Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Olsson & Redmond

Quick post, what are peoples thoughts of these two starting on the left on Saturday and why Hughton hasnt employed it yet?

The one thing that stood out from pre season for me was the pace and link up and attacking play and just pure threat that these two posed on the left and i thought wow weve got a real bonus here in these two. Something that most other teams dont have, two lighting quick attacking players at full back and wing. A proper double act that will.

In pre season i got the feeling these two would give us such an advantage and our left side would over power whoever we played, purely down to their collective pace pegging back there opposite numbers.

The pace works two fold, it gives us a great attacking option and also holds back the opposing teams right wing threat.

Why then has Hughton not used it once this season? Correct me if im wrong but not once have these two started together nor found themselves together mid game.

Is it because its too attacking and perhaps not as defensive as CH would like?

With Garrido we have a player who played pretty much the entirety of last year in that position.He has begun to understand how to fully play the role in the Premier League and will have a decent understanding of the players he will come up againstIf we put Olsson and Redmond on the left (two players who haven''t been playing recent Premier League football in the past year) I would imagine Hughton feels it would leave us very vulnerable.

Because we''ve played 4 games, yes 4 games not 12, and to be honest at the minute we need a more defensive leftback behind Redmond as he can''t really defend that well and we''d have been destroyed down the left.

I think its because they''re both attacking minded. It needs to be more balanced than that! Especially with Gabby/Wiemann for company

I would actually play Olsson this Saturday because i think we do need his extra pace at the back to counteract their main threat which is pace on the counter attack.

I would be tempted to play Pilks in front of him and possibly switch Redmond to the right with Snoddy coming off the bench this week. Alternatively I quite like the thought of Redmond in the Elmander role alongside both Pilks and Snoddy.

olsson HAS too start. garrido is awful. i would go with pilks on left as redmonds a but raw and isnt brilliant at the defensive side and villa have agbonlahor doen the right andhe always rips us to pieces so i would go olsson and pilks.

Jim Smith wrote the following post at 18/09/2013 12:12 PM:

I would actually play Olsson this Saturday because i think we do need his extra pace at the back to counteract their main threat which is pace on the counter attack.

I would be tempted to play Pilks in front of him and possibly switch Redmond to the right with Snoddy coming off the bench this week. Alternatively I quite like the thought of Redmond in the Elmander role alongside both Pilks and Snoddy.

Agreed on both points Jim, after what Agbonlahor did to us last season the more pace we can get into the team the better.

Olsson missed most of preseason with injury, so perhaps is being brought in gradually, rather than risking further problems.

possibly but normally redmond, snodgrass, pilks and bennett are all ahead of olsson in the wide mid role, far better going forward and pilks in particular solid defensively.

so my preference is for pilks and redmond or that spot this weekend - ahead of Garrido