Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

Losing my love for Norwich City FC

Nobody is immune Ricardo, what concerns me is that your very fair injection of realism sets a tone of acceptance that things may go wrong and that''s the way it is. That attitude causes a paralysis that resists change which I think is now necessary.

You little Norwicher you Rickyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I''m not as old as you but I am lucky enough to have seen every season we have been in the top flight. That''s 24 in our entire history. This is our 3rd season this time. In 2004/5 we had 1 season. 86/95 was our best spell of 9 seasons. 82/85 was 3. 75/81 was 6. And finally 72/74 was 2. That''s an average of four seasons each visit.

Here we are just 4 games into our third season and the world has ended because we were totally annihilated by Spurs. Not 5-0 by the scum. Not 7-1 at home to Colchester. Those results were bearable but apparently losing 2-0 to Spurs is the straw that broke the "fan of the year''s" back.

It''s the 4th game of the season FFS. It''s not a continuation of last season. We have new attacking players and yet they are already tarred with results and performances from when they weren''t even at our club. Last season we had new defensive players and by the first week in October we  had just 3 points and had conceded 17 goals. But the new defence bedded in and we improved from then on. Why are these new attackers not being allowed the same breathing space? Why are they lumbered with last seasons hangover?

Nothing has ever been sorted by the second Saturday in September. Has it?

It is a continuation of last season with the same management team and the same old away form despite the £30 million.

Wake up!

Now I understand why you were a bog cleaner!

[quote user="Vanwink"]Nobody is immune Ricardo, what concerns me is that your very fair injection of realism sets a tone of acceptance that things may go wrong and that''s the way it is. That attitude causes a paralysis that resists change which I think is now necessary.[/quote]Nothing to do with attitude, I''m sure QPR and the other relegated clubs were convinced that they had a "can do" attitude last year. Every year is a fight for most clubs in this league because none of us have divine right to be there. we aren''t Man U and we aren''t Arsenal  and most likely never will be given the realative sizes of our city and the wealth of our region. Beneath us are numerous clubs at a similar level and with an equal or better claim to fame.You talk about potential and yes there is much that we can build on as long as we don''t slip up but every year three clubs WILL go down. I am sure they are also convinced that they have potential. The league is littered with clubs of our size who thought they''d made it on a permanent basis only to find that their number had come up and they would have to start over.There are plenty of "potentially" big clubs biding their time in the Championship ready to take their turn in the sun when we take our eye off the ball. I don''t think there is anything negative about stating the fact that its fairly certain odds that one day we will find ourselves back down in their positions looking up. The key is that we are in a position to bounce back and not have to spend a decade putting things back together again.

Well of course it''s not a continuation of last season. Nothing like. And if you can''t see that I doubt you''d even get employment cleaning bogs.

"There are plenty of "potentially" big clubs biding their time in the Championship ready to take their turn in the sun when we take our eye off the ball."

Why do you say "when we take our eye off the ball" ?

You seem to accept that as an inevitable consequence of the way our club is run? It doesn''t have to be like that you know

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

You little Norwicher you Rickyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I''m not as old as you but I am lucky enough to have seen every season we have been in the top flight. That''s 24 in our entire history. This is our 3rd season this time. In 2004/5 we had 1 season. 86/95 was our best spell of 9 seasons. 82/85 was 3. 75/81 was 6. And finally 72/74 was 2. That''s an average of four seasons each visit.

Here we are just 4 games into our third season and the world has ended because we were totally annihilated by Spurs. Not 5-0 by the scum. Not 7-1 at home to Colchester. Those results were bearable but apparently losing 2-0 to Spurs is the straw that broke the "fan of the year''s" back.

It''s the 4th game of the season FFS. It''s not a continuation of last season. We have new attacking players and yet they are already tarred with results and performances from when they weren''t even at our club. Last season we had new defensive players and by the first week in October we  had just 3 points and had conceded 17 goals. But the new defence bedded in and we improved from then on. Why are these new attackers not being allowed the same breathing space? Why are they lumbered with last seasons hangover?

Nothing has ever been sorted by the second Saturday in September. Has it?

[/quote]You know the history as well as I do Nigel. The problem with having four great seasons in a row is that some people start to think it''s the norm and that it will continue for ever in this upward trajectory. I''ve tried to inject a note of caution from time to time only to get labelled a doom-monger, unambitious etc etc. I suppose it''s human nature but I guess you only learn some things with time and experience.Personally speaking I''m happy to be riding the wave, I''ve ridden it a few times  before and that''s how I know that for every peak there is a trough.

[quote user="Vanwink"]"There are plenty of "potentially" big clubs biding their time in the Championship ready to take their turn in the sun when we take our eye off the ball."

Why do you say "when we take our eye off the ball" ?

You seem to accept that as an inevitable consequence of the way our club is run? It doesn''t have to be like that you know[/quote]Fer Chrissake, exscuse me for asking, but how old are you?

You know that you are privilidged to live enough near CR or away cities to at least participate the games or if we drop down to see our team at all...

We really dont play that bad football people makes us in their talks, so if you los your love because of our style, you never loved the team.

I had to pay near 500 euros to get to see one game when we were in league 1 and championship. I personaly prefer us to play top division even if we would play like Stoke year or two ago and I would still stand behind our players and manager.

Under Lambert there were many games where we just sit back. At least under Hughton we try to play in every game, even against Tottenhams and Manure...

For a god sake if you are supporter of the team stand behind it. You can moan when we lose, you can call Hughton out or bash our players, but when you are losing a faith for your team when they are quite much doing their job you were never real fan of the team.

Even if this would be a continuation of previous season, we were fecking 11th! Most part of previous season we played good football.. Not a hoofball, but ->football<-.

In this season we have had 3 good games and two bad games. In Everton, Southampton and that nonsense cup game we played quite much end to end and games were exiting. If you cant see that and still miss the "Lambert era" you were always going to be anti-Hughton and never gave him a chance.

I personaly hope that everyone who miss the long ball game and only counter against any bigger team aspect for our game will lose their love for the team or at least stop writing in supporters forums and go watch league 2 or some league at same level where professionalism and love for the sport doesnt matter.

I personaly despise anyone who even hint they could LOSE THEIR LOVE for the team because of manager or playing style..

[quote user="Lavanche"]

I personaly despise anyone who even hint they could LOSE THEIR LOVE for the team because of manager or playing style..[/quote]

No more needs to be said Lavanche, you''ve hit the nail on the head old son.[:D]

Obviously I feel sorry with the OP but it''s possibly an age thing? My dad stopped going for a while during Ron Saunders reign because he didn''t like the style of play and the struggle that accompanied initial promotion. He didn''t enjoy it and decided that he had better things to do with his scarce spare time and money. But he was soon back.

I don''t think that you can say firmly that you have fallen out of love until you have had a trial separation - my guess is tat if the OP tried it, he would soon miss it. There is something about supporting your team that nothing else can replace - even if it is a strain at times! It''s the difficult times that make the good ones so enjoyable.

The only thing that I would add, however, is what about the old maxim of giving it a dozen games before forming strong opinions? I feel some people are over-reacting to one poor result and one poor performance.

Nigel said

P42 W11 D15 L16 F44 A63 Pts 48

lol"

Not quite sure why you posted that with a lol Nigel, the point I am making is that we are continuing in the same way as last season.

If you want figures then I guess the best ones to remind you of are these:-

from Christmas to end of season 2012 we gained 13 points away from home.

from Christmas to end of season 2013 we gained 5 points away from home and three of those at Man City when they had just lost their manager and were I''m afraid o. t.. b.....

This season so far NIL away from home.

Now explain to me how that is not a continuation of our form from last season!

Durr.......

Because they''re different players?

Winky.. what was your career choice? I hope it wasn''t anything that involved the use of logic...

But it''s the same manager Nigel and despite better players nothing has changed. I won''t add the insult cos it''s not necessary!

A few different players, same tactics, same perfomences, same results.

Yes Warren Hill that will do fine but lets hope we dont flirt so closely with relegation this time around.

[quote user="JF"]A few different players, same tactics, same perfomences, same results.[/quote]

4 games JF. That''s all. Last season after 7 games we''d conceded nearly a third of the season''s goals. That came right didn''t it?

[quote user="Vanwink"]Nigel said

P42 W11 D15 L16 F44 A63 Pts 48

lol"

Not quite sure why you posted that with a lol Nigel, the point I am making is that we are continuing in the same way as last season.

If you want figures then I guess the best ones to remind you of are these:-

from Christmas to end of season 2012 we gained 13 points away from home.

from Christmas to end of season 2013 we gained 5 points away from home and three of those at Man City when they had just lost their manager and were I''m afraid o. t.. b.....

This season so far NIL away from home.

Now explain to me how that is not a continuation of our form from last season![/quote]

Statistics : The only science that enables different experts using the same figures to draw different conclusions
          (Evan Esar 1899-195)

Look at the results away from home post Christmas last season Nigel, 5 points (including the Man City result).

We were cr@p away from home and we are the same now.

Your dig at me about logic is bit rich from someone who can''t see the nose in front of his face!

[quote user="Vanwink"]But it''s the same manager Nigel and despite better players nothing has changed. I won''t add the insult cos it''s not necessary![/quote]

No because you found my career choice relevant in your previous post. So what was your career choice Winky?

Yes Nigel last season did come right, we had a superb league table finish and some great victories. But our league form has been so poor since xmas and the performences equally poor that its concerning me he doesnt know how to turn it around. Our away form can not continue the way it has, we simply can not rely on picking up enough points at home to survive cos that will bite us on the arse. We could discuss these things 24/7 on these forums but surly the one thing we can all agree on is that we will need to pick up points on the road to survive? And i honestly don''t see where those points are coming from with our away mindset.