Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

Losing my love for Norwich City FC

From Walker to Lambert, whenever I''ve had a chance to watch City I''ve either made the 2+ hour trip to Norwich or travelled the country to away games.  Living in London a trip to White Hart Lane would take me only 45 minutes by foot, but I just can''t be bothered.  I had the game streaming yesterday but spent the whole second half in the kitchen, I''m just not interested.  We were cr@p under Peter Grant, Roeder was useless and Gunn took up to our lowest position in years, but I still enjoyed the buzz of a Saturday and going to football, but now its just gone.  Home games are bearable, but away from home I need to stay away otherwise it could be terminal.One man is destroying our club, one by one people are starting to see what he''s doing, and I really hope it changes before it''s too late.  Forget expanding Carrow Road, you might as well look at building a new hotel if things don''t change.  I''ve been brainwashed and will keep renewing my season ticket regardless of how we play and what league we''re in, but not everyone is as stupid.

You preferred going to games during the Grant, Roeder and Gunn years than the recent season and a bit under Hughton?Say WhattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttWe beat Arsenal, United, Man City, Spurs and Everton a few months back 0.0

Coming from a respected poster such as you Matt it merely confirms my fears.

I keep telling myself that it will all work out and so many on here defend Hoots that I begin to think perhaps I am a pantwetter extraordinaire.

I so hope that we and the others that have the bare faced cheek to moan are proved wrong. I will accept all the accusations of not understanding football, not being a true supporter and that Hughton is a better manager the Lambert, if come the end of the season we are still in the Prem. Hey perhaps we can all become friends again

[quote user="Matt Juler"]From Walker to Lambert, whenever I''ve had a chance to watch City I''ve either made the 2+ hour trip to Norwich or travelled the country to away games.  Living in London a trip to White Hart Lane would take me only 45 minutes by foot, but I just can''t be bothered.  I had the game streaming yesterday but spent the whole second half in the kitchen, I''m just not interested.  We were cr@p under Peter Grant, Roeder was useless and Gunn took up to our lowest position in years, but I still enjoyed the buzz of a Saturday and going to football, but now its just gone.  Home games are bearable, but away from home I need to stay away otherwise it could be terminal.One man is destroying our club, one by one people are starting to see what he''s doing, and I really hope it changes before it''s too late.  Forget expanding Carrow Road, you might as well look at building a new hotel if things don''t change.  I''ve been brainwashed and will keep renewing my season ticket regardless of how we play and what league we''re in, but not everyone is as stupid.[/quote]LOL Grow up.

Typical disrespectful replies. If you met the OP and he expressed these views after the match is this really how you would react?

This is a vehicle for debate not for nasty slanging matches

I would say one man may be causing us to play fairly dire football, but to claim that one man is ''destroying our club'' is a bit over stretching things.If you can remain calm when all others a losing ........

........ or remain with the club when the first game in the 3rd tier sees us hammered at home as hard as we ever have been then you should see this is a mere blip.

Stay with it

I think people expected the first season to be kind of back to square one with a new manager in charge, although the performances after xmas were rather bland, we didn''t end up 11th, more than any of us would have expected and higher than lambert took us. Although we''ve not played well away from home, we''ve bought quite well and are only 4 games into the season. As City1st says; stay with it

Matt, just remember McNally is also watching these awful away performances and he wants Prem football next year.  He''ll make a move if things don''t improve having agreed to invest all that money on better players.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Typical disrespectful replies. If you met the OP and he expressed these views after the match is this really how you would react?

This is a vehicle for debate not for nasty slanging matches[/quote]

Tolerance of differing opinion is required for debate. lol

But alas, it seems that you must never bring a critique. Should you bring one, you are probably trying to stir the pot and have some hidden agenda as to why you posted originally. As if people have nothing better to do with their time that "wind up" as it has been called. Debate sport? Ha!

ReadingCanary wrote the following post at 2013-09-16 2:

We beat Arsenal, United, Man City, Spurs and Everton a few months back

What a pathetic statement to make - you are just like the binners down the A140 - living in the past and on history

It''s what happens now that matters - and quite simply it ain''t!

''kin hell!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought Worthy was apparently the worst. Anybody would be better than him I was told. Not going again until he''s sacked were the constant cries on here. Since then we''ve had grant, Roeder, Gunn, Lambert and Hughton.

Hughton is now worse than the lot. people who went through that whole Grant/Roeder/Gunn period enjoyed it far more than the current manager. Despite the fact we finished 11th in the premier league and got to the quarter finals of the league cup. Despite the fact we beat Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham, Manchester City and Everton in the process. Despite the fact we have 4 points from our first 4 games this season, they enjoyed Grant/Roeder/Gunn more....

OK......

Bring back Lol Morgan!

The reaction to losing to the team currently second in the league on their own patch just seems incredible. Had we played brilliantly and lost 2-0 we''d still be where we are.

I think you are simply being honest, Matt but it is probably a combination of things rathe than simply Chris Hughton because I feel disenchanted too.

There is the cost and detachment of football inane from the real world and sooner or later opinions will change. In Spain, youth unemployment is over 50% but look at the Bale deal. In some of our own regions the comparisons are stark.

For me, I miss at least four home games and that is a lot of wasted money.

The entertainment is diminishing along with the competitiveness and glass ceilings. We have been on a wonderful journey at Norwich City and now have to adjust to winning 30% of games and calling survival success.

We have lost players who did the journey with us and now import stars with other agendas, it''s harder to identify with them.

The ground has become a members only venue and fans are dividing themselves along those lines.

But I don''t think you or anyone else loses your love of NCFC because you love an entity, an identity. The staff come and go but the club is more which is why building more capacity is a moral choice not a financial one.

I lost my buzz for going to matches. The last games I truly enjoyed and which felt familiar involved the FA youth cup for reasons I have already described.

We are financially stable, that is the main thing, the Club goes on. If we get relegated I would feel more inclined to go to games again because there is a dream to chase.

But there can be a dream to chase most weeks in the EPL and it involves going to the likes of Spurs as underdogs with fire in the gut ready to give them a bloody nose.

Well there''s at least some progressyou accept that we didn''t play brilliantly

perhaps now after that, you could go away and come back with an explanation as to why we didn''t play ''brilliantly'' against a 10 man Hull........................... or why we didn''t play ''brilliantly'' for most of last season

then perhaps recognise that almost all the reaction is about that, NOT this most recent defeat

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I think you are simply being honest, Matt but it is probably a combination of things rathe than simply Chris Hughton because I feel disenchanted too.

There is the cost and detachment of football inane from the real world and sooner or later opinions will change. In Spain, youth unemployment is over 50% but look at the Bale deal. In some of our own regions the comparisons are stark.

The entertainment is diminishing along with the competitiveness and glass ceilings. We have been on a wonderful journey at Norwich City and now have to adjust to winning 30% of games and calling survival success.

We have lost players who did the journey with us and now import stars with other agendas, it''s harder to identify with them.

The ground has become a members only venue and fans are dividing themselves along those lines.

But I don''t think you or anyone else loses your love of NCFC because you love an entity, an identity. The staff come and go but the club is more which is why building more capacity is a moral choice not a financial one.

I lost my buzz for going to matches. The last games I truly enjoyed and which felt familiar involved the FA youth cup for reasons I have already described.

We are financially stable, that is the main thing, the Club goes on. If we get relegated I would feel more inclined to go to games again because there is a dream to chase.

But there can be a dream to chase most weeks in the EPL and it involves going to the likes of Spurs as underdogs with fire in the gut ready to give them a bloody nose.[/quote]

Great post Rudolph. I can identify with much of that. I don''t know if you remember but we had a conversation on here a few years ago about the relative benefits of being in the Prem avoiding the drop with success being able to look down through that glass ceiling. I think we concluded that it would become stale and boring and crowds would drop.........

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I think you are simply being honest, Matt but it is probably a combination of things rathe than simply Chris Hughton because I feel disenchanted too.

But there can be a dream to chase most weeks in the EPL and it involves going to the likes of Spurs as underdogs with fire in the gut ready to give them a bloody nose.[/quote]spot on

In my time of watching Norwich, only back to the early 70s, the final flings of the Chase era I found most difficult. What people are reacting to today is that the challenge of attaining PL football is much greater than in past decades, and the need to retain it is felt more acutely, probably due to its much higher public profile.

I think a valid question to ask, however, is why bother to upgrade our attacking options if we are either unwilling to deploy players or use tactics which are too predictable/defensive? We''ll get few, if any, points on the road if we continue with these tactics. It also increases pressure at our home games, and with Sir Paul coming to the city followed by the special one, neither of those games are going to be easy.

Perhaps, after all, it would be a good idea to look for the win and attack at Stoke?

[quote user="Hard Cell"]Matt, just remember McNally is also watching these awful away performances and he wants Prem football next year.  He''ll make a move if things don''t improve having agreed to invest all that money on better players. [/quote]

This is not the only post on these lines, that if things don''t improve McNally will act. As if that is that. No. He is not a superhero with magical powers. And he doesn''t control the club. The board of directors controls the club. Nor was it McNally who "agreed to invest all that money". Hilarious misconception. Again, that was the board.It is (probably) true that McNally was the prime mover in getting rid of Gunn and bringing in Lambert. But those were exceptional circumstances. Probably unique in my experience. McNally, who had played no part in Gunn''s reappointment, was able with a totally straight face to advocate his dismissal and , like a conjuror, produce  an instant replacement.The position is very different now. McNally shares responsibility for Hughton''s appointment. Added to which, the famous Seven-Year Plan outlined by McNally envisaged, as a natural event, relegation from the Premier League. Granted it was after one season rather than three, but it was on the very sensible basis that for a dirt-poor club like Norwich it will always be a struggle.

Come on, PC. The board make the decisions final but it''s McNally, who presents them with his ideas and sells them on his plans. They chose him to do that because he''s the one with the football mind and vision.

I think they pretty much decide if his plans are workable and affordable. He''s the surgeon and the board is the patient. He works for them, but they trust he knows what''s best better than they do themselves.

But there can be a dream to chase most weeks in the EPL and it involves going to the likes of Spurs as underdogs with fire in the gut ready to give them a bloody nose.[/quote]

1st line, second paragraph, Rudolph - nailed it!

Some people are slowly realising that footballers are not demi Gods, they are just human beings who earn obscene money, and up to now fans have gone along with it, but it can''t continue without a reaction.

Staleness (i.e Teams not being able to break the Top 4/6 cliques, because of money) will set in, and we may have to get used to a top 10 finish as the ceiling of our achievements, and then what? Will people get bored, and turn their back on the Club? There may be a case for the next generation to take their places, but this will not last for too long.

Currently we have a full stadium, others do not. (When Blackburn were in the Prem, they used to have big numbers of empty seats)

Support your club, support the team ffs!!! I know it hasn''t been the way you wanted it to be away from home, but we''re only 4 games in ...

I just can''t believe this... I remember the 7-1 drubbing at home and I saw a superior Spurs team worth 100+ million play brilliant and beat us on saturday... WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WETTING YOUR PANTS FOR ALREADY!!!!

Matt you raise a point similar to one I noted a few years ago on the Norwich city official message board. But I think it is not Norwich it is football.

I do not enjoy football, the game has changed from when I grew up in the eighties, the style, the money, the fandom. The game has changed and does not excite me, I do not watch any other games of football, it is only an interest in Ncfc. I have no interest in individual players, the professional league is not exciting. It is just the survival of my club that has given me enjoyment as a boy that I still hold.

I do enjoy watching small teams, I have seen sheffield fc, Worksop, kings Lynn and love the grounds, the atmosphere and the passion. Fandom is different in the lower leagues, it is real.

After watching other sports where there are contests in every game and you can enjoy the sport, you realise that actually the sport of soccer can be very uninspiring.

I went to the spurs away game and I was thankful I went down to see friends, have food and drinks. The football was a side show,yes it was the focus of organising the trip, but I certainly wasn''t relying on that for my full entertainment. That is the way I have to think about it.

Last year I went across to America to watch my passion of the NFL and the 49ers in at San FRancisco and on Boston, this year I went to Monte Carlo for the ATP tennis tour. No question seeing these sports and watching them on then telly proved to me that the game of football is not my favoured sport.

Rugby league is a game where you can watch any game and enjoy the professional and competitive nature, you cannot cruise through a game like that or rugby union, even if you are winning or losing you cannot hide as the minutes tick away.

So Matt, I can understand your post. I certainly feel that although you say the love for Ncfc is going, it is the love of football. It is very hard to lose that core Ncfc love that has been built in for many years. Ncfc is more than football, but football means a lot less to me and has for a while.

Think a valid point has been made aboveWhen you''re in the Championship, you always have something to strive for. (Getting into the Prem)But Once you''re in the Prem it''s all about ensuring you don''t get relegatedThe mindset of the Club / Fans is completely different.Their is always a constant worry that failure will mean we head back into the league below.I found it extremely hard to actually enjoy matches towards the end of last season.I remember being at the pub with some mates during the Villa game where we lost 2-1 at Home. Honestly thought we had blown it and were relegated.Was absolutely gutted for that entire week.One of the main problems for a team like us in the Prem is we will always be worrying where the next point comes from. And if we can stay in the league.