Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Ashton-Man City

Another day, another Ashton rumour. Only another 90 to the start of the season- and 90 clubs left in the league he could join. How about Ashton off to Torquay tomorrow?

[quote]And pray tell where they''d have the money to buy him, they''re skint[/quote]

Perhaps they''re going to swop SWP for him

Why is everyone so keen to start the rumours about our best players?  Deano signed for us when we were virtual certs for relegation and knew the score.  He''s a good lad and wouldn''t dream of walking out on us.  We don''t need to sell, so let''s look forward to a front line including Ash, Hucks and Leon ripping apart Championship defences - bring on the fun...

[quote]Why is everyone so keen to start the rumours about our best players? Deano signed for us when we were virtual certs for relegation and knew the score. He''s a good lad and wouldn''t dream of walking o...[/quote]

First Point - there will always be rumours, mostly started by the press or agents. They are a fact of football life and whether or not they appear on this board won''t stop the inevitable speculation.

Second Point - Dead right he knew the score, or at least his agent did. The score being that he would get 3 or 4 months playing in the Premiership shop window - a very good insurance policy if Norwich happened to get relegated.

Third Point - I''m no doubting that he isn''t a good lad but he is human. Good lads are no different from anyone else - they too want fame, glory and money.

Fourth Point - Don''t kid yourself that "he wouldn''t dream of walking out on us". He doesn''t have time to dream about that specifically as he''s probably too busy dreaming about fame, glory and money. After all, he walked out on Crewe and he had more reason to be loyal to them than he does to us.

Fifth Point - We don''t need to sell him but if the right offer came along I''ve no doubt that we would be more than tempted - in case you don''t know, it''s a tradition at this Club to sell the best players. Anyway, we could probably buy a half decent defence with the money we''d get.

Now I''m not saying that I think he will go but I really do wish that people would live in the real world and see things as they really are rather than constantly living in some sort of fantasy dream land or turning a blind eye to things that are starring them in the face.

What worries me is that, unless I''ve missed something, Worthy and the Board have not said "We will not sell Deano, full stop" (like Jordan has said about Submarine Johnson at Palace), they''ve only said "we don''t NEED to sell him". A big difference. 

So you wish some people would live in the real world - by that you mean your sad, pessimistic world.  I would use the word cynical, but I think that would be an understatement.

[quote]So you wish some people would live in the real world - by that you mean your sad, pessimistic world. I would use the word cynical, but I think that would be an understatement.[/quote]

Use whatever words you like - I just see things as they are, it''s not being pessimistic, it''s being realistic

Surely you cannot believe the drivel you posted in your original comments - "he''s a good lad, he wouldn''t dream of walking out on us"

Sorry but you are living in the past. In 2005 it just doesn''t happent like that any more.

Deano may well want fame and fortune but the fact of the matter is that he is only 21 years old and is good enough to achieve what he wants in the game. He will know that he has time on his side and I''m very confident that he''ll be here for at least 1 more season and possibly more if we bounce straight back. It would be nice if the club said that they''re not interested in selling him at any price as palace have done with Johnson. If Preston fail to go up maybe we should make an offer for David Nugent who looks very impressive from what I''ve seen, they only paid a 100k for him and a club like Preston could ill afford to turn down a decent offer for him.

heard it was villa but hey it''s the crazy season if you want
to avoid all the rumours i''d recommend a long holiday until the
season starts.

[quote]Deano may well want fame and fortune but the fact of the matter is that he is only 21 years old and is good enough to achieve what he wants in the game. He will know that he has time on his side and I...[/quote]

So what if he''s only 21. How old was Rooney then when he walked out on Everton ?

And as for Palace saying they won''t sell Johnson for any price, well if you believe that then you''ll believe anything.

I mean, don''t the people who post on here understand anything about how football operates these days. Why are people so naive ?

Look, to save getting into more arguments with people on this subject I am not saying that he will go, that he wants to go or that I want him to go, far from it. But you have to look at the facts and understand what happens in football. The facts are these -

1. While Ashton was playing for Crewe, he was not very well known.

2. Since he signed for City he has been playing in the Premiership.

3. Furthermore he has shown that he can more than cope at this level.

4. All the Premiership clubs will have seen this and all of a sudden he gets added to other Clubs'' wish lists.

5. All Premiership clubs are willing to pay big money for an effective striker, particularly one who is only 21 years old.

6. All football clubs say they will not sell their best players, particularly when they are trying to sell season tickets for next season.

7. All football clubs are economic with the truth.

8. Players don''t think for themselves anymore - they pay agents to do that for them.

9. Agents do not understand loyalty - they are paid by players to get them the best clubs and the best wages

10.. The best players do not play in the Championship.

Agents may not understand loyalty, but did any of you know that Dean Ashton does not employ an agent???

Yes thats right, its his uncle who "acts" as his agent because Deano doesn''t like employing agents due to their "GO FOR THE FAME AND MONEY" approach. This is why i believe that he''ll be here for next season. He''s not a mercenary, and he wants to show his loyalty to norwich after they took a gamble on him in breaking the club''s transfer record to sign him.

Trust me... He WILL be here come the opening fixture of the 05/06 season. If he isn''t i''ll eat my hat!!!

[quote]Agents may not understand loyalty, but did any of you know that Dean Ashton does not employ an agent??? Yes thats right, its his uncle who "acts" as his agent because Deano doesn''t like employing a...[/quote]

He hasn''t got an agent but his uncle acts as his agent ?

So he''s got an agent then !

The poster above is right Worthy has not come out and said we wont sell Ashton or any of our better players, what he did say was it would have to be a very very good offer for Norwich City which translated means if you offer enough money we are prepared to sell.

HE aint going knowhere stop the negativity and be positive.anyway if he wanted to leave whats the point in keeping a player against his wishes. i totally agree with previuos quote he joined us knowing full well we could get relegated. i think we will keep all our good players as they all know we will be back in prem next year.fingers crossed for the hammers tonight keep the scum down.

Worthy is right. Every player has their price and every club is prepared to sell for the right amount. How could we turn down 15 million for him? For those who claim that Ashton is a "loyal lad" and so forth, he''s only been with us a few months! How loyal to NCFC can he be???Still, I feel that he''ll stick with us at least until the January transfer window, when a really large bid from a desperate premier team will prise him away in a deal that "couldn''t be refused". Maybe he''ll even stay longer if we look like being promoted.

The way I look at it is that if Ashton goes we will struggle next year. It will take us years to find another talent just like him for just 3 million. Ashton is invaluable to Norwich City. Lets keep it that way.

...........but what everybody is forgetting is that he''s only scored seven goals for us. That''s hardly tried and tested and any club spending £5m plus in the Prem to help them into Europe would surely want somebody who has scored goals on a regular basis at the highest level. Ashton has scored some nice goals so far for us but its been over a short period of time and we really need to consider who would be in the market to take a risk like that.