Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

What are the best games you have ever seen?

[quote user="im spartacus"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Although I go back to 1963 it just has to be 1-5 at Scum headquarters closely followed by the Milk Cup semi second leg. I am surprised nobody has mentioned the final win against Sunderland if only for the historical aspect of our first ever win at Wembley.[/quote]

i think thats cos as a match it was fairly abysmal if you watched it through anything other than yellow tinted glasses [:D]
[/quote]

As a City fan what glasses other than yellow tinted ones are you supposed to watch a humiliation of the Scum on their own ground through Spartacus ? [ip]

i was actually referring to the wembley final til that was an appalling game and this thread is about best games you have ever seen... you had to be there for the scum game as the best us armchair away fans could manage was radio snorfolk and some bloke filming sky sports news on his vga camera phone and posting it on youtube [:D]

Has to be the 4 all with ''Boro for me, and my hero Mr Drury getting the final goal, never has a draw felt so much like a victory.

mine would be one of my first games, the league cup semi final 2nd leg at home to Man u in 1974/75 . Colin Suggett headed the winner and I can remember how immense the atmosphere was

The 3-3 draw with Arsenal at the Emirates in our first year back in the Prem was one of the most entertaining games I''ve seen, chances galore, end to end stuff

Bayern at Carrow Road.

Birminham away in 1996 - a 3-2 win with a Neil Adams penalty proving decisive. Only memorable as I was the mascot (those were the days when there was only one mascot per game).

Derby at home in the last promotion season was pretty spectacular.

With city the wins of the milk cup final, and semi of course hold a special place but its two defeats that I cherish, losing to inter and the imperious invincible arsenal at home.

on a world stage Manure being white washed by a romario/stoichkov inspired barca and the milan team winning the european cup final were two of the best games I have ever seen - inspired forward play in both game, with the latter having the best defender I have ever seen in Franco Baresi.

Internationals? Easily the 90 world cup QF and SF games, national fervour, never to be repeated pubs atomspheres in the city, genuine world class players wanting to where the three lions and a sense of inevitable injustice against the blooming germans again.

Life time? Ipswich in that Milk cup semi-final as a fan. That was the final after being at the 1st leg.

B Munich away (on satellite) back then probably the best we''ve played to the occasion - more so with Ally McNally insisting in the build up we''d be thumped

Other games? Era of Brazil with Zico, Socrates & Rivelino playing - not so high paced as today but they could play

When Luton beat Arsenal in the 1988 League Cup Final. Dibble was fantastic for Luton. Arsenal should have won by 5. I remember Dibble stopped a penalty late when Arsenal were leading 2-1. Luton scored 2 late goals and snatched victory. The last 20 minutes were fantastic back and forth football. If I recall correctly Dibble wasn''t even Luton''s number one keeper. I taped it for some reason and still play that game once in a while and I am always amazed at Dibble''s performance. 

Milk Cup Final, and winning 2-0 at Anfield in 1983.

Games that had special meaning because of the venues I guess (an ''I was there'', story)

3-5 vs Liverpool

Milk Cup semi 2nd Leg

Derby 3-2 promotion year, because of what it meant

4-0 away win at Birmingham in 83 also. Ripped them apart. Away performances and wins like that, were rare in those days (*ahem*)

2-0 vs Man Utd in the last Prem stint.

[quote user="peateabee"]I remember norwich 4 middlesborough 4 very well. Crowd went berserk when we equalised, still can''t believe we got something from that game.[/quote]

I was watching that game via Soccer Saturday. On 81 minutes as I passed through the door, I heard that we had scored. I thought, ooh, I''ll do that again! So I did, and we scored again. I couldnt believe it. Surely not. So I went and listened to the final minutes at 4-3 from my kitchen, and in went number 4!  Butterflies and Hurricaines and all that - I take personal credit for that result!!!   :D

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

[quote user="peateabee"]I remember norwich 4 middlesborough 4 very well. Crowd went berserk when we equalised, still can''t believe we got something from that game.[/quote]

I was watching that game via Soccer Saturday. On 81 minutes as I passed through the door, I heard that we had scored. I thought, ooh, I''ll do that again! So I did, and we scored again. I couldnt believe it. Surely not. So I went and listened to the final minutes at 4-3 from my kitchen, and in went number 4!  Butterflies and Hurricaines and all that - I take personal credit for that result!!!   :D

[/quote]

Sorry, should have read, the door between the kitchen and the living room. 3 times I did it, 3 times we scored. The magic door never worked after that though unfortunately. I tried it all through the following game!

One of my favourites is Leicester 1 Norwich 4. This game was in 81/82 season when we made a late promotion surge. Must win game and we did that with some style.

January 10th/1959 will always stand out for me. Bitterly cold with ice-leaden feet on the terraces and a snow covered pitch. We were languishing in 18th place in the old Third Division South after the Christmas break. Manchester United were three points out of first place in the chase to be champions of England. We didn''t just beat them, as we all know, we did it in style 3-0. We didn''t know it then ( our glory was just beginning ) but a lot of us at the time said, if we can beat them, we can beat anyone. We had a heartbreaking end to that wonderful cup run but that magical group of players ( along with the fans ) carried the form through to the end of the season, winning 15, drawing 5 and only losing 2 to shoot up the division into fourth place. The following season we carried on in the same form and, along with Southampton, were promoted comfortably.

To this day I still believe that cup run was the engine that drove Norwich City to a higher level as a football club.