Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

My view on yesterday

---- nutty nigel": Help me out here, cuz it''s boring when you don''t bring anything to the table, what do you think his game plan is?

Away from home against most teams, prioritise not conceding early, keep it solid, keep our shape and let the 4 forward players attempt to nick a goal at the other end.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

So is that a difference in the way we were set out or the way we played? I''m sure we weren''t sent out there to concede posession and back off in the way we did. The only thing that could result from that is defeat. Is it now the case that some people believe the manager sends his team out to lose?

[/quote]

I don''t think anyone on this board can answer the question. I arrived 5 minutes late for the game and from the moment I arrived it was clear City were dropping deep and conceding possession.  I don''t know why but we did consistently through the game, failing to press them higher up the field.  As you say Nutty it would be strange for the manager to decide to use that approach. 

Aside from inviting the other team forward and giving them time to work out how to break down your defence, the other problem is that it led to us having very little of the ball, and meant that RVW could hardly get involved.

My hope is that it will have a similar effect to the Fulham game last year in giving a collective boot up the bum to the team and make the manager realise what has got to be changed in our next away game. Stoke away is a good place to try a more aggressive approach when we havent'' got the ball.