Sign in to follow this  
Sir Budgie Paddon

Bostik, cushions and Ram Raiders.......they were the days!

Sooooo bored of international breaks. I want England to do well and qualify but....oh it just gets in the way doesnt it? Stop, start, stop, start. Just feels like you''re tredding water until the PremierSHIP comes along again to rescue you (see what I did there? Quality)

So, was just reminiscing with a few fellow old timers the other days about all our yesterdays and wondered if anyone else remembers these things or can add anymore.

!970''s: Opposition player goes down injured and the Barclay immediately respond with......''bring on the Bostik''.. clap,clap.....clap,clap....clap.  Always made me smile (I was only 6). More recently we got ''dig a hole and f****** bury him'' . Bit harsh.

Again, 70''s. When we had a really big game I remember getting really excited when they opened the middle pen of the Barclay (I always stood with my Dad in the River End and watched it all unfold) for Norwich fans. So proud that we''d come out in numbers to cheer the boys on. Although I do remember Arsenal fans on one occasion dismatling one of the yellow crash barriers in their pen and about 8 of them using it to try ram the fence down to get at the Norwich fans.....they didnt manage it.....Police just watched them doing it......mad. 

Remember always being told by my older mates at the time (they were probably 13 or 14, I was about 9/10) about a guy called Bernie Patterson who was the ''leader of the Barclay''. Always wondered how he aquired that title and what his Match day duties were.....I think I can guess. Never actually met the guy. Did he exist? Where is he now?

Cushions on the pitch anyone?. That was brilliant. For the youger element who havent heard about this. The old Main Stand (City Stand now) was a wooden affair that didnt actually have any seats. It had wooden benches and green cushions were provided by the Club (I think) for the patrons to sit on. Now, when things on the pitch got particularly heated durinng the game, the inhabitants of the stand would rise and hurl their cushions toward the pitch, maily aiming for the referee. This resulted in the first 4 or 5 yards inside the touchline being covered in cushions. The game would then be delayed while they were cleared and we got on with the game. I found that absolutley hilarious as a 7 or 8 year old.   

Funny isnt it, how things stick in your mind from when you were young. Anyone got any more?

Well, roll on Saturday and hopefully we can give the usual good account of ouselves at White Hart Lane which might bring a point or 3

Bring on the bostick was far wittier than the ''dig a hole'' chant.

I used to pay Pool in the same team as Bernie; we were one of the few teams not to be abused playing away to the Larkman.!

As far as I know Bernie lives in Thorpe, he married one of my mate''s sister.

The cushions weren''t much softer than the benches and I reckon if the ref ever got one of the sharp corners in his eye he''d have lost his sight!

Anyone else remember the whisky aroma that drifted out from the bars on a cold day. The counter used to be full of steaming hot toddys ready for the old boys at half-time. Always used that stand for reserve games where we used to listen out for the score from wherever the first team were playing. Same announcer everytime "After fifteen minutes play at Fratton Park the score is Portsmouth 0 The City 1...."

Oh.. and the Bostik chant was quality. I reckon it came about because everyone''s Subbuteo team had at least one player hampered by a blob of Bostik after a previous accident[:)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The cushions weren''t much softer than the benches and I reckon if the ref ever got one of the sharp corners in his eye he''d have lost his sight!

Anyone else remember the whisky aroma that drifted out from the bars on a cold day. The counter used to be full of steaming hot toddys ready for the old boys at half-time. Always used that stand for reserve games where we used to listen out for the score from wherever the first team were playing. Same announcer everytime "After fifteen minutes play at Fratton Park the score is Portsmouth 0 The City 1...."

[/quote]You''ve jogged some memories there Nigel. His first comment was always "And the first news comes in from (wherever)", before giving the score. I remember back in the mists of time I went to a reserve match with my cousin and it kicked off 15 minutes before the first teams away game at Shrewsbury. We were 4-2 down after 75 minutes and had to hang on after the reserve game had ended to get the final score from Gay Meadow. When the full time score came through we were surprised to find we had won 5-4. It was a happy walk back up King St.

[quote user="PKC"]

I used to pay Pool in the same team as Bernie; we were one of the few teams not to be abused playing away to the Larkman.!

[/quote]

His surname was Patzelt not Patterson as stated by the OP wasn''t it PKC ?

I heard Bernie was working at Asda on the Drayton RdHis matchday duties included climbing up onto the ''rafters'' of the Barclay, starting surges and liasoning with dear old'' handlebars''.

Remember being able to walk round to the bit between the Barclay and the South Stand and sit on the terrace and watch the game. Sat there and watched us lose 0-3 to Hull in the FA Cup. Could get served in the bar behind the Barclay when I was 15 ... I looked about 12. Brown and mild and the lad behind the bar alway tipped the bloody bottle upside down in the mild si it went everywhere. Use to walk up the steps of the Barclay and sit on the grass until the teams came out. Bar never seemed taht busy. I suppose most drank in town before wandering downBogs out the back always had that funny tar/pitch smell and usually had something like Pompey Rule OK sprayed on the walls. No roof either, whatever the purpose of your visit. Memories seem to be of it not being that busy in the early 70''s bar some notable games. Use to wait down by the ''shop'' at the bottom of St Stephen''s Bus station and try to be the first to get a Pinkun. They got there about 5.25.Remember the gates being opened about 20 mins before the end and various cheapskates would sidle in to see the last bit. Night matches coming back past Reads flour factory and blokes outside asking how the game went. Looking over to the South Stand and seeing constant flashes where people lit up fags. Every bloke in the South Stand looked about 50 and wore a long mac type coat, Got a whiff of some tobacco a while back and it took me right back to the Barclay where someone nearby smoked that particular brandDefinitely the wit and spontanity has gone out of the game as far as the ''terraces'' go. Would not have missed those days for the world. Virtually no hype, no grief about getting in (bar queing) no grief about what you did (within reason) and it didn''t seem to cost that much either. Still have my bar scarf I bought in the early 70''s. Wore it tied to my wrist, knotted round my neck and hung from my belt down the side of my leg. Had it hidden at numerous away games and had it grabbed from me (unsuccessfully) by a Leicester fan near Anglia TV station. But if I do miss anything it was the singing. "Aloutte", "the magic music man", "dambusters" with your arms out and even the Barclay in full growl belting out " I was born under a Barclay Stand.......................... boots were made for kickin'', guns were made to shoot, if you come down to the Barclay Stand we''ll all stick in the boot "all pretty much tongue in cheek, working class herberts with a few beers in them having a laugh on a Saturday afternoon, that''s allbut happy days all the same

The little blue invalid cars making their entrance.

Policemen covered in gob. Yuk!

Getting there about 3 hours before the game started. (Or so it seemed).

Girls screaming if opposition got close to scoring (always found that a bit disconcerting).

Ah, those formative years Ricardo (walking up King Street that is!)

Til, in your working years, did you ''work'' at the football, and did you ever encounter our Bernie?

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Ah, those formative years Ricardo (walking up King Street that is!)

Til, in your working years, did you ''work'' at the football, and did you ever encounter our Bernie?[/quote]Yes CC, happy memories of King St in the old days. It was such a busy place in those days what with Reads Flour Mill, The Breweries, Youngs Crawshay and Youngs, Bullards etc. There must have been at least half a dozen pubs all doing a roaring trade on a Saturday lunch time. In my mind I can still smell the beer and smoke wafting out of the Ferryboat Inn as you walked past.City 1st jogged a memory when he mentioned fags being lit during a night match. There must have been thousands of fags smoked judging by the amount of flashes you could see. It was a different world and a different game back then. I can''t explain it but if you are old enough to have experienced it you will know what I mean.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Ah, those formative years Ricardo (walking up King Street that is!) Til, in your working years, did you ''work'' at the football, and did you ever encounter our Bernie?[/quote]

Indeed I did from 1970 right up until 1993. I was the first ''spotter'' from 1985 until I retired in 1993.I was on duty at the Man Utd game back in 1977 when they caused major problems. Many,many stories I could tell crabby.As I said earlier when somebody referred to Bernie as Patterson,his name was Patzelt.

[quote user="City1st"]I heard Bernie was working at Asda on the Drayton Rd

I suppose most drank in town before wandering down.

[/quote]

Unless the chap in Asda you are talking about is at least 20 years older than he looks it is not Bernie and tut tut City1st since when has our fine city been a town ???

Blimey what a host of memories this has dragged up!!! Getting into the ground at about 1.40 just to soak up the build up to the game and make sure of my standing spot three quarters of the way up the centre of the Barclay (just behind good old Lil Kemp and her girls). The old Match of the Week cameras being located on a rickety construction at the River End - particularly remember one awful game (possibly against Bristol City when the crowd was not much more than 10K) when the Barclay decided to re-locate for the second half under the camera position in the River End so that we could sing loads of abusive songs which Anglia TV would have been unable to censor from their highlights....''and do they smell......''

Although clearly remember Bernie, as far as I was concerned he was no more than a lad compared to some of the characters in the late 60''s (e.g. Levi, Sweeney Todd, Mel Ingram & Mick Eley - later met Mel again when he was working at the old N & N Hospital - really nice bloke).  Remember him trying to induce us to chase Sheff United fans all the way up to the Castle after a match.

Sitting on the grass bank at the back of the Barclay at half-time; turning up at the Chelsea League Cup Semi-Final match (the fog abandoned one) only to find about 100 Chelsea fans in the middle of the Barclay (no segregation or fences then!!); the old programme/scarf/souvenir hut at the back of the Barclay; the open roof urinals; the bar which didn''t seem to have an age restriction; PC ''Handlebars''!!!  I can also remember what it cost for me to travel by bus to and from the station from Hellesdon, get a programme and get into the ground......5/11d - less than 30p!

Thanks all for some of these memories, certainly helped me remember those days too and I agree Ricardo, it really was a very different world and game back then.  As a lad I attended most home games, sometimes on the terrace, mainly at the River End and was also fortunate enough to go on somebody''s season ticket in the old Main Stand and can certainly remember the cushions, one of the old boys I went with often used to throw his onto the pitch!

I have very fond memories of my early years supporting our great club, but also some memories of some very unpleasant stuff when "football hooliganism" was at its peak, some evil nasty stuff that is best forgotten definately, those involved should hold their heads in shame as they almost ruined the great game forever, almost.

I am also one of those (the few?) who actually never enjoyed the terrace standing situation, despite having stood for many years, once I could afford it, I couldnt wait to get a seating season ticket. Including for a few seasons had a seat in the City Stand, from the first year it was completed, and can clearly remember the biscuits being wiped out most matches by the time I had made my way down to the bar....it became a standing joke.....do you still get tea & biscuits as part of the season ticket in that part of the ground?  

When I first went it was half-a-crown in the Barclay but only two bob in the Riverend. Programmes were sixpence but can''t remember the bus fare. Remember all City1sts songs in the Barclay and of course Knees Up Muvva Brown kept us warm so we didn''t need the hot toddies that those old boys in the Mainstand had. Stood quite close to Lord Horn in the early 70s. Used to be behind a barrier very close to Lil throughout that wonderful 71/72 season. Lil''s usually in the Nelson after the games these days. It''s great to see her there and she always seems to be at every away game I go to. Used to get Mascot coaches from Bell Avenue for away games Lil used to be on them too. The Pink Un was a must have on Saturday evenings but also the Evening News through the week. Used to grab it as soon as it dropped through the door and go straight to the back page to see if we''d signed anyone. Information is accessible instantly now but in those days the local paper was our only source.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="PKC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Indeed it was TIL.

One of my favourite chants from those days was the one that greeted the stewards in those days, who wore long white coats, of bring on the butchers.

LIke NN I well remember Mascot Coach trips to away games - even a trip to Leicester in those days seemed an epic adventure as there were no dual carriageways and no bypasses round Dereham and Swaffham.  Used to regularly stop in Swaffham for chips or a beer on the way home.  My first ever away trip was to leicester in 1969 and all I can remember about that (apart from us losing 3-0) was being ambushed outside the ground by Leicester Skinheads.  They even nicked my mate Paul''s scarf and he ended up having to go to court in Leicester when they apprehended the culprit.

Back to Carrow Road, as a kid I always thought that the walk from the station along Riverside Road seemed interminable when I couldn''t wait to get to the ground.  Also remember long queues for cup tickets for the Blackburn Rovers game in ''66 and the Sheff Wednesday game after we''d beaten Man U at Old Trafford.  Always stood in the Barclay apart from about 4 games from 1964-1980.  Only ever sat twice in the old Main Stand, once for our very first game ever in the top flight against Everton and once when I took a young lady to a Man Utd game (not the infamous one in ''77 when I was in the Barclay - such fun!).

[quote user="PKC"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="PKC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Indeed it was TIL.

One of my favourite chants from those days was the one that greeted the stewards in those days, who wore long white coats, of bring on the butchers.

[/quote]

Oh yes, the good old butchers'' coats.  And do you remember the Tottenhan fans at the League Cup Final in ''73 who were dressed up like Clockwork Orange characters?

Fantastic stuff!

Remember a lot of what has been said, but on others, I am still a pup.

Completely forgot about the ''and do they smell'' song, that was a lol moment!

Go on Til, spill the beans on one or two stories ;)

Does anybody remember the old guy in a smock who used to come round with the muffin the mule puppet dressed in yellow and green? I think it must have been late 50''s or early 60''s.Then there were another couple of guys who dressed up in green and yellow suits who used to parade round and were often pi$$ed as rats.

yep was playing chess in Wensum Lodge and was seeing all the fans going past, quickest game I had played for somewhile - huge bloody queues to get into the ground.Worst was I had to wear my bloody school uniform. Thankfully I had brought a change of shirt and jacket (Harrington I think) and I gave the school stuff to some lad to take back and give to me on monday at school. couldn''t find him Monday morning (different year) so skipped assembly till I could find him ... it got worseback to footballit too ages to get towards the middle of the Barclay - some steward was trying to shove every down the steps, the rest is a blurdid go to Brim the folling week or so where we were stuffed 4-0, it snowed all the time and my bloody feet were frozen, we were on the side of the pitch I think and a chap called Bone played for us, name always stuck outdon''t knock Mascot coaches for going through Dereham as I caught the bus from their quite often, funny thing is I can''t remember how I got the coach ticketsodd thing is I must have been a few yards away from his lordship Horn - odd how you always used to stand in the same place (when it wasn''t to busyanyone remember the Football League magazine you use to get in the programmes ?away at a wet Charlton that Easter with all the bus windows smashed, bloody freezin back to Norwich, then trying to hitch hone at god knows what time sat night/sun mornthe Chelsea fog game was surreal, as said loads of Chelsea in the Barclay, didn''t know who was who, fights all over the place. some big ginger hippy looking bar stard with a grey coat just smacked someone right in front of me and my mate, some other bloke was knocked to the ground shouting you Norwich *****, followed by numerous attempts to help him up ........... via footwear, the lights used to go out during the game so it was really quite an scary atmosphere that night, it just seemed a mad crush with bodies swaying all over the place and tumbling downodd thing is nobody seemed to get really hurt and it was a bit like going on the waltzers and complaining - all that stuff added to the night, no one made you be there, though what it must have looked like to those in the main stand I don''t know .... I think the Bishop of Norwich brought Prince Andrew to the following replay, should have brought him into the Barclaymad funny days

[quote user="yellow 63"]Anyone got any tales from the Millwall home game 1972 ?[/quote]Yep, Ricky had a weeks winter holiday prior to the game and Mrs Ricardo carted me off to Jersey for a week. All very nice and flight back to Norwich Saturday morning to land well in time for the match.Saturday morning comes, Ricky sits twiddling thumbs in Jersey airport due to flight delay. Eventually we take off about lunch time but diverted to Stanstead because of  fog. Long journey back to Norwich via various drop off points wirh Mrs Ricardo vainly attempting to engage me in conversation during a prolonged sulk. Arrived back in Norwich just in time to get a Pinkun.For many years after this I was able to avoid going anywhere that might clash with missing a game.

On reflection I think this was probably not 1972 because as I remember it Rosario scored for City so it must have been more like the 1980''s. Can''t remember the exact year though.Memory playing tricks again[:D]

I used to go in the old River End in the late 60s and early 70s - mum didn''t let me go into the Barclay until I was a teenager.

Does anyone remember a bald bloke that always used to wear a black suit and bowler hat. Every time one our full backs at the time - Clive Payne - did anything remotely good, he used to shout out:

"Good old Ted, not bad for £10."

Don''t know why he called him Ted nor about the £10 he referred to.

Spud City First?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Ah, those formative years Ricardo (walking up King Street that is!) Til, in your working years, did you ''work'' at the football, and did you ever encounter our Bernie?[/quote]

Indeed I did from 1970 right up until 1993. I was the first ''spotter'' from 1985 until I retired in 1993.I was on duty at the Man Utd game back in 1977 when they caused major problems. Many,many stories I could tell crabby.As I said earlier when somebody referred to Bernie as Patterson,his name was Patzelt.

[/quote]

TIL, You said you were on duty for this game, are many of the stories i heard at school true, i.e, cars outside the ground being turned over, few mates were at that game, they say it was one of the worst football voilence seen at Carrow Road, we all know and seen the Manc fan falling through the Barclay roof, but one story they say is that a group of Norwich fans including Bernie, had set about a group of Manc Fans near Prince of Wales pub!! and sent them packing even when they re-grouped with more Mancs!!

The cushions were supplied by the NC football supporters association and could be hired for a few (old) pence each game. They had to be removed finally because of the frequency with which they would make their way to the pitch and the FA were making noises about taking action if this continued.

I recall a match against the scum at the Portaloo one winter when one of the goalmouths was an ice rink. City defended it the first half and were 2 down at half time. On came the groundsman with a bucket of rock salt to try and treat it before the binners had to defend it. This old boy in trench coat, flat cap and muffler climbs onto the pitch and kicked the bucket over. Talk about passionate support!  

My old boss always used to call him "Farmer Ted" - I never asked him why but I always assumed that itwas because Clive Payne was very much a local boy from out in the wilds, but why "Ted" I don''t know...