Sign in to follow this  
Nicko

Team for next week

In light of Saturdays performance (which in my mind was nothing to do with Hughton) what would be your starting 11''s for next week? I feel like it''s time for Garrido to drop to the bench, was nowhere near Townsend and Walker for the entire game and they seemed to get ALOT of joy down that side.

Also think Snodgrass needs a kick up the bum.

Ruddy

Whitaker Turner Bassong Olsson

Tettey Fer

Redmond Pilkington

Hooper

RVW

Time a shake up top. Give Hooper his home debut, why not? It''s only Villa ;)

I think this could be a day for Wes to play against his former boss. Villa are pretty good away from home due to their pace on the wings so i think Olsson might be useful to bring in.

I think Redmond and Pilkington should play as Snoddy needs a rest due to bad form.

We really need to trouble Villas shaky defence as they do leak goals when under pressure. Time for RVW to have a good game with the pressure of Hooper hanging over him. Fer and Tettey would be my choice in the middle with Hooper brought on at some point if RVW is struggling. Back 3 GK & CB''s remains as it is.

Villa beat us last year not due to pace or power of their strikers but because they controlled the midfield.   We need to make sure that does not happen again.

My team would be to keep the defence unchanged (although wavering on replacing Whittaker with Martin as the only change there) but change midfield - where Wessi in for Elmander is a live option too.   We have missed him.

Ruddy
Whittaker Turner Bassong Garrido
Redderz Fer Tettey Pilks
Elmander
RvW

Subs
Bunn, Martin, Hooper, Snodgrass, Howson, Wessi, Olsson

I''d like to see us play a slightly different formation. 4-1-4-1 a bit like arsenal and Chelsea used to play. Tettey or Johnson in front of the back 4 protecting it like makelele did, allowing the central midfield pair to support the lone striker. Perhaps Fer with either Wes or Howson. Fer had started to look like that box to box midfielder we longed for while Wes and Howson always look better going forward. This may also help us keep the ball a bit better. I''d like to see us go with something like this.

Ruddy

Whitts Turner Bassong Olssen

Tetty

Redmond Howson Fer Pilks

Wolf

A system like this plays to more of our players strengths. What do you think?

----------------ruddy-------------------

martin---turner--bassong---olsson

redmond---fer---howson--pilkington

--------hooper---wolfswinkel---------

I dont think Garrido has done much wrong. if they were getting a lot of joy down that wing it is probably because Nathan Redmond doesnt provide a whole lot of cover on that side. Matchwinner against Southampton but for me at fault for Coleman''s and Sigurdsson''s second goal by allowing his man far too much freedom.

If Garrido is being blamed then solidity on this side seems to be the concern. It would probably be better to consider a flank of Olsson and Garrido. Neither clueless on the offensive, but would be far more solid. Think Redmond might need a break. Hughton says he doesnt want him to play a full season at his age, though Pilks would be the obvious choice. With Snoddy looking off his best though, mayber we should play Olsson and Garrido on the left and Pilks on the right

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

I dont think Garrido has done much wrong. if they were getting a lot of joy down that wing it is probably because Nathan Redmond doesnt provide a whole lot of cover on that side. Matchwinner against Southampton but for me at fault for Coleman''s and Sigurdsson''s second goal by allowing his man far too much freedom.

If Garrido is being blamed then solidity on this side seems to be the concern. It would probably be better to consider a flank of Olsson and Garrido. Neither clueless on the offensive, but would be far more solid. Think Redmond might need a break. Hughton says he doesnt want him to play a full season at his age, though Pilks would be the obvious choice. With Snoddy looking off his best though, mayber we should play Olsson and Garrido on the left and Pilks on the right

[/quote]

While it is true that Redmond leaves Garrido exposed due to his cutting in and attacking intent, it could be prudent to put Olsson in as due to his pace he can recover his position quicker. Garrido has a horrible habit of getting caught about 5 yards too high - mainly due to him having to push forward to cover the space in front of him, but a faster player would be able to make that ground up again.

Also, I think Olsson is a better player than Garrido generally and have been disappointed that he hasn''t be given a greater chance to impress. Villa have a lot of pace and will look to counter Norwich, Olsson would be harder to do that against than Garrido.

For me;

Ruddy,

Whittaker, Turner, Olsson, Olsson

Pilkington, Fer, Tettey, Redmond

Howson

RVW

GK. Ruddy

DL. Olsson

DC. Bassong

DC. Turner

DR. Martin

DM. Fer

DM. Bradders

RAM. Snoddy

LAM. Pilks

CAM. Hoolahan

ST. RVW

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]i''ll be disappointed if Johnson and Snoddy are anywhere near the starting lineup.[/quote]Agreed.

ruddymartin r.bennett bassong garrido redmond fer johnson olsson                wolfie               hooper

[quote user="iron_stan"]                ruddymartin r.bennett bassong garrido redmond fer johnson olsson                wolfie               hooper[/quote]Johnson,.. really..REALLY!!!! you haven''t watched any games this season have you?

obvious troll is obvious

we dont have any other options, howson is lazy, and with a hard working midfield it frees up the wingers to do the attacking

[quote user="iron_stan"]lmao tettey is awful[/quote]and yet did more in the last 20 minutes on Saturday than Johnson has all season...have a look at how many chances we created AFTER Tettey came on.

Of late Johnson if I''m being honest actually looks like we''ve signed a player who''s been hyped up in the media yet when he plays for us he don''t look much better then anyone from league 1 or 2.

I''ve said before Johnson & Snodgrass are very average players at best and can''t for the life of me see where they''re fitting in.

Agree we''ve no one who''s capable of filling these positions but if we don''t sort it out soon these 2 players will have to be carried all season which in this division is a dangerous game to play.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="iron_stan"]lmao tettey is awful
[/quote]

and yet did more in the last 20 minutes on Saturday than Johnson has all season...

have a look at how many chances we created AFTER Tettey came on.
[/quote]

Similar to the Everton game, when Tettey came on and Howson pushed forward Norwich created 2 or 3 chances in the next 10 mins.

Johnson played well against Southampton, but was poor against Everton, Hull and Tottenham. Tettey can do everything Johnson can, but also keeps the ball better.

Team I would play:                                Ruddy  Martin       Turner             Bassong      Olsson  Redmond         Fer            Johsnon      Pilkington                      Hooper          Wolfswinkel

Team i think will be played:                                  RuddyWhittaker     Turner             Bassong      OlssonSnodgrass       Fer                 Johnson     Pilkington                                          Elmander                                 Hooper

I''d go with:

Ruddy

Whittaker    Turner   Bassong   Olsson

Snodgrass   Fer  Howson   Tettey    Pilkington

RVW

But I don''t expect to see that.

Despite Johnson and Snodgrass being two of my fav players, I agree with most that they need to be dropped not only for the team, but for their own form. They''ve both been pretty poor so far this season.

Would like to see a midfield three of Tettey, Fer and one of Howson/Hoolahan with Redmond/Pilks on the wings.

I got no problems with the back four, maybe Olsson over Garrido

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

[/quote]

Exactly !! Thank The Lord someone can see it too. Olsson is good going forward and, pre-season against the Greeks, he and Garrido worked very well together. Snodders needs to sit this one out, as does BJ, so I''d go with Tettey, Fer, Pilks and Olsson with Hooper behind RvW. Wes to come on for Hoops if needed.

My biggest fear is CH''s apparent love in with the ex Leeds boys. Snodders and BJ can do no wrong and Jonny H seems to come off the bench in any position Hughton requires.

Ruddy

Whittaker turner bass Olsson

Fer Tettey

Redmond ------------ Pilks

Hoolahan

RVW/Hooper

elmander in the hole hasn''t worked the greatest. He is a striker, no doubt about it, and with him playing behind the striker it appears as though we play 442, which leaves a nice big hole in the midfield. I think Hoolahan will be desperate to get back and give a good performance so I say we give him a chance. and I''ve been dying to see Fer + Tettey in CM this season, I''m hoping with johnson not at his best, saturday will be the time for that.

Shake Up

Ruddy

Martin Bennett Bassong Olsson

Tettey Fer

Snodgrass Hoolahan Pilkington

RVW

Bunn Turner Whittaker Johnson Redmond Elmander Hooper

How can people be saying Snodgrass is average?! He''s had a poor start to the season by his standards but he was easily our 2nd best and most consistent player last season.

It''s ridiculous to say we created more chances when Tettey came on, because we played a different system towards the end of the spurs game. So it''s not because Tettey played a decent ball or executed a great cross.

Tettey offers very little and in my opinion Bradders is a better distributor of the ball.