Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

What are the best games you have ever seen?

Following on from the ''Is football entertainment'' debate, it got me thinking about the best games Id ever seen.

What are the games that stick in your memory?

One of the best games I ever saw was the play off final between Sunderland and Charlton. 4-4. A total rollercoaster.

What games stick in the mind for you as total classics? Norwich games or non-Norwich. England v Argentina in France 98 and England v Germany Euro 96 were also great games (even though we lost!)

Best Norwich game for me was Norwich 3 Liverpool 5 when they were at the top of the European tree. I think Kevin Reeves put us ahead then it was a true battle until super sub David Fairclough won it late for Liverpool. Also it was the game when Fashanu scored "that goal". For raw emotion the other one has to be the home win against Munich with the team and Mike Walker on the pitch. Best non Norwich game probably another Liverpool one when they came from 3-0 down to win the Champions League final against AC Milan I believe.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Following on from the ''Is football entertainment'' debate, it got me thinking about the best games Id ever seen.

One of the best games I ever saw was the play off final between Sunderland and Charlton. 4-4. A total rollercoaster.

What games stick in the mind for you as total classics? Norwich games or non-Norwich. England v Argentina in France 98 and England v Germany Euro 96 were also great games (even though we lost!)[/quote]

Norwich 1 Derby County 4 in the 1968-69 season. A quite good Norwich team given the complete run-around by Clough and Taylor''s team on its way to winning the second division by seven points (with only two for a win). Dave Mackay, Kevin Hector (whom we had tried to sign), John MacGovern, John O''Hare, Roy Macfarland, Alan Hinton

Germany 1 England 5Bayern Munich 1 Norwich City 2Norwich City 4 Ipswich Town 1Norwich City 6 Bury 3 (believe it or not this was about as entertaining game of football as you''re likely to see.)

I''m a big fan of the recent Swansea vs Norwich games in the Pren.Always exciting, always lots of goals. 2 Decent sets of fans and we always play well against themNorwich 4 Swansea 3... for me was my favourite game last seasonI remember the last 20 or so minutes of that game and being an absolute bag of emotion.Great greatg game that one

Being a boy growing up in the 90''s the 2-1 Chelsea home game was amazing, night games had that magic, just like the villa game that season, polstons wonder goal.

There are so many, the atmosphere of those evening games was something very special. Growing up under stringers tenure and walkers was something special, I will not take that for granted.

Following that it was rare moments, rare moments that you treasure, there is no question HUckerby came in and brought great games to carrow road. Lamberts era too but it is those seasons 92-94 that were the best years for entertainment for me. I do not expect entertainment all the time, as it has been a lean 20 years. But it is the game of football that has lost my interest, it is not NCFC. I do not expect entertainment from football I am too emotionally attached to be looking for entertainment. Entertainment can be the theatre, events, gigs etc it is not Ncfc. I can watch a lower league game and be entertained, I can watch each round of tennis grand slams, golf grand slams and enjoy.

Ncfc is more than an avenue for entertainment, if any if you have seen ripping yarns by Michael plain there is a great episode of a football fan who breaks up the house after a loss. It is cathartic for me, it is an avenue to let off steam, I hope it is positively but of course it can be negative.

The last few minutes after Steve Bruce scored the winner in the Milk Cup semi-final against Ipswich in 1985 was probably as good as it can possibly get for a Norwich fan.

At the time the Norwich 3 Liverpool 5 seemed special - in the days before segregation there were stacks of scousers in the River End and even they were jumping and cheering when Fashanu scored the goal to make it 3-3 but a few years ago it was repeated on TV in a series of great football matches and without the goals it all looked pretty basic considering they were the best in Europe.

I guess, like with music, the games you pick is all about timing and where you are in life at a particular time.

(I also enjoyed the Arsenal 4 Norwich 3 game Nick Hornby describes in Fever Pitch if only for the 23 player scrap and the sight of Gunn holding O''Leary by the throat)

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]I''m a big fan of the recent Swansea vs Norwich games in the Pren.Always exciting, always lots of goals. 2 Decent sets of fans and we always play well against themNorwich 4 Swansea 3... for me was my favourite game last seasonI remember the last 20 or so minutes of that game and being an absolute bag of emotion.Great greatg game that one[/quote]An away game in which Hughton was in charge? Entertaining? You disgust me....

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"][quote user="ReadingCanary"]I''m a big fan of the recent Swansea vs Norwich games in the Pren.Always exciting, always lots of goals. 2 Decent sets of fans and we always play well against themNorwich 4 Swansea 3... for me was my favourite game last seasonI remember the last 20 or so minutes of that game and being an absolute bag of emotion.Great greatg game that one[/quote]An away game in which Hughton was in charge? Entertaining? You disgust me....[/quote][:D]

[quote user="The Frisbee Hyena"][quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"][quote user="ReadingCanary"]I''m a big fan of the recent Swansea vs Norwich games in the Pren.Always exciting, always lots of goals. 2 Decent sets of fans and we always play well against themNorwich 4 Swansea 3... for me was my favourite game last seasonI remember the last 20 or so minutes of that game and being an absolute bag of emotion.Great greatg game that one[/quote]An away game in which Hughton was in charge? Entertaining? You disgust me....[/quote][:D][/quote]Haha it was easily balanced out by Reading away. Terrrrible game.

I remember norwich 4 middlesborough 4 very well. Crowd went berserk when we equalised, still can''t believe we got something from that game.

Manchester Utd 1-2 City in the FA Cup in 1967, the season United last won the Championship before their 25 year hiatus. Best, Law and Charlton were  in their pomp and no one gave us a chance as we were a lowly second division team managed by the hapless Lol Morgan. Don heath put us ahead and Dennis Law equalised before Gordan Bolland took advantage of a woeful back pass to walk the ball in the net in the second half.  

Arsenal 0-3 City in the league cup when we first made it to Wembley. Big Dunc had to go off with a collapsed lung and in the second half  the Gooners tried to kick us off the park. Graham Paddon scored a hat-trick if memory serves me right.

Chelsea 0-2 City (not absolutely sure of the score, it might have been 1-2) in the first leg of the LC semi-final the same season. As a student in Chelsea at the time it was a good feeling the next morning down the Kings Road. The return leg was also memorable for being abandoned just before the end of the game due to fog with City winning. Ron Saunders called for the game to be awarded to us.

The Milk Cup semi second leg against the scum is on the list of course as are the two derby wins over them a few years ago. Over the years there have been so many highs and lows watching our beloved Canaries.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Following on from the ''Is football entertainment'' debate, it got me thinking about the best games Id ever seen.

What games stick in the mind for you as total classics? Norwich games or non-Norwich. England v Argentina in France 98 and England v Germany Euro 96 were also great games (even though we lost!)[/quote]

Norwich 1 Derby County 4 in the 1968-69 season. A quite good Norwich team given the complete run-around by Clough and Taylor''s team on its way to winning the second division by seven points (with only two for a win). Dave Mackay, Kevin Hector (whom we had tried to sign), John MacGovern, John O''Hare, Roy Macfarland, Alan Hinton

[/quote]

I remember that game. It was the first evening match I ever went to. I remember the Norwich players made a guard of honour and applauded Clough''s team onto the pitch. I remember the game before it on Easter Monday against Huddersfield where we were so short of strikers after Curran and Manning had left that Terry Alcock was put up front. It was the one and only time I saw him play centre forward and we won 1-0 with the legend scoring the goal. We finished that season with 3 home games and won the 2 after Derby. I seem to remember crowds of less than 10,000 on a regular basis. The football''s much worse under Hughton though...

I remember some of the good doctor''s games too. Was at Highbury the night of Paddon''s hat-trick. (not studying for my professorship at the time). But for me the best game I ever saw was Easter 2011 at the portaloo when we won 5-1. That made up for every disappointment I''d ever had from following our beloved club. It was awesome and I doubt I will experience anything quite like it again.

[quote user="nutty professor nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

I remember that game. It was the first evening match I ever went to. I remember the Norwich players made a guard of honour and applauded Clough''s team onto the pitch. I remember the game before it on Easter Monday against Huddersfield where we were so short of strikers after Curran and Manning had left that Terry Alcock was put up front. It was the one and only time I saw him play centre forward and we won 1-0 with the legend scoring the goal. We finished that season with 3 home games and won the 2 after Derby. I seem to remember crowds of less than 10,000 on a regular basis. The football''s much worse under Hughton though...

I remember some of the good doctor''s games too. Was at Highbury the night of Paddon''s hat-trick. (not studying for my professorship at the time). But for me the best game I ever saw was Easter 2011 at the portaloo when we won 5-1. That made up for every disappointment I''d ever had from following our beloved club. It was awesome and I doubt I will experience anything quite like it again.

[/quote]

I meant it was the one and only time I saw Allcock score as a centre forward[:$]

1993 fa cup final arsenal 2 sheff wed 1. former canary andi linighan''s extra time goal which put Norwich into the uefa cupthat arsenal/newcastle 4-4 a few seasons ago was an excellent matchmost of the man utd/newcastle games around 2000 - 2003 were pretty specialengland vs germany euro 96. amazing game despite the result. a time when england played attacking football and looked equal to everyoneand of course our win against bayern, which given the comparative status of the clubs was about as epic as it gets

millwall 2-3 norwich from 1989 was on itv live on a sunday afternoon... we went 2-0 up and millwall backed by the most partisan crowd i''ve ever heard got it back to 2-2 and pummelled us jimmy carter was on fire , then fleck lobbed the late winner and broke there hearts  superb....

We went 2-0 up quite early and they they came back into it and then that late winner from Flecky.

The ground looked such a dump with a strange structure in the corner of the ground topped with barbed wire.

It seemed a very intimidating place even on the telly.

I remember being home on leave from Germany and everyone telling me I was mad going to Millwall as it was on tv- however remember going mental in the corner when fleck volleyed the winner at the death.. I also recall being pissed off with saint and greavsie who gave a millwall player MOM as Gunn was outstanding that game...

However my fave Norwich match has to be Ipswich away 5-1, I actually thought my heart was gonna burst out of my chest when for the fifth time I had my lad on my shoulders and the players came towards us to celebrate!!! Those moments can''t get any better!!

[quote user="im spartacus"][quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Yeah, that was amazing Sunday afternoon drama![/quote]

sometimes i think i imagined it cos i seem to be the only one i know who remembers it [:D]
[/quote]

I remember it well Spartacus as I was on duty with another police officer from Norwich that afternoon. a City win and paid to watch it so a win win. [:D]

Although I go back to 1963 it just has to be 1-5 at Scum headquarters closely followed by the Milk Cup semi second leg. I am surprised nobody has mentioned the final win against Sunderland if only for the historical aspect of our first ever win at Wembley.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Although I go back to 1963 it just has to be 1-5 at Scum headquarters closely followed by the Milk Cup semi second leg. I am surprised nobody has mentioned the final win against Sunderland if only for the historical aspect of our first ever win at Wembley.[/quote]i think thats cos as a match it was fairly abysmal if you watched it through anything other than yellow tinted glasses [:D]

I''m surprised no one has mentioned the 3-2 win against Derby in our Championship season. Good match that ended with most thrilling denouement.

Also, 3-2 against QPR in 1976. Best game I''ve seen at Carrow Road.

Oct 96 Norwich 3-1 Ipswich.

The first time my mum and dad let me go to a night match with my mates. Bunked off school early to soak up the atmosphere in the city. The landlord of our local let me and my mate have a pint with his uncle after the game (we were only 15) we thought it was the best day ever!

Best non Norwich match: Spain''s World Cup win. Not in a footballing sense as the game was dire but started backing Spain after there euro win 2 years earlier, aswell as various other bets including David villa as top scorer ( although he tied) and a holland/Spain final. One of those rare occasions when every bet seamed to come off.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="im spartacus"][quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Yeah, that was amazing Sunday afternoon drama![/quote]sometimes i think i imagined it cos i seem to be the only one i know who remembers it [:D][/quote]

I remember it well Spartacus as I was on duty with another police officer from Norwich that afternoon. a City win and paid to watch it so a win win. [:D]

[/quote]i can''t think of any scenario that crowd control at an 80s cold blow lane could be described as a win win  [:D]