Sign in to follow this  
1st-timer_Norwich

Tips before 1 time carrow road visit?

Me and my father is visiting Norwich City 4 first time any tips for where to go pre match and after?  or other things we need to know ?My father is 40 year Norwich City supporter and we are traveling from Norway. Best regards from Norway

If he likes a beer before the match take him to the Fat Cat and Canary pub on Yarmouth Rd 10/15 minute walk, Umbertos Italian restaurant after.On Sunday morning take him to the Close near the cathedral and Elm Hill area.With the current negative tactics better have a couple of beers first!

Trip is booked and we are really looking forward to it!  I was hoping some localfans could be so kind and give some hints on what\where to be when first time visiting Norwich.  There will be 3 points aswell on sat! and it will be awesome

[quote user="Tiffey Boy"]If he likes a beer before the match take him to the Fat Cat and Canary pub on Yarmouth Rd 10/15 minute walk, Umbertos Italian restaurant after.On Sunday morning take him to the Close near the cathedral and Elm Hill area.With the current negative tactics better have a couple of beers first![/quote]Ty! 

Hi 1st timer - I have a friend that works in Norway and my understanding is that the exchange rate is very much in your favour - certainly he tells me of Norwegian friends that visit explicitly to save money on major purchases. It might be a good idea to combine your visit with a shopping trip - Norwich is an excellent shopping centre providing good choice for a regional area.

On a cultural level - it depends what you are interested in, when you are coming, whether you have transport and how long you are staying. The main tourist features are the Castle, Cathedral and the market, each of which are impressive. The Sainsbury Centre is free and worth a visit if you are interested in Art and there are often good exhibitions in the Castle Museum.

Prince of Wales road on a Saturday evening is probably of more interest to you that you dad!

As a Norwich lad who had to move away for career purposes I really appreciate the City and think that you will too. I hope you have a great time and come back soon!

1st timer, despite our pretty awful record away, our home form is one of the best around and you will probably find the best football played in the land outside the top 8 teams at home. Beware though, we''re built on a solid, hard working base as opposed to quick and flairy players.

Nathan Redmond makes particular exciting viewing and i have seen him play against Everton where he gave the ball away too much but still looked class and also seen him have a stormer versus Southampton. In reality, he''ll terrorise the dodgy Villa full backs next time out.

Beware the fans that still will moan at Steve Morison for not chasing a through ball or not tracking back despite him no longer playing for us! Also, every time RVW messes up, calls for Holt will be heard as apparently he has become as good as Cristiano Ronaldo since he left according to some.

Hopefully you''ll see a win and if you do, i''d go back but don''t think you will see the same show if you go watch us away as despite it being a tough league, we really don''t help ourselves as you have probably gathered! 0-1 at Wigan has to be the most painful 2 hours of my life as a football fan (i can only imagine how awful Hull away must have been)!

The pre match pubs mentioned are all good, so i won''t repeat any advice.

[quote user=" Badger"]Hi 1st timer - I have a friend that works in Norway and my understanding is that the exchange rate is very much in your favour - certainly he tells me of Norwegian friends that visit explicitly to save money on major purchases. It might be a good idea to combine your visit with a shopping trip - Norwich is an excellent shopping centre providing good choice for a regional area.

On a cultural level - it depends what you are interested in, when you are coming, whether you have transport and how long you are staying. The main tourist features are the Castle, Cathedral and the market, each of which are impressive. The Sainsbury Centre is free and worth a visit if you are interested in Art and there are often good exhibitions in the Castle Museum.

Prince of Wales road on a Saturday evening is probably of more interest to you that you dad!

As a Norwich lad who had to move away for career purposes I really appreciate the City and think that you will too. I hope you have a great time and come back soon![/quote]Thank you for excellent tips!  I will certainly look into this and hope to have a nice time in norwich. We are staying friday-monday morning so there should be time for both fotball whith some pints and some looking around the city.  My father has talked about going on this trip for many years but it has never happend, so this time i booked it straight away, and he is extatic about seeing the Canaries live whith the atmosfhere and all. he likes a few pints aswell so this will be a top weekend we hope :-)

Well if you are here that long, try the Kings Head on magdalen street for local beers and bar billiards as well as the Fat Cat on Nelson Street (a must!).If you are lucky you can get the window seat in Jarrolds store cafe, which overloks the market, if you do want a snack/coffee

Enjoy the visit and the football

Coach and horses is also quite good for some real ale and the food is nice if not very exotic, stay away from the dreadful chinese buffet on riverside, im amazed they are still in business, have a great weekend :)

[quote user="1st-timer_Norwich"]I will shave and shower , and do my best not to offend any locals :-)  If any of you see 2 ppl talking a bit strange english and smiling it is prob us :-)[/quote]If you''re smiling I''d imagine you''ll be very easy to spot! [;)]

Just wanted to wish you good luck on your visit and I hope you have a great time with the game and everything else.

Always amazes me we have fans who travel from as far as Norway to watch us.

OTBC

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="1st-timer_Norwich"]I will shave and shower , and do my best not to offend any locals :-)  If any of you see 2 ppl talking a bit strange english and smiling it is prob us :-)[/quote]If you''re smiling I''d imagine you''ll be very easy to spot! [;)][/quote]

LOL!  On sat we all will be smiling and cheering :)

[quote user="Nolly"]

Just wanted to wish you good luck on your visit and I hope you have a great time with the game and everything else.

Always amazes me we have fans who travel from as far as Norway to watch us.

OTBC

[/quote]Thanks!

Don''t forget to pack your Houghton Out banner and practice moaning about tactics, negativity, pressing the ball and setting up to draw.

Remember the rule of thumb:

If we win, we got lucky/the players ignored the manager/the opposition were on the beach.

If we lose, Hughton set us up wrong/Hughton picked the wrong players/Hughton instructed the players to pass the ball badly/Hughton advised the players to offer no movement/Hughton told the players we were going to lose and to try and keep the score down/The players didn''t try/Hughton strictly forbade anyone from attacking or shooting

Basically, good things are in spite of Hughton, bad things are because of him. It''s not that long ago that this was the train of thought around Delia Smith - perhaps make sure that only the "Out!!" bit of your banner is permanent. An interchangeable first section would allow you to have Chase/Worthington/Delia/Doherty/Andy Hughes/Gunn/Hughton/Snodgrass/Calderwood/McNally or whatever/whoever is the latest on the list.

Of course all that is sarcastic, I hope you and your Father really enjoy your day, Norwich win and that you take away some lasting memories. I just hope that the lasting memories aren''t of middle aged men that should know better moaning and arguing amongst themselves because we aren''t playing like the 1970s dutch team, Brazil of 1970, Barcelona of 2011 or like we did under Lambert in League One.

If we do lose, I''d advise getting as far from the ground and crowd as possible and staying off this messageboard for at least a week.

[quote user="1st-timer_Norwich"]Me and my father is visiting Norwich City 4 first time any tips for where to go pre match and after?  or other things we need to know ?My father is 40 year Norwich City supporter and we are traveling from Norway. Best regards from Norway[/quote]Do some sight-seeing instead and save yourself a lifetimes pain[;)].

I hope that you have a great time 1st Timer. Don''t worry, this board does not reflect what most people are like in Norwich - we are a friendly bunch!

I am coming with my bud in March for a first match. So please report on everything including hotel, restaurants, sites, pubs....

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]1st timer, whereabouts are you sitting ?[/quote]The tickets are bought tru a norwegian site whith hotel and match tickets, so dont know any more than its in home supporter zone.  in norway i am from south tip near Kristiansand city

Time for a trip rapport :-)

We had a super trip! my father and me, first we arrived at Holliday inn and the hotel was very nice, friendly staff.

We took some pints at Fat cat and canary friday evenin, very nice place.

Saturday it was up early and we go to the stadium around 10, and was at Yellows, good atmosfere and

again everybody so friendly and nice.

Match was though, and as we all know went bad, good possession fotball, but should have scored..

After match we went to a mexican place i think in riverside, met a really friendly local man who had worked in norway talked a long time and he was such a great man!

later we went to Toomland and the Edith Carvelle i think it was called. very nice place!

visited a sushi place in toombland and it was the best sushi we ever had! and the friendly vaitor gave my father a signed teddybear of Ricky Van Woolfvinkle! My father was soo happy and it was so special! allso met a norweegian couple who was there for the match, and they were involved in the scandinavian canarys very friendly!

Sunday it was Fat Cat at nelson, great old pub and so friendly staff and locals!

We have never been so nice greeted in any place then Norwich! everybody we met was nice and no problems anywhere! you norwich locals should be proud of your lovely city and great people!

We will come again for sure!

Thanks Norwich!

DONT go into the Complete Angler, should be obvious by the noise and "wrong" shirts that its the away pub.Coach and Horses, , Murderers, The Mischief, Fat Cat and Canary the Nelson all worth drinking at.