Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Hughtons tactics vs Villa - what will happen

So we all hope for a good game vs Villa.We want to see NCFC attack, get a stronghold of the game, control matters, and produce a few goals without too many in reply.But what will Hughton think? What will he do? How will he set us up and set us off?In his defensive mind, he will play 1 up front, and sit back from the start, because he is afraid of Villa''s pace (he will ofcourse big them up in the pre match presser).He will not allow his backline to press high up the pitch because he knows Agbonlahor and Benteke and Weimann will run us ragged on the counter.  In midfield, he will play with 2 holding midfielders, to protect his no-pace back four.Therefore, a complete useless player when we are expecting to run the show (Johnson) will start again.So therefore Hoots is happy to play the waiting game, playing it safe, not risk losing.It will be 0-0 at halftime, with very little chances created for either side. We will all be thinking back to the home games vs Fulham, QPR; Newcastle, Soton, etc last season.Lambert will be happy to sit back with his team knowing the pressure will be mounting on Hughton, the crowd will start to moan and shout, and sooner or later Lambert hopes Hughton will have to open up a bit, giving his forward line a chance to deliver the sucker 0-1 punch late in the second half (from 75.min and onwards).After Villa have taken the lead, we will all think back, maybe Hughton too, why we did not aquit ourselves better from the start, press, get the first goal, and then control matters.As always in Hughtons universe, he will wait with subs until he sees what the other manager have donw with his subs.I have rarely seen Hoots make the first sub in the game (except perhaps for Hull).So, the game will gradually fizzle out, with our only chances on target originating from either a corner or a freekick far away from goal.Wolf will again be starved of any service, and be subbed after 80 mins for Hooper, when we are 0-1 down. No change in formation, it will be man for man, nothing structural. After all it is better to lose 0-1 than 0-2. Hoots knows the value of goal difference come May..Paddy Davitt will write is usual carefully word-weighted post-match article, not risking to upset the club hierarchy so he might get the ugly eye or even be banned from future Colney pressers.What next?Morty or some other from the forum police brigade will make a mockery out of this post and tell us to calm down, as it will still be 33 games left of the season.

Sorry I''m going to have say more. This post is pathetic, couldn''t you have whinged on one of the other threads?

For the last time - we lost last week against title contenders. They were better than us. ACCEPT IT.

If we''d set up to attack we would have lost 7-0.

In fairness I think that this is one game where becoming too stretched will not serve us well so Hughton can legitimately look to play a tight game. Thats not to say we should sit off them. We still need to press but we cannot afford for our fullbacks to get caught up the pitch leaving the CBs exposed.

Villa''s game is all about counter attacking so we should play Olsson at the back to give us some extra pace and i would consider playing Tettey as a lone holding player to just sit in front of the back 4 and break up any counter attacks.

Can not, and don''t believe Hughton will play defensively against Villa.

If we were to sit back, we would lose I believe.

Equally, don''t believe we can go all out attacking, as will be caught on the counter with the pace they have and use effectively.

Villa leak goals, and think a high defensive line with close midfield will allow us to make the breaks needed to score, whilst at the same time giving us the cover at the back against their counters.

Can see this as being a good game BT Sport have got the rights to. Think it will be a good game for the neutrals to watch.

For me, we have to try (I believe we will) to get the 3 points........and succeed 

OTBC

[quote user="grefstad"]So we all hope for a good game vs Villa.
We want to see NCFC attack, get a stronghold of the game, control matters, and produce a few goals without too many in reply.

But what will Hughton think? What will he do? How will he set us up and set us off?

In his defensive mind, he will play 1 up front, and sit back from the start, because he is afraid of Villa''s pace (he will ofcourse big them up in the pre match presser).
He will not allow his backline to press high up the pitch because he knows Agbonlahor and Benteke and Weimann will run us ragged on the counter.  In midfield, he will play with 2 holding midfielders, to protect his no-pace back four.
Therefore, a complete useless player when we are expecting to run the show (Johnson) will start again.

So therefore Hoots is happy to play the waiting game, playing it safe, not risk losing.
It will be 0-0 at halftime, with very little chances created for either side. We will all be thinking back to the home games vs Fulham, QPR; Newcastle, Soton, etc last season.

Lambert will be happy to sit back with his team knowing the pressure will be mounting on Hughton, the crowd will start to moan and shout, and sooner or later Lambert hopes Hughton will have to open up a bit, giving his forward line a chance to deliver the sucker 0-1 punch late in the second half (from 75.min and onwards).

After Villa have taken the lead, we will all think back, maybe Hughton too, why we did not aquit ourselves better from the start, press, get the first goal, and then control matters.
As always in Hughtons universe, he will wait with subs until he sees what the other manager have donw with his subs.
I have rarely seen Hoots make the first sub in the game (except perhaps for Hull).

So, the game will gradually fizzle out, with our only chances on target originating from either a corner or a freekick far away from goal.

Wolf will again be starved of any service, and be subbed after 80 mins for Hooper, when we are 0-1 down. No change in formation, it will be man for man, nothing structural. After all it is better to lose 0-1 than 0-2. Hoots knows the value of goal difference come May..

Paddy Davitt will write is usual carefully word-weighted post-match article, not risking to upset the club hierarchy so he might get the ugly eye or even be banned from future Colney pressers.

What next?
Morty or some other from the forum police brigade will make a mockery out of this post and tell us to calm down, as it will still be 33 games left of the season.

[/quote]

I was about to sign up to BT Sports but now I''ve read the match report I don''t have to, must''ve saved myself a few quid.

I was at the Soton game, in Upper Barclay.It was a fairly good game, from what we have been used to under Hughton, but we could have easily lost that one too.Villa is a different team than Soton, and my OP was what Hughton will do to tackle the attacking threat of Villa.Will he put his team out with emphasis to attack to win, or will he control not to lose.I assume the latter, as Hughtons mindset seem to be less willing to risk anything to win, he is more content to protect whatever you got and hope for something better from a setpiece or a lucky break.Now, I appreciate that the game vs Tottenham was likely lost anyway at 0-2, and that he probably saw that, and was happy to lose only 2-0, but is it the mindset we want from a manager?Who knows how Spurs would have reacted if the Wolf had scored on his chance(s) to make it 1-2?Hughton seems to think that other teams make all the correct desiscions, all the right moves, and he therefore set his team up to counter that.He should, rightfully in my eyes, see more in the direction of us doing the right things, asking question of other teams, and let them worry more about us than the opposite way around (excluding the top 6 teams where a more defensive approach is likely right in 90% of all games against them).So, discuss how you think Hughton will set us up and his likely game plan

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="grefstad"]So we all hope for a good game vs Villa.We want to see NCFC attack, get a stronghold of the game, control matters, and produce a few goals without too many in reply.But what will Hughton think? What will he do? How will he set us up and set us off?In his defensive mind, he will play 1 up front, and sit back from the start, because he is afraid of Villa''s pace (he will ofcourse big them up in the pre match presser).He will not allow his backline to press high up the pitch because he knows Agbonlahor and Benteke and Weimann will run us ragged on the counter.  In midfield, he will play with 2 holding midfielders, to protect his no-pace back four.Therefore, a complete useless player when we are expecting to run the show (Johnson) will start again.So therefore Hoots is happy to play the waiting game, playing it safe, not risk losing.It will be 0-0 at halftime, with very little chances created for either side. We will all be thinking back to the home games vs Fulham, QPR; Newcastle, Soton, etc last season.Lambert will be happy to sit back with his team knowing the pressure will be mounting on Hughton, the crowd will start to moan and shout, and sooner or later Lambert hopes Hughton will have to open up a bit, giving his forward line a chance to deliver the sucker 0-1 punch late in the second half (from 75.min and onwards).After Villa have taken the lead, we will all think back, maybe Hughton too, why we did not aquit ourselves better from the start, press, get the first goal, and then control matters.As always in Hughtons universe, he will wait with subs until he sees what the other manager have donw with his subs.I have rarely seen Hoots make the first sub in the game (except perhaps for Hull).So, the game will gradually fizzle out, with our only chances on target originating from either a corner or a freekick far away from goal.Wolf will again be starved of any service, and be subbed after 80 mins for Hooper, when we are 0-1 down. No change in formation, it will be man for man, nothing structural. After all it is better to lose 0-1 than 0-2. Hoots knows the value of goal difference come May..Paddy Davitt will write is usual carefully word-weighted post-match article, not risking to upset the club hierarchy so he might get the ugly eye or even be banned from future Colney pressers.What next?Morty or some other from the forum police brigade will make a mockery out of this post and tell us to calm down, as it will still be 33 games left of the season.

[/quote]

I was about to sign up to BT Sports but now I''ve read the match report I don''t have to, must''ve saved myself a few quid.

[/quote]

LOL.

With the money you save not subscribing to BT Sport, you can buy a ticket to the game, and join with the Grefstad booing Hughton ;)

[quote user="hairy canary"]

Villa leak goals, and think a high defensive line with close midfield will allow us to make the breaks needed to score, whilst at the same time giving us the cover at the back against their counters.

[/quote]So you dont fear long balls over the top for Benteke, Weimann, Agbonlahor to chase? I would. A high defensive line vs Villa could be difficult, as Arsenal found out. Balance is key, but how to balance the team defensively without losing the attacking purpose is hard, and something Hugnton seem to have struggled with since day 1 at this club.It is possible that Hughton have seen our defenders are not good enough in one-on-one situations to clear danger, not having enough pace, etc.If you see other teams playing 4-5-1 in an offensive way, they usually have quick defenders able to operate on their own, not needing 2 defensive midfielders to patrol ahead of them at all times.That is our problem. Hughton does not trust our defenders enough to leave them to do their jobs, so he tried to pack the midfield to "help out", but in doing so, we lose almost all of our attacking potential.

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="hairy canary"]

[/quote]So you dont fear long balls over the top for Benteke, Weimann, Agbonlahor to chase? I would. A high defensive line vs Villa could be difficult, as Arsenal found out. Balance is key, but how to balance the team defensively without losing the attacking purpose is hard, and something Hugnton seem to have struggled with since day 1 at this club.It is possible that Hughton have seen our defenders are not good enough in one-on-one situations to clear danger, not having enough pace, etc.If you see other teams playing 4-5-1 in an offensive way, they usually have quick defenders able to operate on their own, not needing 2 defensive midfielders to patrol ahead of them at all times.That is our problem. Hughton does not trust our defenders enough to leave them to do their jobs, so he tried to pack the midfield to "help out", but in doing so, we lose almost all of our attacking potential.[/quote]

I don''t fear long balls, no.I fear our team being made to sit back and allow Villa more ground in our half....Lets play the offside trap and surely you would trust our players (with Johnson not playing) to see a long ball coming towards us!

Think Olsson (and Whittaker on his day) are quick enough to match the pace of villa, but Whittaker needs to not go running forward to score for him to be an effective defender

Or would you rather we sat back and tried to absorb any pressure from the players you mention. At least then our forward/s would be used to the isolated position and could enjoy watching the game from the pitch.

Hairy,Whitts is slow and I dont think there are many City fans would suggest otherwise. Think back to the Man City game last year. Rodwell is no sprinter. Also Arsenal away. Yes, I realise that the OX is quick, but he gave Whitts several metres advantage from a standing start and still went past him with ease. That also explain why he stood so far off the Spurs attackers last Saturday. Dont get me wrong, I like Whitts and I love his attacking sense, but let''s not pretend his is quick in any sense of the word. We have only one fit player in our entire match day squad that has real pace.

I did say on his day ;)

And he was up and down the wing for a lot of the man city game...Keep him in our half, and he will have a bit more energy to counter the long balls.

And I do believe after the Spurs result, that players will be on their best form for the home game straight after that defeat.

I have to hope anyway ;)

We can all guess and add our thoughts to what is needed, but if we get the win then however that comes I will be happy.

OTBC

Hairy,For once, I almost dont care about how we play so long as we beat Villa. Lose this one and I think CH will be facing a slippery slope, espeically given our immediate fixtures before the Cardiff game.

Why does everyone feel they need to moan! Have people forgotten how good we are at home? IMO we are excellent at getting results at home! Think back to last season! How many games at home did we lose? And who too?! It''s our awayrecord that let''s us down! After reading ruddy and Hughtons comments in the week I think they can all see away we falter 90% of the time and I firmly believe we''re about to turn it all around! And no I''m not moaning!

[quote user="wolfswinkel"]Think back to last season! How many games at home did we lose? And who to?! [/quote]

Well Villa amongst others...

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Err Man City and Villa in the League Cup[/quote]Uhm... Man City was 3-4 if i remember correctly.We played really well and should have won it

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Err Man City and Villa in the League Cup
[/quote]

Well now Louis I for one thought we gave man City a good run for their money.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Conceeding 4 goals at home against 10 men counts as getting caned for me no mater how exciting the game was[/quote]Wasn''t Nasri sent off after they had already scored 2 goals?Didn''t Ageuro score a worldy?It''s amazing how people like you Louis always look at the negatives.Not the fact we scored 3.... should have scored 4..... against a team worth 200million

Look Reading - please read the bloody thread. I was responding to Wolfswinkel who thought that the only caning we received was from Liverpool. We conceded 4 goals at home twice last year and got kicked out of the cup by Luton. These are facts and it doesnt not make me negative. Let''s not pretend that amongst the highs of last season, there werent any lows.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Look Reading - please read the bloody thread. I was responding to Wolfswinkel who thought that the only caning we received was from Liverpool. We conceded 4 goals at home twice last year and got kicked out of the cup by Luton. These are facts and it doesnt not make me negative. Let''s not pretend that amongst the highs of last season, there werent any lows. [/quote]The highs last year at home were so so so so much better than the lowsYes we lost to Luton. It was embarrassing. But the team we started was hardly our starting 11.Last year I got to watch our boys beat United. Arsenal and Spurs.I got to see us put 4 past West Brom and go on a 10 game unbeaten run thanks to superb home form.People seem to forget about that though.