Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Next away day

How about we go with this line up next away day, just to really go all out?

Ruddy, Whittaker, R Bennett, Bassong, Olsson, Redmond, Fer, Hoolahan, Pilkington, Hooper, RVW

I wonder how it would do?

Stoke appear much improved this season and were unlucky not to beat Man City Saturday , they will brush us aside whatever team we put out .

Against Stoke you need to be set up to defend physically against their style (unless people are going to tell me they''ve changed their long ball approach under the new manager).  But our standard back 4 with Johnson and Tettey in front should do ok.

Going forward we should make much more effort to get the ball on the ground and keep possession so I would go with Redmond/Snoddy on the wings and Fer just behind RVW.  This would give us the option of hoofing the ball to Fer when necessary while the players should be told to try to get it to feet to RVW (either direct or in the channels for him to run onto) whenever possible, ditto Redmond/Snoddy should be told to play the simple ball more often and mix it up between putting in crosses and trying to beat their man and run into the box.

In other words we shouldn''t aim to out-muscle Stoke, but we should be ready to match them physically while playing more of a passing game as much as we can.

Plus we should keep a high line and close down their possession as high up the field as we can.  Fullbacks should have licence to get forward like at Man City last season.

I do think that Olson will play against Stoker either way - the rest will probably be down to form.

- and under no circumstances do I see Ryan B being chosen ahead of a fit Turner,  or probably Martin at cback.