Sign in to follow this  
NCFC for life 1993-

We are not newbies in the premiership anymore!

Some fans on here like to make the point....''look how far we have come in recent years'' and all that. Apparently we should be happy and be thankful. Lets remember we are not new to the premier league anymore.

Therefore we should be going to away grounds with a little more belief. We are an established premier league team or should be. Did anyone else think that the players self belief looked non existent yesterday and when you see players on the pitch moaning at each other, that is borne out of frustration and could be beacuse of the tactics employed. We may well see cracks appearing if we haven''t already in the players morale....

Sorry Mate ...you are completely wasting your time on this forum with any sort of genuine questioning of our position / status /tactics manager''s credentials on here ..... you will be shouted down by the "apologists" and the cliques of posters who all have their heads firmly buried in the sand !! I truly wish it was different ...but look at the responses that others have had ....enough to make you weep .... but well done for having a try at stating a thread .

[quote user="NCFC for life 1993-"]Some fans on here like to make the point....''look how far we have come in recent years'' and all that. Apparently we should be happy and be thankful. Lets remember we are not new to the premier league anymore.

Therefore we should be going to away grounds with a little more belief. We are an established premier league team or should be. Did anyone else think that the players self belief looked non existent yesterday and when you see players on the pitch moaning at each other, that is borne out of frustration and could be beacuse of the tactics employed. We may well see cracks appearing if we haven''t already in the players morale....[/quote]

Completely and utterly agree! Never been one to say ''''look where we were 3 years ago'''' etc, It''s where we are NOW, and where we are, is a side that looks like it has no confidence/belief, bereft of ideas and with a manager that hopes for a point in every game, which is not good enough. I know people will shoot me down soon because ''''we were in League 1 5 years ago, so should be happy to even be in existance'''' brigade will appear, but after spending £26m, including 2 top forwards, we should be able to atleast have a  few shots in a game!

You see, some of what you say I can relate to, then you let yourself down by saying that the manager is trying to get a point out of every game. That''s silly and I''m sure you know it is. We have spent lots of money, everybody has and we can look forward to seeing them play. There will always be an opposition team though and on occasion, they will play really well on the same day that we play really badly. Let''s hope it doesn''t happen too often.

[quote user="Barclay seats 48 49 the 3rd"]

Sorry Mate ...you are completely wasting your time on this forum with any sort of genuine questioning of our position / status /tactics manager''s credentials on here ..... you will be shouted down by the "apologists" and the cliques of posters who all have their heads firmly buried in the sand !! I truly wish it was different ...but look at the responses that others have had ....enough to make you weep .... but well done for having a try at stating a thread .

[quote user="NCFC for life 1993-"]Some fans on here like to make the point....''look how far we have come in recent years'' and all that. Apparently we should be happy and be thankful. Lets remember we are not new to the premier league anymore.

Therefore we should be going to away grounds with a little more belief. We are an established premier league team or should be. Did anyone else think that the players self belief looked non existent yesterday and when you see players on the pitch moaning at each other, that is borne out of frustration and could be beacuse of the tactics employed. We may well see cracks appearing if we haven''t already in the players morale....[/quote]

[/quote]

If I needed 2 seats i''d have a chip on my shoulder too...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Yeah but would your blanket be big enough to cover 2 seats ??  [;)]

This is what irritates me, us being in the lower leagues as little as 3 years ago has everything to do with how we are now.

We are still playing catch up to a lot of teams in terms of building a squad etc. We have had 2/3 years of Premier League money, a lot of other teams have had far longer than that. Teams that have come up like Cardiff, Southampton, West Ham etc have got incredibly rich beneficiaries.

Yes we''ve sent a bit of money on the team this year, this just about brings us up to scratch with the rest of the league and in a better position than 2 or 3 sides that have come up.

This year we will most likely finish anywhere between 10th and 16th IMO.

People need to grow up if they are judging us on the first 4 games.....  

A large part of football is having the right confidence and self belief - for a one man example just look at Torres. My worry is that not only will some of our players become more frustrated at our playing style than the fans, but that by keeping on sending our team out with the mentality that we are substandard and the only way we can get a result is to try and contain the opposition that the players are going to start to believe it and we don''t play to our full potential. We can''t go and play every team like we''re equals, because we''re not, but we have some good players and we deserve to be here and need to trust ourselves a bit more. When i went to the Bury game, we even started out that game looking fairly unconfident, but as the evening went on and the goals went in you could literally see the players grow on the pitch and their game just started to flow. I couldn''t believe that a Premiership team would look like they needed the confidence boost of playing a third tier team, but it looked that way. After a good win I hope that being outclassed by spurs doesn''t set them back again. Lets make sure we keep behind the players, keep on encouraging them and be quick to applaud and chant. Don''t forget their probably as frustrated when things go badly as you are if not more so.

The hat in hand, thank you for allowing us to visit your stadium approach to road games is maddening when we''re in our 3rd year. A bit of attitude, or swagger is what we need. The "who are ya" kind of mind set lets them know they''re in for a game and gives our boys the confidence necessary to challenge better teams in their own houses.

As the thread title ssys......

--- ellis206: We are still playing catch up to a lot of teams in terms of building a squad etc. We have had 2/3 years of Premier League money, a lot of other teams have had far longer than that.

Sorry, doesn''t wash with me at all. Most Premiership sides are full of ok premiership players, and those that don''t make the grade, anyone with real ability is pinched. Looking through the lineups of sides like West Brom, Villa and Sunderland and there are not many who I would take over our own players.

The rich beneficiaries really don''t make a great deal of difference anymore, higher wages quickly eat up any additional funds, and signing decent players is a struggle as anyone with real quality only wants a move to the top 6.

Of the side that started against Tottenham, only one player from our promotion to the Premiership remained: John Ruddy. Of the remaining 10 players, 9 were signed within the last 14 months. The only player signed by Lambert was Johnson.

I agree with your points, bar the players moaning one. I''d be much more concerned if our players were out there and not saying anything

It is strange we went to WHL with such a negative approach on Saturday, given that the year before we were much more positive and got a well-deserved draw and of course got a win the year before that.  So it''s not as if our players should have approached the fixture with feelings of foreboding, nor can I see why the manager would have tried to instil such an approach. 

I don''t understand it, I do hope there will be a reaction against it, both on Saturday and then in our next away league game.

I personally am disgusted at the clubs lack of ambition. I propose that we all stock up on NERF guns and fireworks. Then if, by the end of the season we are not in the top 2 after spending a paltry club record of £26m (including £13m on a couple of strikers), we should form a people''s army, storm the Colney training ground and attempt to take Stephen Fry hostage until UEFA confirm our participation in next season''s Champion''s League.

There will undoubtedly be a reaction on Saturday, lets hope it''s the right one and comes as a positive from the players and not a negative from the fans at the end of the game.

[quote user="nutty professor nigel"][quote user="Barclay seats 48 49 the 3rd"]

[quote user="NCFC for life 1993-"]Some fans on here like to make the point....''look how far we have come in recent years'' and all that. Apparently we should be happy and be thankful. Lets remember we are not new to the premier league anymore. Therefore we should be going to away grounds with a little more belief. We are an established premier league team or should be. Did anyone else think that the players self belief looked non existent yesterday and when you see players on the pitch moaning at each other, that is borne out of frustration and could be beacuse of the tactics employed. We may well see cracks appearing if we haven''t already in the players morale....[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And then you''d gobble it down without it touching the sides?

Whatever your opinion of the result at WHL there is one thing that stands out for me and that is a non league side would have put up more of a fight than we did. One thing about Hughton he has saved me quite a bit of money not going to away games, under the Lambert regime most Saturdays were taken up with either home or away games.

[quote user="Vanwink"]There will undoubtedly be a reaction on Saturday, lets hope it''s the right one and comes as a positive from the players and not a negative from the fans at the end of the game.[/quote]And if we don''t win by at least 4 clear goals it will be an over-reaction. In fact I''m gonna get a pre-emtive over-reaction in now. Sack the board, stone the manager and sell the first team! Let''s give Adams the job and play the U-15''s! [I]

80 games into this Prem period for us and while we are not newbies nor or we established comfortably quite yet.

For me ths problem is inconsistency. Some games last season we went in with confidence, others we seemed nervous and negative. we never knew which side would turn up. Even at home we were capable of being pretty cr*p and conceding possession to supposedly weaker sides. Away we could veer from inept to courageous and plucky. I think this is why there are still so may doubts about Hughton & Co. We all hoped the team would move on after a very poor run last season, but so far the signs have not been promising despite the spend levels. I seem to recall several posters asserting that we would see a different set up this year, but it is more like a natural continuation of last despite personnel changes. I can only conclude that there is something missing behind the scenes, nothing tangible perhaps, but some issue or approach somewhere which is holding the team back. But I agree that we definitely need to start games with a more positive mindset, not all gung ho and charge of the light brigade stuff, but at least feeling that we are capable of competing and, even if outclassed, trying to give the opposition a jolly good contest.