiz, who would you put in charge that is available? Stoke away, whilst being a tough game, should be one where we do have a chance to showcase a strong counter attacking game. Wolfy will have to be on top form as this is one where he will get particularly frustrated with Stokes mean centre half pairing. Remember they were very close to beating Man City this weekend though. Despite their physicality, i feel they will be vulnerable down the flanks and this is a big day for both the wingers and full backs, whoever plays.[/quote]

If its an away game Jimmy, Hooton will set out NOT TO LOSE...............and will!............thats why he has to go now.

Oh, and give MacCarthy a call........he''s only at a small club at the mo.

[quote user="morty"]McCarthy.

Give me strength.
[/quote]

Oh, you said you could see the logic of it a few weeks backs![:|]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="morty"]McCarthy.Give me strength.[/quote]

Oh, you said you could see the logic of it a few weeks backs![:|]

[/quote]No, I seriously doubt that. You must have misinterpreted.

Hardly the first cracks given our poor start last season and the run after christmas...

A new house can take time to settle and cracks will appear over that time. The important thing is to take the correct action over these cracks, do we really need to dig out the foundations or underpin the house and risk further damage when all that might be needed is a little bit of filler :P

Players like to have a bit of freedom, to be able to express themselves.

It''s quite obvious that Hughton''s management style does not allow for much freedom. Which isn''t a problem if you''re winning games but if things aren''t going well it becomes very frustrating.

The team want to know that the manager has confidence in them to go out and cause problems to the opposition. The way we looked on Saturday very much seemed to say that Hughton didn''t fancy our chances and the players would have felt that.

[quote user="GJP"]

Players like to have a bit of freedom, to be able to express themselves.

It''s quite obvious that Hughton''s management style does not allow for much freedom. Which isn''t a problem if you''re winning games but if things aren''t going well it becomes very frustrating.

The team want to know that the manager has confidence in them to go out and cause problems to the opposition. The way we looked on Saturday very much seemed to say that Hughton didn''t fancy our chances and the players would have felt that.

[/quote]The players aren''t brainless idiots though, well most aren''t lol. Do you think that Hughton could have motivated them so much they would have thought they could go and win the game? Lets face it, the very best we could have hoped for was keeping it tight and bringing a point home.Theres no point in being unrealistic in your expectations, and no point in trying set out a game plan that, in reality, is totally unachievable.

I''d nearly agree morty, i think the best to hope would have been keep it tight, frustrate them and nick a goal from a set piece. We should always go for a 1-0 win away as opposed to 0-0. Ever since the 3 points for a win rule was brought in, going for a win at all costs is the right idea.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I''d nearly agree morty, i think the best to hope would have been keep it tight, frustrate them and nick a goal from a set piece. We should always go for a 1-0 win away as opposed to 0-0. Ever since the 3 points for a win rule was brought in, going for a win at all costs is the right idea.[/quote]I spoke to a bloke on the train on the way home from the game and he honestly said 2Yeah well, we should be beating teams like Spurs"I didn''t quite know what to say.

[quote user="morty"]

Do you think that Hughton could have motivated them so much they would have thought they could go and win the game?

[/quote]

That''s his job.

Even if he doesn''t think we can do it he has to make the players believe they can do it. If you''re beaten before you step foot on the pitch then you''re in trouble.

Football relies on uncertainty. Once you cross the line it''s just 11 vs 11.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"]

Do you think that Hughton could have motivated them so much they would have thought they could go and win the game?

[/quote]

That''s his job.

Even if he doesn''t think we can do it he has to make the players believe they can do it. If you''re beaten before you step foot on the pitch then you''re in trouble.

[/quote]Yes, obviously its his job.But the way some people are going on here you''d think his team talk consisted of ""Right lads, we''re going to get mullerred here, lets try and keep the beating respectable"All this knee jerking is just ridiculous.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I''d nearly agree morty, i think the best to hope would have been keep it tight, frustrate them and nick a goal from a set piece. We should always go for a 1-0 win away as opposed to 0-0. Ever since the 3 points for a win rule was brought in, going for a win at all costs is the right idea.[/quote]

so that is the best we can hope for, not an expectation but a hopedearie dear meno one was expecting us to walk over Spurs and virtually every City fan would have been aware what we were up against but it is rather worrying to hear someone say we should hope to play what should have been a dead certain strategytime and time again City were sitting off Spurs,and when they did challenge it was the old tactic of trying to crowd out the Spurs player ............. leaving him to pass to an unmarked playerSpurs as with other clubs create space, their players are constantly moving, giving the man on the ball plenty of options ... we don''t, once we have the ball it is almost as if the players are told don''t move out of your zoneSnodgrass and Redmond run with the ball .. to where, no one is following up, there is limited options in passing so the ball is lost through an enforced passwe have a tean being paid millions, and manager and a coaching staff on a fair old whack and the best we can do is hope ...hope that they can get the basics rightno wonder even the players are complaining and pointing out the failings

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"]

[/quote]

That''s his job.

[/quote]

Yes, obviously its his job.

But the way some people are going on here you''d think his team talk consisted of ""Right lads, we''re going to get mullerred here, lets try and keep the beating respectable"

All this knee jerking is just ridiculous.
[/quote]

Some of the knee jerking is ridiculous, I agree.

But I think criticism of the usual approach to away games is generally quite fair.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"]

[/quote]

That''s his job.

[/quote]Yes, obviously its his job.But the way some people are going on here you''d think his team talk consisted of ""Right lads, we''re going to get mullerred here, lets try and keep the beating respectable"All this knee jerking is just ridiculous.[/quote]

But I think criticism of the usual approach to away games is generally quite fair.

[/quote]What is his usual approach though?What if the actual reality is that we''re just not very good?

[quote user="snake-eyes"]Now now Morty don''t be so negative! Lol! [:D][/quote]I''m a realist, a few here should try it lol[;)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="morty"]

[/quote]

That''s his job.

[/quote]

Yes, obviously its his job.

But the way some people are going on here you''d think his team talk consisted of ""Right lads, we''re going to get mullerred here, lets try and keep the beating respectable"

All this knee jerking is just ridiculous.
[/quote]

[/quote]

What is his usual approach though?

What if the actual reality is that we''re just not very good?
[/quote]

Sit deep, sit tight. Try to limit the space in our third that the opposition can exploit.