Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Is Durham right this time?

At the end of his column in today Mail on Line, he gives his thoughts on the tactics employed by Ch.

In this case I think he is spot on. What are your thoughts?

Link. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2423279/Ashley-Youngs-diving-following-Gareth-Bales-lead--Adrian-Durham-column.html

I think It''s rather simplistic too, a little too straightforward, black and white. But somewhere in there he''s got a point. We''ve bought forwards, now please use them...

He does have a point about Hughton I think, however he''s well wide of the mark about Redmond. The point about Redmond really doesn''t make any sense

Redmond has made a mistake moving to Norwich -- just because he''s been taken off 15 minutes before the end and was involved in a one-sided game?  Come on! He''s a regular strarter, and gets plenty of opportunities to polish his game, arguably more than he''d get at most other PL clubs. I believe Durham is also a bit harsh on Spurs'' second goal re: Ruddy. I doubt his response could have been any quicker, and the ball bounced right before his hands. In hindsight, he ought to have tried to punch it, but that would have been risky.

I was told yesterday that I can''t refer to last seasons away results because "it''s in the past", this guy is referencing a comment made in 1982!!! For the record I said back in 1982 "goo goo gah gah" which proves that my use of the English language is poor in 2013.

Durham is partly right and partly wrong. He''s right in the sense that our current away tactics are perhaps unlikely to allow Redmond to flourish because he often has to receive the ball in his own half and spends a lot of time defending which is not his best attribute.

On the other hand he is wrong to suggest we are not the right club for Nathan. He is at a good club where he will be well looked after, will be able to develop under less pressure than at a big club and most importantly will get to play and start regularly at the top level which can only be good for his game and long term development.

Jeez when are people going to realise we''re always going to set up quite defensively away from home. This suits me because I don''t like being embarrassed everytime we play a big club away. Spurs are MUCH better than us and are genuine title contenders. An upset may be on the cards sometimes but this is really quite rare.

I''m quite surprised CH even started Redmond in the first place.

Were we defensive and negative at home to Southampton? No. We outplayed them and Redmond shone.

Yeah, the over reactions are a bit daily mail, I understand where he is coming from, but i don''t think Redmond''s been too disappointed so far with his Norwich career!

The Ruddy mistake was reasonably bad, but his saves and general goalkeeping after 90 minutes under siege more than made up for that error. It''s not the right time to start drawing conclusions after 2 away games, but something has to give eventually, I''ve got a feeling the Stoke game takes a new level of importance after the two dismal showings so far away from home, another poor away day and people will continue to lay the pressure on.

I guess Redmond could have followed fellow U21 star Wilfried Zaha to a club like Man Utd.  Just how many games has Zaha played so far? None. He''s only even made the squad twice. Great Premier League experience he''s getting.As it is, I don''t think Redmond looks ready for a regular starting place for us.  He''s not the complete package yet. But will only learn how to both attack and defend for 90 minutes by playing games. His development does need to be managed though. As great as some of his attacking play undoubtedly is, his defensive work is frankly woeful.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]I guess Redmond could have followed fellow U21 star Wilfried Zaha to a club like Man Utd.  Just how many games has Zaha played so far? None. He''s only even made the squad twice. Great Premier League experience he''s getting.As it is, I don''t think Redmond looks ready for a regular starting place for us.  He''s not the complete package yet. But will only learn how to both attack and defend for 90 minutes by playing games. His development does need to be managed though. As great as some of his attacking play undoubtedly is, his defensive work is frankly woeful.[/quote]Started and Won the Community Shield. :o

I thought Redmond put in a pretty solid defensive stint on Saturday.  The issue is how much freedom to roam he is given.  At home games he will have more licence to stray around the pitch, which inevitably means leaving a gap.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="Pyro Pete"]I guess Redmond could have followed fellow U21 star Wilfried Zaha to a club like Man Utd.  Just how many games has Zaha played so far? None. He''s only even made the squad twice. Great Premier League experience he''s getting.As it is, I don''t think Redmond looks ready for a regular starting place for us.  He''s not the complete package yet. But will only learn how to both attack and defend for 90 minutes by playing games. His development does need to be managed though. As great as some of his attacking play undoubtedly is, his defensive work is frankly woeful.[/quote]Started and Won the Community Shield. :o[/quote]Well, if you want to count a pre-season non-Premier League game against a Championship club, then yes. Zaha played plenty of those last season as well!

If Redmond carries on how he has started and the World Cup turns out to be the car crash for England we all expect he could find himself in the England squad this time next if only due to the lack of competition. Not a bad move really.........

Unsurprisingly a Daily Mail journalist has an agenda first and distorted ''facts'' made to fit afterwardsFor the record i do not think Hughton is setting out to play defensive as some would know it. It''s just the tactics he employs makes it very difficult to attack. The defense has to be admired for it''s progress in passing the ball out of danger. Watch how many times defenders find a player with a very accurate and not always too obvious pass.Fine up to there but what follows is a where it falls down. More than not the ball is played forward, but then then follows very little support. How many times have you seen Snodgrass ''fall over'' and how many times is there not a single City player offering him a passing option. With luck he will get it back and there will follow a protracted series of fast passes that look good, will over excite the happy clappies but all too often achieve little else.The ''possession'' is one of the biggest myths in football. Unless you are in a winning position and are seeking to run down the clock it is usually more a case of the opposition have got you contained.Hughton appears to have given free rein to individual players, as with the frequent attacking runs of Redmond and Whittaker, but the watchword seems to be ''one or two at at time'' only. If we are not moving forward in numbers and as a whole we will always struggle to score or even create chances.The league goals so far have been a run by Whittaker, a miss hit by Whittaker and a superb header by RVW and another run this time by Redmond. Nothing in the way of build up play.Hughton needs to let the players get on with it a bit more once the game has started and trust in their instincts and ability - as what happened at home to Everton. For the right reasons but with the wrong results I suspect we are being over coached.

Blaming tactics is incorrect. We have four strikers at the club - Becchio, Hooper, Wolfy and Elmander. Hooper was coming back from injury.

Three were in the squad against Spurs. Two played. We could have had three or even four strikers on the pitch and it wouldn''t have made a difference.

If the lads can''t pass to each other it doesn''t matter what formation you are going to play it''s not going to work.

The only substitution I didn''t 100% agree with was Elmander coming off and Fer going to play in his position. Fer didn''t play that well. I would have taken him and Johnson off.

It''s a risk but at 2-0 down and with your midfield struggling it''s not like it could get a whole lot worse.

There may have been an argument then for Pilkington on for Elmander and put Redmond into the hole and get him to use his pace and energy to motor about in a free role looking for the ball constantly in an effort to get it going again - and when we do to really push the opposition with his pace and trickery.

--- chicken: There may have been an argument then for Pilkington on for Elmander and put Redmond into the hole and get him to use his pace and energy to motor about in a free role looking for the ball constantly in an effort to get it going again - and when we do to really push the opposition with his pace and trickery.

One of the many good examples of what could have been done at the weekend to try and change the game, rather than just giving up on 49 minutes.

City 1st wrote:

"More than not the ball is played forward, but then then follows very little support. "

Deary deary me!

Please post a translation when your feeling better!

[quote user="chicken"]Blaming tactics is incorrect. We have four strikers at the club - Becchio, Hooper, Wolfy and Elmander. Hooper was coming back from injury.

Three were in the squad against Spurs. Two played. We could have had three or even four strikers on the pitch and it wouldn''t have made a difference.

If the lads can''t pass to each other it doesn''t matter what formation you are going to play it''s not going to work.

The only substitution I didn''t 100% agree with was Elmander coming off and Fer going to play in his position. Fer didn''t play that well. I would have taken him and Johnson off.

It''s a risk but at 2-0 down and with your midfield struggling it''s not like it could get a whole lot worse.

There may have been an argument then for Pilkington on for Elmander and put Redmond into the hole and get him to use his pace and energy to motor about in a free role looking for the ball constantly in an effort to get it going again - and when we do to really push the opposition with his pace and trickery.[/quote]"Blaming tactics is incorrect."So what lie behind the substitutions ? Were they tactical, perhaps ?"If the lads can''t pass to each other..."Because the tactics of not moving up as a team might mean there is little option for those in possession of the ball, maybe""and put Redmond into the hole .......... etc "we have to presume that is not any part of tactics either

To claim the fault doesn''t lie with tactics is absurd, more so if you have watched Hughton on match days and his whole purpose for the game is to try and man manage City''s play, ball by ball.If we are failing when there is that much control, when it is Hughton deciding the playing style and formation then what is it if not the tactics ?

His views mean nothing whether anyone agrees with them or not because he doesn''t believe in anything he says it''s just to create some sort of reaction for the moment. He''s a berk with ill considered opinions, maybe he feels Redmond would be better off at Everton, not playing at all?