Sign in to follow this  
TCCANARY

It's Friday, so there must be a Lawro thread!

Interesting comment in his piece today.

Norwich v Aston Villa (12:45 BST)

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert goes back to Carrow Road again, after getting a stormy reception when he returned there last season. He left with three points, though, so I don''t think he minded too much.

I don''t think the Norwich fans will be quite so hostile this time around, because they are quite happy with Lambert''s successor Chris Hughton.

Hughton has improved his team from last season and the Canaries have got far more of a goal threat, but they need to win their home games.

I am not sure they will manage that here. Villa slipped up against Newcastle last week and I would expect a response to that result. A draw is probably the result that neither team wants, but will maintain the status quo.

Villa have lost their last three games after winning at the Emirates on the opening day.

There is no need for them to press the panic button but they need a positive result before what was a really good start turns into a bit of a problem.

I am not worried about them in terms of struggling to stay up, though.

They have played a lot better than the results they have got so far would suggest, and you know that their front three of Christian Benteke, Gabriel Agbonlahor and Andreas Weimann will get them lots of points.

Prediction: 1-1

Merson:

Aston Villa did not play well against Newcastle and I wrote in this

column that I couldn''t see them winning that game. But they''re a lot

better away from home and a trip to Norwich is perfect for them. The

home side will need to come on to them and I can see Villa being able to

pick them off on the counter-attack with the pace of players like

Christian Benteke and Gabriel Agbonlahor going forward.

This is a

game that Chris Hughton will have highlighted as the sort of game they

need to win this season, but I think that will only play into Paul

Lambert''s hands even more as he goes back to his old club. I''m going for

a narrow away win.

PAUL PREDICTS: 1-2

[quote user="RenegadeSnare"]We all know Paul Merson is a funt[/quote]

True, but he''s called it about right imo.

more the power of Benteke. No doubt he''ll be the best player on the pitch on paper, but our defence usually holds up strong at home, we''ve played some decent strikers from Southampton and Everton and shut them up (i don''t think a striker has scored past us this season actually).

We are at home and need to provide the initiative. Redmond will terrify a weakened (Okore out for season) and naive defence especally if Joe Bennett plays full back. Hopefully Snoddy will be back to full fitness and have the cobwebs out of his system and the pressure will be on Wolfy and Elmander to click.

We need an early goal, simmer the game down and then one on the hour mark. Villa will be strong on the counter with Agbonlahors pace, Weimanns work rate and Delphs surging runs. If we play the way we normally do at home, i''m confident we''ll win.