Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

Benno....

Obviously highly rated, started the first game, was subject to rumoured interest from lambert and now a new 2 year contract just after getting injured. Good luck to the lad.

Unlucky with the injury, still young and bags of promise!

Really pleased for him. Wasnt convinced Hughton rated him. Was expecting him to begin pulling up some trees last season, but the signing of Snodgrass hindered his development after a season of adjusting to a two league jump. Think Benno has bags of potential. Useful player already, but feel he can get better yet. Glad he will get the opportunity to try

Couldn''t happen to a nicer person.

I was very pleased to read it, and I hope that he comes back in January, or whenever, and shows the kind of skills he has. We have missed him down the right side, especially as Snoddy seems to have lost something.

Well done Benno!

I am with can you sit down on this one, I was surprised but it secures us if pilky were to leave for big bucks.

I expect us to look at a new winger in the summer a real upgrade when we stay up, we need it, we have good championship calibre players who have stepped up, but by no means are they pulling up trees. Pilky, snoddy and Redmond are better players than eb in my eyes and we will need to improve this group.

A good signing but I do feel this is to secure a good member of the team off the field, a worker on the field and if we progress we can know we can loan out and maybe get a deal.

I do not think he is a signing that will light up this league or our team. I think he can work hard, but I hope we buy some genuine quality to add to rvw, hooper, fer, bassong and ruddy as we cannot carry those that are not moving our club forward.

Harsh but true in football terms. Good signing but not one that I think offers much in our football team going further in this league with better players. Some players do look to have reached their peak.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]He''s off somewhere then.[/quote]

The thing is, I don''t think it works like Football Manager, if we wanted rid of him in summer, I doubt we''d get much more than £1m for him which we''ve probably paid him/ will pay him in signing on fees, loyalty bonus, weekly wages etc.

I think he''s a great squad player to keep around while we are still a lower to mid level premiership team.

All this player lacks imo is self belief. if given a run in the team I believe he would blossom into a very exciting talent. once he''s over his injury let''s give him some games in his favoured position and let him show us what a player I''m convinced he can be.

Great news about the deal.

Usual "put down" crap by "smooth" - no surprise there !

Don''t think Hughton & the management would offer Bennett an extended contract if they saw him solely as a friendly guy that tried hard. They clearly see he can be an impact in this division.

If you''re ever able to see past the end of your nose - you''ll find we have quality players already here.

Can just imagine your expert assessment of someone like Kevin Keegan from lowly Scunthorpe - probably dismiss him without a second thought !

I think this is a very good and shrewd move. The lad has potential and must have been down with the injury. This will give him a lift and also send a clear message to other players that the club supports and rewards players with potential and loyalty to the club, a very good message

[quote user="can u sit down please"] Championship player at best. [/quote]
Ridiculous comment, he has proven himself more than capable at this level and the only thing missing in 2011/12 was goals. Other than that he was just as good as Pilkington. From last season people remember our 10 game unbeaten run, often mentioning it to rebuke Hughton criticism. That unbeaten run started with our first league win of the season against Arsenal on 20th October (yes, that believe it or not it took that long to win a game). 
Who started on right midfield in that game? Snodgrass or Bennett? The answer is Bennett and the two best players on the pitch for us on that day were Bennett and Pilkington. It was one of the few games last season where the wingers were Bennett and Pilkington with Snodgrass on the bench.
Snodgrass has had a terrible start to the season, and if Bennett were fit right now then I''d personally be suggesting he be starting tomorrow and going forward until Snodgrass recovers his form. These are the league games which Bennett started last season:
Chelsea Lost 4-1
Arsenal Won 1-0
Aston Villa Draw 1-1
Liverpool Lost 5-0
Fulham Draw 0-0
Sunderland Draw 1-1
Wigan Lost 1-0
Swansea Draw 2-2
Reading Won 2-1
We lost on three of his nine starts, two of those against Chelsea and Liverpool. Out of three games against Villa he started the only one that we didn''t lose. 
[quote] But does anyone think he will be here in 18 months? [/quote]
I hope so, but if he does leave then being under contract means we can get a fee - which I would think should be at least £1.5m to £2m and certainly not to a mid-table Championship team but a top Championship team or even a Prem team. He''s a very good wide player who can defend and attack, with pace to burn, who creates a lot of chances - something which we lacked last season and could do with this season.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Strange one for me. Not a starter more back up. But does anyone think he will be here in 18 months?

Championship player at best. Ideally, he''d be loaned out to improve.

But we''ll done to the lad, seems a nice fella.[/quote]lol take the advice from your own username ;)