Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Oh so wonderful Swansea vs Oh so awful us

Jimmy Smith, those "odd games" are the difference between winning a cup and going out unnoticed in the quarters. Also you mention only points tally and don''t give them credit for the manner of their play and football philosophy. I know it''s an old debate about whether style is important if results are being achieved, but to everyone else bar some Norwich fans it does make them a superior club. Teams who are braver, technically good and create chances are celebrated, especially because it has been achieved by years of careful planning and hard work and not by  financial doping by a wealthy Russian backer.Norwich hopefully will improve as the season progresses but I feel it will take well past this season before we will see anywhere near the quality of Swansea''s football. I just think it''s a little petty to try and diminish what Swansea are because it has been a frustrating few away performances by us.

[quote user="wolfswinkel"]When was the last time Swansea beat us? I

believe we have better board and back room staff they just have the

experienced and better manager, IMO[/quote]We have a great

recent record against them, we also "had" a good record against Spurs

but they are obviously a vastly superior side. I don''t think a few

head-to-head results changes the fact they won a cup, are in Europe and

play a more progressive and impressive style of football.Also

why do you believe we have a better board and back room staff? What have

you based that on? I''m not saying you are wrong but you haven''t

elaborated why they are better. Jenkins and the board have dictated the

philosophy of the football and have then successfully hired a succession

of managers that progress that mantra. It''s quite unique to pull that

off. I do think are board are doing a cracking job though.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Well done Swansea. Stunning win last night. Has to be on a par with our victory against Bayern IMO. Very convincing win and good to watch. And before anybody points out that Valencia were down to 10 men - that doesnt always guarantee a victory now does it? Fortune favours the bold[/quote]

As a Norwich supporter I have continual difficulties identifying with anything you post. But before anyone jumps on me for saying so, I certainly wouldn''t want to take away your right to post nonsense on this board. It certainly stimulates debate. However to suggest, no state, that this victory was on a par with ours in Munich seems to have been done without any thought whatsoever: -

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/europa-league-struggling-spanish-giants-valencia-ripe-for-swansea-and-their-style-8825285.html

When these facts are considered alongside the bookies price of 4/5 for the home win nothing suggests Swansea''s achievement was on a par with ours in Munich. Probably the only person who thinks that is you. And I have trouble understanding the reasoning behind those thoughts.

[/quote]

Why so personal Nutty? Do you perchance feel I am trolling. I admit I am out of touch with continental football these days so was not particularly aware of Valencia''s current situation. I admit there may not have been much thought behind it. I simply saw what I thought was a great win for a club with no European pedigree against one of the biggest names in European football. on paper it reminded me of what we achieved in Munich. Though I accept now that, as many people have pointed out, this may not be the Valencia I perceived them to be. I simply like to commend achievements in football. Ours was one. I thought this was another, but I hold my hands up, I appear to have been mistaken

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Well done Swansea. Stunning win last night. Has to be on a par with our victory against Bayern IMO. Very convincing win and good to watch. And before anybody points out that Valencia were down to 10 men - that doesnt always guarantee a victory now does it? Fortune favours the bold[/quote]

As a Norwich supporter I have continual difficulties identifying with anything you post. But before anyone jumps on me for saying so, I certainly wouldn''t want to take away your right to post nonsense on this board. It certainly stimulates debate. However to suggest, no state, that this victory was on a par with ours in Munich seems to have been done without any thought whatsoever: -

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/europa-league-struggling-spanish-giants-valencia-ripe-for-swansea-and-their-style-8825285.html

When these facts are considered alongside the bookies price of 4/5 for the home win nothing suggests Swansea''s achievement was on a par with ours in Munich. Probably the only person who thinks that is you. And I have trouble understanding the reasoning behind those thoughts.

[/quote]

Why so personal Nutty? Do you perchance feel I am trolling. I admit I am out of touch with continental football these days so was not particularly aware of Valencia''s current situation. I admit there may not have been much thought behind it. I simply saw what I thought was a great win for a club with no European pedigree against one of the biggest names in European football. on paper it reminded me of what we achieved in Munich. Though I accept now that, as many people have pointed out, this may not be the Valencia I perceived them to be. I simply like to commend achievements in football. Ours was one. I thought this was another, but I hold my hands up, I appear to have been mistaken

[/quote]

It''s not personal and you stimulate debate. However as a Norwich supporter I often find it hard to identify with your views.

Perhaps you''re a young Wiz[;)]

The simple fact is that if we won a cup and had a run in Europe we would quite rightfully be expected some respect from the rest of footballing world (in this country at least). 
The OP appears unwilling to give respect where it is due to Swansea, but would bemoan Swansea fans if they were not to give us some respect for an excellent season. That''s the crux of the matter. But we have to achieve something to earn respect and praise. We don''t praise West Ham, or Stoke, or Fulham for achieving nothing last season. Neither do they praise us. Praise is reserved for those who have done something to earn it, we got plenty of it for winning promotion and then staying up but we can''t keep dwelling on 2011. 
Acknowledging the achievements of Swansea is the right thing to do, because they have earned it - the proper way too, without some billionaire oil baron from the Middle East or Russia. They are a club who are to be admired. As would we be if we won a cup this year and managed a top half finish. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Great Mass Debater"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s not personal and you stimulate debate. However as a Norwich supporter I often find it hard to identify with your views.

Perhaps you''re a young Wiz[;)]

[/quote]

I try to stimulate debate mainly because Im bored. I dont deliberately try to be inflammatory. As long as its not personal thats fine with me. If we all saw things the same way there would be no need for debate. Interesting you should suggest Im a young Wiz> City 1st accued me of being another re-spawned member a few days ago. Id be fascinated to know who he thought I was!

My comments are never meant to offend

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well of course if you like to stimulate debate me calling you young Wiz should be the ultimate accolade! [;)]

[/quote]

There is stimulating debate, and then there is trolling. I never knowingly do the latter...

It was a great win. They place te kind of football most Norwich fans would like to see. They have spent similar amount of money to us over 3 seasons and have won a league cup.

I don''t get all the hatred towards them. Personally I admire them and their philosophies.

They appoint managers under the agreement that they maintain a style.

Well done to them. I prefer watching them over the big 4.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well of course if you like to stimulate debate me calling you young Wiz should be the ultimate accolade! [;)]

[/quote]

There is stimulating debate, and then there is trolling. I never knowingly do the latter...

[/quote]

So are you suggesting Wiz is a troll? He''s probably our very own red top stimulator where as you like to appear more broadsheet...

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Great Mass Debater"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So are you suggesting Wiz is a troll? He''s probably our very own red top stimulator where as you like to appear more broadsheet...

[/quote]

Im not suggesting he is personally, but I gather thats how some feel about him. Me personally, I aint got no grief against noone guvnor...

Credit where it''s due to Swansea, I think you''ll see where their success can inspire us. I don''t think their football is 1 million times BETTER than ours, it''s a lot more INTERESTING though, i''d agree. We have seemingly gone to the West Ham/ Stoke route. If that''s what it takes to keep us in the premier league for now then so be it.

We have more than proved we can match if not better Swansea and appear to now be a bit of a bogey team for them even, but it still doesn''t change my initial point that margins are fine. My problem isn''t with the praise Swansea are getting but rather the lack of appreciation we are getting for 4 phenomenal seasons and a reasonable start to this one. Football fans can quickly forget things both positives and negatives.

My thing about their relegation doesn''t mean i think they will go down, I just think the odds being bandied about (like 33-1) can''t be ignored.

There are 13 teams competing for 3 spots and i''d put Swansea right in the middle of them teams. Newcastle, Everton and maybe Fulham i''d put top, Us, Swansea, WBA, Southampton, Villa, West Ham, Stoke and Cardiff i''d put next with Sunderland, Hull and Palace i''d put as favourites.

The bookies seem to place Swansea at a higher rung than me.

Damn edit! I meant 14 teams, Everton are kind of exempt kind of not as you never know. I don''t think it''s impossible they could go down but they are certainly the best of the rest.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]My thing about their relegation doesn''t mean i think they will go down, I just think the odds being bandied about (like 33-1) can''t be ignored.  [/quote]
Well I''m sure any bookie would be delighted to take a tenner off of your hands, personally I think it would be better spent in a pub.

One interesting thing to note, WBA are above us in the relegation odds now! Also seems the bookies have calmed down a bit in the last two weeks, Swansea now at around 11-1 and Southampton of all teams are below them! What have they done to deserve that other than not score many?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]My problem isn''t with the praise Swansea are getting but rather the lack

of appreciation we are getting for 4 phenomenal seasons and a

reasonable start to this one.
[/quote]Well that''s just it the last year and a half have not been phenomenal, not many goals, not a great deal of exciting football, no cup run really. That''s why we don''t get any praise like Stoke, like West Ham. We are no longer getting coverage of the fact we are staying up despite having mostly Championship players (oh look they have Grant Holt upfront and he''s actually quite good considering he has been round the clubs a bit) because we''ve spent money and have recognisable names and internationals now. We are performing on par to our financial outlay and size of club now. There isn''t much praise in doing what really we should be doing.

Results based, i''d say it has.

Last year we were predicted 17th/ 18th and got 11th, year before we were predicted 19th and got 12th.

I agree we are now out of that league and should be in with your Stokes, West Ham''s, Fulhams of the league now but we haven''t been up until now.

I''d call the quarter finals a bit of a cup run anyway, and the wins Versus Man U, Man City and Arsenal meant nothing did they?

The reality is, for most teams at this level, there will be long patches of bad form, if there wasn''t we''d be a top 6 team.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I''d call the quarter finals a bit of a cup run anyway, and the wins Versus Man U, Man City and Arsenal meant nothing did they?

The reality is, for most teams at this level, there will be long patches of bad form, if there wasn''t we''d be a top 6 team.[/quote]We won 3 games in the "Carling Cup" if you count that as a cup run then you are really easily impressed. We also embarrassed ourselves against Luton in the FA cup. We got the praise you desire after all three of those results against the bigger teams. Our biggest failings were against teams around us. The 11th finish still baffles me. It''s great we did finish there but to go from seriously worrying about a Wigan result 3 games from the end to finishing so high doesn''t paint the true story of the season if we''re honest. I think you are glossing over huge amount of disappointing football. To not have a shot on target in at least 2 games is not great. Hughton had a tough job and he achieved his goal but it wasn''t um phenomenal.

We have a great recent record against them, we also "had" a good record against Spurs but they are obviously a vastly superior side. I don''t think a few head-to-head results changes the fact they won a cup, are in Europe and play a more progressive and impressive style of football.

Also why do you believe we have a better board and back room staff? What have you based that on? I''m not saying you are wrong but you haven''t elaborated why they are better. Jenkins and the board have dictated the philosophy of the football and have then successfully hired a succession of managers that progress that mantra. It''s quite unique to pull that off. I do think are board are doing a cracking job though.

I think Swansea look more dangerous going forward than us! Swansea in my eyes have thrown a bit of money towards players, say may say we have but we''ve built out team ad to say our highest transfer fee is £8.5m isn''t that large when you compare it to Bony for 13m now I know people are gonna say there different types of strikers and the rest of it but I see us as on par with Swansea, we''ve built from league 1 kept with them players up until this season but we''ve moved with the times and built careful, don''t get me wrong but Swansea are very good pass and move wise but were very good at home and our lads all play for each other, Swansea have a few ego players and just raid the Spanish league for mediocre players. And I think our board is better as nobody seem to mess us about like Chelsea after ruddy! We''re very shrewd in our business and our board has always backed us and delia has been there through thick and thin! We''re a true team and family of supporters and club!