Sign in to follow this  
Bws Cat

Norwich- A club against homophobia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24104250

A bit worrying to find that invitations were sent to all clubs and that a lot were declined. Good on us then.

Anybody expect any of our players to wear the laces? I hope so.

Joey Barton was tweeting about this and saying where you could get the laces. Most of the players wear rainbow boots so the laces should be a shoo-in (boom-boom)

Interesting we were one of the clubs who supported this, yet 20 years ago (if i remember correctly) we were one of the few clubs not to sign up to Kick it Out anti racism. How times have changed

Times do change46 years ago it was illegal to be a practicing homosexual(though it was ok if you were perfect)

though I''m not too sure how you got to be perfect without a lot of practicisng

[quote user="Bws Cat "]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24104250

A bit worrying to find that invitations were sent to all clubs and that a lot were declined. Good on us then.

Anybody expect any of our players to wear the laces? I hope so.[/quote]
Why worrying?  Perhaps the others realise it''s a load of horseshit.  I dare say, most people don''t give two f**** what players do in their own time.  Therefore making a song and dance out sexuality in football is hypocritical horseshit.
What next? Are we to force gay players to announce their sexuality?  Just because....  FFS just let football players be football players without this need to single certain groups out from others.  It does more harm than good imo.

Do a bit of research, SC, and you will see that it does not do more harm than good. The only people that this is most likely going to annoy, harm, offend, etc. are those who are, indeed, homophobic.

JDT, it''s not uncommon for these well intended misguided efforts to cause harm and accomplish nothing.

This program reeks of that. I''m sure the typical homosexual who doesn''t wear it on his sleeve would like this program to never exist.

It''s making an issue about something that''s hardly an issue any more, proably to make the league look good.

Feel good nonsense.

Ive never been homophobic,i love the house I live in [;)] on a serious note its just a pain in the a.rse  (boom boom) <----- Jokes

Its never botherd me if a players gay or not as long as he can play who gives toss???

we played like a bunch of fairies at the weekend may as well go the whole hog.... seriously though i work with a few gay people and its not an issue , they just want to get on with there lives like everyone else and they do why do we need these campaigns? if anything it probably creates  homophobia

[quote user="Schlong Connery"][quote user="Bws Cat "]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24104250

Anybody expect any of our players to wear the laces? I hope so.[/quote]
Why worrying?  Perhaps the others realise it''s a load of horseshit.  I dare say, most people don''t give two f**** what players do in their own time.  Therefore making a song and dance out sexuality in football is hypocritical horseshit.
What next? Are we to force gay players to announce their sexuality?  Just because....  FFS just let football players be football players without this need to single certain groups out from others.  It does more harm than good imo.
[/quote]

Totally agree with this. What better way to make a stand against homophobia than emphasising pathetic stereotypes by suggesting players to wear rainbow laces. Why not suggest players skip about and listen to musicals too. Why can''t we just let footballers play football. Does it really matter what their sexual orientation is?

@Brightside

The rainbow is not a stereotype but actually quite an old symbol. You are looking at it incorrectly, it has long been the symbol diversity and inclusiveness.

Your opinion and attitude merely serves as a perfect example of why this should happen, ignorance like this needs to be stamped out.

[quote user="Ginja"]Your opinion and attitude merely serves as a perfect example of why this should happen, ignorance like this needs to be stamped out.[/quote]And you''re trying to preach tolerance??

A lot of the points being made on this thread were the same points made why Norwich shouldn''t join ''Kick Racism Out of Football''.

At first these things seem to be drawing extra attention to an issue, which can been seen as counter productive - but in the long term well run campaigns do help to promote tolerance. No one is going to be forced to come out or anything like that, but promoting an environment where a player would feel comfortable about coming out if that is what they want to do has to be the target. Just saying they should keep their lives private is much easier said than done - how do you keep your private life private when you are one of the most recognisable people in the town/city where you live?

In the 70s people said it would be impossible to stamp out racist chanting at football grounds - now if it happens its headline news. Rainbow laces aren''t going to suddenly make football a gay friendly world, but there is no magic wand to suddenly make that happen.

@Zak

Yes because tolerance towards ignorant people is exactly the same as tolerance towards LGBT....

Its a fantastic campaign and i''m very glad Norwich are a part of it.

While I agree that its not necessarily what gay footballers may want, a big fuss around them, it will eventually help and it wouldn''t matter wether they made it public they were gay.

At the moment there is no advantage to coming out, for a gay footballer. There really is no issue with being gay for most people, but for a (far too large) minority (I hope its a minority anyway) it is an issue, and for a current player to come out publicly would potentially be a very tough experience for them. They''d be the poster boy of the campaign so to speak, they''d have all the pressure on them. Its not surprising the only footballers to come out have done so after finishing playing.

Of course it doesn''t matter what race, sexuality or anything like that a player is. They shouldn''t even feel the need to state in public what there sexuality is. But they also shouldn''t need to hide it. How many players do, I don''t know. Hopefully this campaign will make the minority of ignorant intolerant people even smaller and it won''t matter a bit wether a player is gay, and they don''t need to call a press conference to announce that.

You could argue for both sides of the argument all day long.  However, just to make things clear.  Just because some fans don''t agree it doesn''t make them ignorant or intolerant.
For an example, on the other side of the coin, players who are dating some dolly bird or whatever... I''m just not bothered.  And if people in general where less bothered about others personal business.  There''d be no need for silly campaigns. 
That''s it, I''m out now.

"Just because some fans don''t agree it..."

I know you''re are not saying this but someone''s sexual orientation is not something people get to agree or disagree with, you accept it, period.

If you insult a gay or black guy you can be, quite rightly, done for it.

However, despite toothless laws the disabled people of GB have no such protection..........just saying.[^o)]

[quote user="Ginja"]@Zak

Yes because tolerance towards ignorant people is exactly the same as tolerance towards LGBT....[/quote]But is it possible to be tolerant of something whilst at the same time not embracing every aspect of it and learning every nuance of the culture? Are you familiar with all the symbolism and every custom in say Islam or do we need an anti Islamaphobe campaign in football to err  "stamp out your ignorance" and ensure your tolerance?

[quote user="Ginja"]"Just because some fans don''t agree it..."

I know you''re are not saying this but someone''s sexual orientation is not something people get to agree or disagree with, you accept it, period.[/quote]
I was actually referring to the campaign.  Therefore please quote me in context, so my word don''t get twisted,  full stop.

@Schlong

I know, that''s why I wrote "I know you''re not saying this"

My point I was trying to make was the opposite of yours if a fan didn''t agree with someone being gay they are ignorant and intolerant.

You, I or anyone else has no right to agree or disagree on someone else''s sexual orientation. That''s point of this campaign, to educate people and make them realise that it''s not okay to think that "being gay is wrong".

Think they missed a trick not having David Batty fronting the campaign...in seriousness, if the campaign gets people talking about the issue at all levels, it''s doing it''s job isn''t it?

@Zak

No of course not, but then I wouldn''t weigh into a debate without correctly knowing the subject, unlike the post I was referring too. Instead the poster applied his own preconceived stereotypical ideas instead of doing the most basic research.

Tolerance comes from understanding.

Ginja, whilst I respect your opinion and argument, calling someone ignorant and putting your slant on someone else''s post gives you zero credibility.

It is clear that you didn''t understand my post in the way it was intended which may be my fault or yours.

How the hell can you assume what stereotypes I hold from one post? You can''t!

I didn''t know that we should all be doing a bit of research before posting perhaps you can suggest some suitable reading material. For your own peace of mind however you''ll be happy to know that I am more than comfortable with what I know. I actually agree with a lot of what you say. Just a shame about the way you go about it

[quote user="Ginja"]@Schlong

I know, that''s why I wrote "I know you''re not saying this"

My point I was trying to make was the opposite of yours if a fan didn''t agree with someone being gay they are ignorant and intolerant.

You, I or anyone else has no right to agree or disagree on someone else''s sexual orientation. That''s point of this campaign, to educate people and make them realise that it''s not okay to think that "being gay is wrong".[/quote]

Just to play devils advocate here is it not somewhat intolerant to tell someone what it is ok or not ok for them to think?

Some people may have religious or cultural beliefs that means they are uncomfortable with homosexuality.

I''m not one of them by the way before people start hurling abuse but it never fails to amaze me how some people think they have the right to tell others what they can or cannot think or believe or to "educate" them to see the error of their ways.

If someone wants to wear a pair of rainbow laces to play football then fine i couldn''t care less (some of our players will probably do it as the laces will go well with their flashy boots) but it won''t make a blind bit of difference to my views on homosexuality and I just think these endless campaigns can turn people off an issue. I know some people who are homosexual and I know some people who are hetrosexual. if they are my friends then they are my friends. If they are not then then they are not. People are not be defined by their sexuality and I sometimes think that the people who do define others by their sexuality are those who are running these campaigns as opposed to the vast bulk of the population who couldn''t give a monkeys.