Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Why not a foreign manager?

Whenever the chips are down we see lots of names bandied about, but they are almost always British or Irish.
Hughton is amazingly our first ever non-British manager, although presumably he had a British passport before he had an Irish one, so he''s as British as any of them.
Norwich fans often crave attractive attacking football, but will then put forward a load of British managers for the job - Hoddle and Mackay the latest ones apparently. Malky is a slightly more adept version of Adrian Bothroyd and if Hoddle played attractive attacking football with England then I''m Cristiano Ronaldo. 
Why shouldn''t our next manager (which I personally think should arrive at the end of the season unless we find ourselves in the relegation zone at Christmas) be an imported one?
How can we expect our players to be adventurous if the board aren''t? The league is full of foreign managers and somebody at some stage brought them over here. I suppose there is the worry that any import would need time to understand the league, although that didn''t stop Swansea giving Laudrup a job. And there is a talented foreign manager with Premier League experience on the dole queue already - Robert Di Matteo.
But coming on here and seeing somebody suggest Glenn Hoddle and another suggest Harry Redknapp?! Goodness me. Is there really anybody here who would swap Hughton for that weirdo Hoddle? And for that cockney crook who likes signing journeymen has beens who got an England cap in 2004?
It is almost as if Norwich fans are willing to cut off their noses to spite their face. It may well be time to change direction at some point, probably at the end of the season, but at least find some credible and refreshing candidates who are actually going to come in and revolutionise the way that we play football. 

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/157671.html

...I think Hoddle gets a stock bad reaction because of Eileen Drewery and his ill advised comments regarding reincarnation, but I certainly would place him as a more progressive coach. Foreign doesn''t always automatically mean they''re going to be more progressive.

Anyway, I wouldn''t be against a foreign coach as long as we applied due diligence to the appointment. Would certainly like to see more tactical flexibility and fluidlty in our Norwich side.

[quote user="walks on water"]http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/157671.html

...I think Hoddle gets a stock bad reaction because of Eileen Drewery and his ill advised comments regarding reincarnation, but I certainly would place him as a more progressive coach. Foreign doesn''t always automatically mean they''re going to be more progressive.

Anyway, I wouldn''t be against a foreign coach as long as we applied due diligence to the appointment. Would certainly like to see more tactical flexibility and fluidlty in our Norwich side.[/quote]
He also forces his players to consume lots of creatine, something which a few players have spoken out about, and had a favourite ''medic'' who inject a substance into the England players - it hasn''t be revealed what substance that was. Gary Neville said it if you want to find the reference. 
Creatine doesn''t pose short term risks and is not a banned substance but frequent consumption can have devastating effects on organs such as the liver and kidneys. 
As for your link..... he failed twice to get Wolves into the Championship play-offs despite having what football perceived as one of the strongest squads in the league. In two seasons his team drew 34 league games out of 76 over two seasons and in one season they were one of the lowest scoring teams in the division. 
So let''s swap one manager who plays for the draw and can''t get goals out of an expensive assembly of skilled attacking players for another manager who plays for the draw and can''t get goals out of an expensive assembly of skilled attacking players? Hughton managed the play-offs at Birmingham. 
Would much rather have Hughton. 

Think you''ll find creatine is widely consumed in a great many sports...and I believe the long term health risks you''ve cited are disputed.

You''ve been a little selective there with your assessment of Hoddle''s managerial career.

The tactics he used for England (in a 3-5-2) were widely considered to be very forward thinking with the emphasis on controlling the midfield. We haven''t looked anything like a modern footballing nation since his (and Terry Venables) term in the job.

Glenn Hoddle''s football is progressive alright, he just rubs people up the wrong way ;)

''Walks on water'' has a point ....Ireland have just got rid of a Foreign manager who had won most things in his time....but what a disaster, not only results, but boring defensive style too. funny how during the Sweden match the telly kept cutting to C Hughton during the game, the Irish seem to think CH can turn things around for them......they obviously havent watched city play, striker isolated, cautious ,hesitant midfield, makes trappatonis much derided 442 look like an adveture in open attacking play. If CH goes, i see nothing wrong with foreign manager, so long as its in the Poyet/Di mateo style.

I don''t think it is that people are against an overseas manager, but people will suggest the names of managers they know. Many managers working abroad, and who would be open to a switch to Norwich City, are unknown.

Who would you realistically want to come and manage Norwich?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucien_Favre

http://aliquamscripto.wordpress.com/2012/06/23/lucien-favre-borussia-glad-to-be-bach/

If we could get him (which is highly unlikely I know) ...Lucien Favre please

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I don''t think it is that people are against an overseas manager, but people will suggest the names of managers they know. Many managers working abroad, and who would be open to a switch to Norwich City, are unknown.

[/quote]

Exactly this. People cant suggest a specific foreign manager due to a lack of knowledge. They might be open to the possibility, just dont want to come across as that fan who demands A. Foreigner. I think if we were more familiar with other leagues suggestions would be more varied, but we suggest only what we have personal knowledge of. I think we''d all welcome an exciting manager from another league who''d bring a fresh approach. Question is, we dont know of anyone! When Lambert left, didnt we have a foreign fan on here insisting we were about to appoint his teams manager? Cant rememeber enough of the details to say who. Think it was a Spanish team. Aage Hareide always gets linked too

[quote user="walks on water"]Or Dragan Stojkovic ?![/quote]

I''d love Dragan here! But to be honest I don''t think he is actually that great a manager - and to pick someone who has never managed in Europe, let alone England would be a massive risk.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]
Depends what you mean by "realistic", was Laudrup going to Swansea "realistic" or is "realistic" another word for "unambitious".
I''d like Frank Rijkaard. Is that realistic?
He was the man who brought through Xavi and Iniesta at Barcelona, effectively setting the wheels in motion for a period which would see other men take all of the credit. 
Currently unemployed after a stint as Saudi Arabia manager. We have some Dutchmen in the playing squad don''t we? 

[quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

Depends what you mean by "realistic", was Laudrup going to Swansea "realistic" or is "realistic" another word for "unambitious".

He was the man who brought through Xavi and Iniesta at Barcelona, effectively setting the wheels in motion for a period which would see other men take all of the credit. 

Currently unemployed after a stint as Saudi Arabia manager. We have some Dutchmen in the playing squad don''t we? 

[/quote]

Hasn''t he given up management? He turned down the PSG job as he said his heart wasn''t in it anymore. He''s now sitting with his feet up in Florida as an ''ambassador'' for some soccer academy over there.

Also, have a feeling his wage demands might be a little testing for Norwich.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hasn''t he given up management? He turned down the PSG job as he said his heart wasn''t in it anymore. He''s now sitting with his feet up in Florida as an ''ambassador'' for some soccer academy over there.

Also, have a feeling his wage demands might be a little testing for Norwich.

[/quote]
Would he really want any more than Harry Redknapp?
He is taking a season out, like Guardiola did, and all he said is that he wanted to have a break for a season? That would make him available at the end of the season? 
Zidane wants to get into management, why not try him? People may think I''m being pie in the sky but why the hell not? Many people would put Laudrup on the same level as Zidane as a player - he was one of the best in the world.
How about Vialli? He won four trophies in two years at Chelsea, knows the league, and can speak English. Zola has done very well at Watford.  
Or if we want one of those charismatic suit wearing Maldini types with hair from a head and shoulders advert then why not take a wild punt on Alessandro Nesta - still playing too, could pull his boots on and show our lads how it is done. 
Casiraghi managed the Italy Under 21''s for five years - we''d have gotten Quagriggela with him on the hotseat wouldn''t we? Imagine how many talented young Italian''s he has on his phonebook.
There must be hundreds of options. 

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

"There is nobody at this club with more ambition than me"

- Robert Chase

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Hmm, think we have strayed a long way from realism.[/quote]
You sound like Chris Hughton. 

Someone on twitter was saying that Zidane for Norwich manager had been mentioned on these forumshad a good old chuckle... then realised he was actually telling the truthOh my.

wasnt riijkard in the top 10 wage earners for managers world wide? I think I read that he earns more than pep Guardiola and was on around £50k pw.

If we do take on a foreign manager, let it be one who can speak decent English. It was bad enough with Peter Grant.! I know that many of our foreign legion speak better English than we do, but surely the Manager has to have a rapport with his customer base (the fans). When you consider that many fans shuddered when the names of Malky Mackay and Steve Bruce came up when PL left. They have both been succesful since. Another name that has been mentioned in the past and was rejected by the fans, how about Paul Ince ?, vastly experienced and doing a decent job at Blackpool?