Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Raccoon

Team vs AVFC to keep people happy

It will be a close tense game,  becauses its Lambert, Villa are best away from home and hitting on the counter and we are not great with lots of possession and its on the back of a disappointing performance last week.

The analysis of the game here - http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/719988/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2013-2014-Norwich-Aston-Villa - is quite a revelation in how similar the two teams are and there respective performances in the prem league so far this season.

While they do have pace we need to domninate midfield,  Delph and then Westwood did so in both our defeats last season,  with westwood have two much time to free Agbonlahor to kill us off at the end of last season.     Tettey and Fer have to do far better on sat to stop the through balls.   For me that is where we will win or lose this game.

Am confident of a 1-0 win if we line up...

Ruddy

Whittaker Turner Bassong Garrido

Fer  Tettey

Redmond  Wessi     Pilks

RvW

If your confident with Garrido up against Agbonlahor then god help us. Ripped him to shreads last season, and has started the season very well, if there was ever a game to bring Olsson into the team then its saturday.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]I would bring in Tettey to partner Fer (instead of BJ) and I would try Pilks in the Elmander role instead keeping Snoddy and Redmon on the wings (although personally, I would switch them across). Howson simply cant play CM, he is not robust enough[/quote]

So.. as nobody answered I thought I''d quote you and maybe you''d answer me Louis. If Howson simply can''t play central midfield then what position can he play? And more to the point why did Lambert buy him?

Nigel,First of all, I rate Howson and I back Lambert''s decision to buy him, at what was frankly a bargian price..Its my personal view that he is too lightweight for the modern CM role in the PL. He looked best for us last season when given the freedom to play in the AM role (West Brom at home Man City away). I remember that the Leeds fans at the time saying something similar about him really being an AM. I dont think he has ever been given a decent run in this position and he would certainly seem to be a better prospect than Elmander who is really a striker being shoe horned into an AM role. The only thing is that someone will need to tell Ruddy to stop hoofing the ball as there is no way that he would any aerial battles, but the same good be said for Wes too.I guess it is not just me that thinks Howson is not cut out for the CM role as he is clearly at best 4th choice in CH''s thinking.

Weimann, agbonlahor, benteke, all got pace and strength! Benteke didn''t cause us many problems last year it was all gabby agbonlahor so I believe Olson should play to try and keep pace with him!

Agbonlahor plays left wing out of the front three, so it will be a match up between him and Whitts/Martin. Weimann plays right wing and will match up against Garrido/Olsson. This doesnt change the equation as both are quick.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Nigel,First of all, I rate Howson and I back Lambert''s decision to buy him, at what was frankly a bargian price..Its my personal view that he is too lightweight for the modern CM role in the PL. He looked best for us last season when given the freedom to play in the AM role (West Brom at home Man City away). I remember that the Leeds fans at the time saying something similar about him really being an AM. I dont think he has ever been given a decent run in this position and he would certainly seem to be a better prospect than Elmander who is really a striker being shoe horned into an AM role. The only thing is that someone will need to tell Ruddy to stop hoofing the ball as there is no way that he would any aerial battles, but the same good be said for Wes too.I guess it is not just me that thinks Howson is not cut out for the CM role as he is clearly at best 4th choice in CH''s thinking.[/quote]

Thank you for being kind enough to reply. I''m sure it''s not just you Louis. Do you think Howson is the man to play this new-fangled #10? Is he your choice for that position? And do you reckon that''s what Lambert bought him for?

Sorry so many questions Louis but you''re never too old to learn and I think I''m rather stuck in my ways.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Nigel,First of all, I rate Howson and I back Lambert''s decision to buy him, at what was frankly a bargian price..Its my personal view that he is too lightweight for the modern CM role in the PL. He looked best for us last season when given the freedom to play in the AM role (West Brom at home Man City away). I remember that the Leeds fans at the time saying something similar about him really being an AM. I dont think he has ever been given a decent run in this position and he would certainly seem to be a better prospect than Elmander who is really a striker being shoe horned into an AM role. The only thing is that someone will need to tell Ruddy to stop hoofing the ball as there is no way that he would any aerial battles, but the same good be said for Wes too.I guess it is not just me that thinks Howson is not cut out for the CM role as he is clearly at best 4th choice in CH''s thinking.[/quote]

Leeds fans were very clear when we bought him that he was brilliant as an attacking midfielder, but always played terribly at centre mid. I found this surprising at the time as the perception I had of him having seen him before was of a good centre-mid. But having watched him since he donned City colours I find they were spot on. As they were about Johnson actually. Not quite sure what they had to say about Snodgrass and we''ve not seen enough of Becchio for their opinions to be meaningful. I cannot think of a single game where Howson hasnt looked ineffective at centre mid. All of his outstanding moments seem to have come when the shackles are released and he''s allowed to be more forward. Maybe he is the Number 10 we''ve all been looking for. He certainly doesnt seem to be the answer in the centre of the park. Games just always seem to bypass him

GMD,Thanks - you have said what I would have said in response to Nigel''s question. But if we are going to play Howson at #10, we have to play out through the back and not this nonsense hoofing forward from Ruddy.

Alot of Villa fans thinking Weimann will be left out and Tonev will play. If so its even more reason to play Olsson and attack down that side.

Firstly I would consider starting with Martin and Olsson as the full backs for tomorrows game. They play three upfront and have pace as well - putting out a quick back four will help tomorrow - Is Martin quicker than Whittaker? - i would say probably just, but he is probably a more accomplished defender, while Whitaker is more of a attacking threat. We are probably not going to be sending both fullbacks flying forward tomorrow because of their threat, but if one was going to go i would like to see olsson getting up and supporting redmond or pilkington, I think that could be a good combination and he has the pace to recover. Also with martin playing, if olsson does go forward he can sit back and its like having three centre backs to cover anyway.

In centre mid i would go for Fer obviously, and then i think Tettey as well. Fer being the more attacking of the two - Tettey can just sit and give it as simply and quickly as possible.

Then for the other four I think its a difficult choice. For me, I think we should definitely start Redmond and Van Wolfswinkel. Then I think the other two places are between Pilkington, Hoolahan, Hooper and Snodgrass.

If Hoolahan starts, I would go for Redmond and Pilkington on the wings behind Van Woflskinkel. If Hooper starts I would have him interchanging with Van Wolksinkel as to who drops deeper and with Redmond and Pilkington on the wings. The other combination I would be interested to see is an interchanging three of Redmond, Pilkington and Snodgrass behind Van Wolskwinkel. However while i think this might work well in theory, it is a complete unknown, so i doubt we would go for it. The only other question is if you are playing Redmond and Pilkington on the wings is which way round you play them. Arguably Redmond infront of a more defensive martin makes sense as long as you don''t lose his spark by putting him there. Then you have Pilkington on his stronger side and he''s better at potential combination play with Olsson.

Overall I think I would go for Pilkington, Hoolahan and Redmond behind Van Wolksinkel with Hooper replacing Hoolahan if we need for attacking threat or go behind, and also with the option of Pilkington and Redmond switching wings if they''re going to get more joy from that.

So overall thats is

Ruddy

Martin, Turner, Bassong, Olsson

Tettey, Fer

Redmond, Hoolahan, Pilkington

Van Wolfswinkel

but i think that there are some quite tricky decisions to be made, and a number of combinations could get us a positive result and good performance.

[quote user="peateabee"]Firstly I would consider starting with Martin and Olsson as the full backs for tomorrows game. They play three upfront and have pace as well - putting out a quick back four will help tomorrow - Is Martin quicker than Whittaker? - i would say probably just, but he is probably a more accomplished defender, while Whitaker is more of a attacking threat. We are probably not going to be sending both fullbacks flying forward tomorrow because of their threat, but if one was going to go i would like to see olsson getting up and supporting redmond or pilkington, I think that could be a good combination and he has the pace to recover. Also with martin playing, if olsson does go forward he can sit back and its like having three centre backs to cover anyway.

In centre mid i would go for Fer obviously, and then i think Tettey as well. Fer being the more attacking of the two - Tettey can just sit and give it as simply and quickly as possible.

Then for the other four I think its a difficult choice. For me, I think we should definitely start Redmond and Van Wolfswinkel. Then I think the other two places are between Pilkington, Hoolahan, Hooper and Snodgrass.

If Hoolahan starts, I would go for Redmond and Pilkington on the wings behind Van Woflskinkel. If Hooper starts I would have him interchanging with Van Wolksinkel as to who drops deeper and with Redmond and Pilkington on the wings. The other combination I would be interested to see is an interchanging three of Redmond, Pilkington and Snodgrass behind Van Wolskwinkel. However while i think this might work well in theory, it is a complete unknown, so i doubt we would go for it. The only other question is if you are playing Redmond and Pilkington on the wings is which way round you play them. Arguably Redmond infront of a more defensive martin makes sense as long as you don''t lose his spark by putting him there. Then you have Pilkington on his stronger side and he''s better at potential combination play with Olsson.

Overall I think I would go for Pilkington, Hoolahan and Redmond behind Van Wolksinkel with Hooper replacing Hoolahan if we need for attacking threat or go behind, and also with the option of Pilkington and Redmond switching wings if they''re going to get more joy from that.

So overall thats is

Ruddy

Martin, Turner, Bassong, Olsson

Tettey, Fer

Redmond, Hoolahan, Pilkington

Van Wolfswinkel

but i think that there are some quite tricky decisions to be made, and a number of combinations could get us a positive result and good performance.[/quote]

Better effort - 9 out of 11! Annoyingly Garrido will start and Snodgrass will be given the chance to make up for last weeks performance.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]GMD,Thanks - you have said what I would have said in response to Nigel''s question. But if we are going to play Howson at #10, we have to play out through the back and not this nonsense hoofing forward from Ruddy.[/quote]

Help a poor old boy out. What is this #10? I remember Gordon Bolland being #10 or a caff on Thorpe Road or even a packet of fags. Is it a second striker in a 442 or a fifth midfielder in a 451. Or maybe something between the two? Whichever are you saying that Howson is first choice for that position and if so can we then expect to only see one of Hoolahan, Hooper, Elmander and Wolf in our starting 11?

Oh and is this Ruddy hoofing a regular occurrence?

What is funny is that ultra-defensive Hughton''s team, seemingly in most people''s opinions, should include the MORE defensive Russell Martin as opposed to top scorer Whittaker to counter Villa''s offensive threat.

Talk about setting up "because of the opposition" rather than doing our own thing....at HOME as well!!!

You couldn''t make it up.

I would like to see....

Ruddy

Martin   Turner   Bassong   Olsson

Redmond  Tettey   Fer  Pilkington

RvW

Hooper

Just curious as to:

Why would you drop Whittaker for Martin?

and

Why would you play RvW in a position he has never really played and noted for?

To me this does not make sense, especially the latter!

For me we do not have 2 CM players that are good enough to take that workload and control a midfield.  Fer is the only one that has that ability. So you are asking your wingers to do a hell of a lot of work also to defend and create for two strikers.  Therefore it would be hard to play Hooper and RvW together from the start.  The problem has already been demonstrated with Elmander in that role.

Snake

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

--------Ruddy-------

Whittaker Turner Bassong Olsson

Pilkington Fer Hoolahan Redmond

---------RVW----------

---------Hooper--------

Who is the fastest out of Whittaker or Martin?

RVW deeper so he can be in the game, Hooper as a willing runner. we''re at home, so dont think we need a defensive midfielder alongside Fer. let Fer do the destroying, but when he wins the ball he will be able to do something with it rather than give it away. Hoolahan has played ok at centre-mid before. No he doesnt have the physcial presence, but he tries had and positioning is good. Cant see how this can be any less effective than any of our other CMs at the moment. Think we should be looking to dominate possession in this one as we''re at home, therefore dont think we''d miss a defensive midfielder alongside Fer. let him do that job

[/quote]No Johno, No Tetty, no ball winner, no chance, no points.

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

Just curious as to:

Why would you drop Whittaker for Martin?

and

Why would you play RvW in a position he has never really played and noted for?

To me this does not make sense, especially the latter!

For me we do not have 2 CM players that are good enough to take that workload and control a midfield.  Fer is the only one that has that ability. So you are asking your wingers to do a hell of a lot of work also to defend and create for two strikers.  Therefore it would be hard to play Hooper and RvW together from the start.  The problem has already been demonstrated with Elmander in that role.

Snake

[/quote]

Fair point on Whittaker. He is probably more attack minded.

I still Hooper should start on Saturday and he should play upfront with RvW playing just behind him. What have we got to lose? He deserves his start and £5m sitting on the bench until 80 mins is a complete waste.

Let’s be honest Woolfy is not setting the world alight at the moment. It’s not his fault he’s not been getting the service he needs and I he can''t seem to perform as the sole person upfront feeding on balls from midfield or the wings. I believe a free role in between Hooper upfront and Fer would allow him to get in on goal when needed whilst being the much needed link between midfield and attack that we do not currently have.  

I get your point on the wingers but I wouldn''t necessarily expect Fer and Pilks to both be so far forward that they can''t filter back and defend if we lose posession.

This is the team I would playRuddyWhittaker Turner Bassong GarridoPilks Johno Fer SnoddyElmanderRVW

BenchHooper, Redmond, Olsen, Martin, HoolahanBut then I''m not trying to keep people happy, just trying to win the game.

Brightside,

I actual feel there is a lot to lose by trying something like this.  RvW sitting in the hole would mean him playing far too deep for him to be effective.  I understand about the desire to play Hooper and I would like to see him play, but We are not good enough in midfield to accomodate both from the start.  Furthermore if it doesn''t work what do you do and when do you change it?  We could lose this game early on by experimenting with something so unknown.

One of your strikers would have to be substituted off early leaving just one option on the bench?

Having both Elmander and Hooper on the bench gives us greater options.  We need a creative spark in that am/10/2nd striker role whatever you want to call it and for me, despite his poor start to the season, Wes would be my choice here and I think he will be champing at the bit to play.

Tettey        Fer

Redmond    Wes      Pilkington 

RvW

This looks positive, balanced and structured yet has good defensive assistance when needed, with real options from the Bench if changes are needed, both attacking or more defensive!

Snake

Ruddy

Whittaker..turner..Bassong..olsson

..fer..Johnson..

Snodgrass..Redmond..pilks

..RVW..

With the 3 attacking mids switching roles, as all can do a job as the no10. This was my only solution to keeping Snoddy, pilks and Redmond in the team but wouldn''t be disappointed to see Wes back in the starting line up. Hooper ready to come on and change to a 4-4-2 or as replacement for RVW if needed.

We can but dream....

Ruddy

Martin                Bassong               Turner/BennettPilkington                                                                                           Olsson                                      Fer                          Tettey                                               Redmond/Hoolahan                             Hooper                                       RvW

....Could it work ?

[quote user="walks on water"]   We can but dream....

Ruddy

Martin                Bassong               Turner/Bennett

Pilkington                                                                                           Olsson
                                      Fer                          Tettey   

Redmond/Hoolahan

Hooper                                       RvW

....Could it work ?

[/quote]

Probably not. The players aren''t used to it at all and you''ve got Pilkington and Olsson playing as wing-backs, correct? That''s the hardest position to play.

Probably better just letting them play in roles that they''re more used to.

Yeah I know, pipe dream really :)...although probably would have been something tomorrow''s opposing manager might have fielded. God I miss those surprises; that ''can do'' mindset and tactical flexibility.

...and find it so odd that in the modern game, players at the top level don''t have that flexibility to competently play a number of tactical systems/formations (a bit like enduring one-footedness I suppose)