Sign in to follow this  
ThatGirlFromNJ

Open letter to chris Hughton from an American fan.

Dear Mr. Hughton,

I am a loyal fan from New Jersey, USA. I have been watching football for only about 8 months, and readily admit that I have much to learn about the sport. However, what I have seen, thus far, has been less than inspiring. I do, however, feel quite qualified to offer you some choice advice concerning your decisions as manager of Norwich City Football Club.

Let me begin my critique by pointing out the obvious: to win a game, one must play on the offensive more than the defensive. However, I do realize that this must seem a less than obvious strategy, as you rarely play a hard offensive line. I have observed your consistent choice to play only your defensive players. The result is that Norwich players hardly reach the final third of their opponent’s half. This, quite clearly, means that a goal by Norwich City is highly unlikely from the beginning! When they do manage to overcome this foresight in your management skills, the result is one of shock and awe, often most strongly exhibited by the players on the pitch themselves, as they have no idea what to do with the ball. Don’t get me wrong, I have seen Norwich make some wonderful plays. This, however, has been when they were allowed to play offence.

My biggest qualm is that, due to your aforementioned strategy, Norwich players are often left playing defence when they have nothing to defend! How ridiculous! For example, in today’s (14 Sept.) most recent game against Tottenham, at the back end of the second half, Norwich was down 2-nill, yet you still insisted on almost no offensive plays! What did you have to lose? By choosing to forego a change in strategy, we had already lost the game. The only way to have a chance at even one goal would be to play like we were trying to score one! At that point, I was trying to decide which teams players you were trying to benefit from your managing choices; certainly not Norwich! Or maybe you do not realize that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results.

I mean no disrespect. This intention of this letter is to simply point out the flaws in your decisions that you so blatantly refuse to acknowledge and to hold you accountable to your responsibilities as manager. I suggest you reconsider one of two things: 1) Your future choices as manager, or 2) your resignation.

Sincerely,

Pissed-Off Spectator

P.S. I apologize for my Americanisms. I will gladly translate should the need arise.

I only read the first thing you said; to win you must play more offensively than defensively. this is false, if you look at villa for example, they have just lost their 3rd game in a row.

I think there are some good points from someone who is a newcomer to supporting the canaries. Hughton tried to defend when we could have brought on attackers to try and get something!

At least the comments are constructed well and not one off stupid remarks.

[quote user="alartz"]It''s even being noticed across the Atlantic now.

Come on McNally I trust in you. Acted now!

Get rid of houghton now.

Spent all this money to make no improvements.[/quote]

*Hughton

Open letter to other fans from a Finnish fan.

Could we make only 1 anti Hughton thread after the game.

It is more frustrating to watch 20 threads about same topic to pop out in few hours than look us lose games and I cant describe how frustrating it is to lose a game..

Hughton, tried to defend the choices he made today by stating that too much offece leaves you vulnerable, but he played no offence. Again, my point.

Haha, I can assure you I am an American. I watch live stream and have been doing so for roughly the last 8 months, aside from summer break, of course.

A good, well reasoned post, i am fed up with people moaning with no basis or solution.

Today however is not a day to bemoan our lack of ambition away from home, Spurs are a top side and the tactic should always have been go for 0-0 with a chance of nicking a goal.

This does massively apply to the Hull game though.

I only hope you watch our home games as well mate, we were fantastic against Southampton and pretty good versus Everton.

[quote user="ThatGirlFromNJ"]Hughton, tried to defend the choices he made today by stating that too much offece leaves you vulnerable, but he played no offence. Again, my point.

Haha, I can assure you I am an American. I watch live stream and have been doing so for roughly the last 8 months, aside from summer break, of course.[/quote]Absolute nonsense. He didn''t TRY to defend.We simply had no choice against what turned out to be a better team on top form. If you are unable to hold up the ball in your opponents half your attacking play will be severely restricted and that''s what happened today. The holding midfielders seldom had time or space to initiate an attack. because they were forced back on top of their defence. In England we call it being outplayed.

We set up to defend deep - which is not a bad tactic if when you get the ball you can either

(A) get forward quickly and create a goal scoring opportunity

Or

(B) keep possession whilst moving to create chances

We appear unable to do either resulting in 90 minutes of defending. We need to improve our passing and movement - which frankly was as good with our League 1 players as with our million pound signings.

Nice to see posts from more fans, with differing opinions.

My point is that whether out played or not, while some defence is important for obvious reasons, Hughton repeatedly chooses to restrict the amount of offensive plays. Who knows what would have happened if he had tried to attack a little more? The answer is no one, because he didn''t. At the back end of the second half, he brought on more defenders but we were already losing the game at that point! What, exactly, was he defending? If we lost today simply because we were "outplayed" what is his excuse for ALL the other games we lose,especially the ones that should have been in the bag form the outset? If we are that out matched in this league, than maybe he has just, in fact, knocked us to the level of relegation. If you argument is correct, than we dont deserve to be in the premier league. Obviously I dont agree with that. I think we need to start playing like we want to win, not like we are the losing team from the beginning.

I felt embarrassed when you claimed you are qualified to tell CH how to manage now you''ve got 8 months minus the off-season of viewing.

It''s that kind of stupidly pointless bravado that makes people resent Americans. I get tired of defending against it when it''s undeserved, but in this case I welcome my PinkUn family to pile on.

[quote user="ThatGirlFromNJ"]My point is that whether out played or not, while some defence is important for obvious reasons, Hughton repeatedly chooses to restrict the amount of offensive plays. Who knows what would have happened if he had tried to attack a little more? The answer is no one, because he didn''t. At the back end of the second half, he brought on more defenders but we were already losing the game at that point! What, exactly, was he defending? If we lost today simply because we were "outplayed" what is his excuse for ALL the other games we lose,especially the ones that should have been in the bag form the outset? If we are that out matched in this league, than maybe he has just, in fact, knocked us to the level of relegation. If you argument is correct, than we dont deserve to be in the premier league. Obviously I dont agree with that. I think we need to start playing like we want to win, not like we are the losing team from the beginning.[/quote]

Well I''ve been watching football and NCFC in particular for over 60 years so forgive me if I seem to dismiss you points so swiftly.Firstly bringing on an attacking player doesn''t mean that you will necessarily attack more. You have to be able to gain control of the ball in your opponents half and retain it long enough to be able to work a shooting chance. This we were unable to do. Simply bringing on Hooper and Pilkington and taking off 2 defenders is not going to cut it. CH brought on Howson for Johno in an attempt to get some more traction in mid field and obviously Tetty came on to try to win more of the ball. It didn''t work simply because Spurs were better at ball retention and better at pressing when they lost the ball.And we did you ever get the idea that ANY game in the Premier league can be counted as points in the bag? This isn''t the NFL, there is no attempt by the authorities to equal out talent throughout the league. NCFC are a small fish in a big pond and ANY success we gain ALWAYS has to be hard earned.

sorry you felt embarrassed, but Im sure that everyone is well aware that I dont represent all American opinions. I represent my own. This isnt a popularity contest and I wish people would focus their comments on the points I made in the original post rather than on me.

That main point is this: There should have been more offensive tactics employed in this game (and in all games). Defence is important, but only works for wins when balanced with attacks. You simply cannot win a game from your own end of the pitch.

[quote user="ThatGirlFromNJ"]Dear Mr. Hughton,

I am a loyal fan from New Jersey, USA. I have been watching football for only about 8 months[/quote]Yes, your loyalty after a whole eight months really shines through this half-witted piece of trolling nonsense.

[quote user="ThatGirlFromNJ"]sorry you felt embarrassed, but Im sure that everyone is well aware that I dont represent all American opinions. I represent my own. This isnt a popularity contest and I wish people would focus their comments on the points I made in the original post rather than on me.

That main point is this: There should have been more offensive tactics employed in this game (and in all games). Defence is important, but only works for wins when balanced with attacks. You simply cannot win a game from your own end of the pitch.[/quote]You can, go and watch Sunderland v Man City last season and tell me I''m wrong. This isn''t the NFL, field position and time of possession may be very important in some sports but in soccer, not so much.

A well thought out and presented post from the OP but she will soon earn that criticising the great Hoots on here is not accepted.

I would add that I find the rudeness dished out to our American friends on this board totally embarrassing

Yep easy on the criticism of our American guest! She is only given her observations over a period of time. Just like other people give there''s. I''d much rather read comments from a newbie fan then read some of the filthy language our supposed life long fans use. We all have different opinions some just need to tone it down.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="ThatGirlFromNJ"]sorry you felt embarrassed, but Im sure that everyone is well aware that I dont represent all American opinions. I represent my own. This isnt a popularity contest and I wish people would focus their comments on the points I made in the original post rather than on me.

That main point is this: There should have been more offensive tactics employed in this game (and in all games). Defence is important, but only works for wins when balanced with attacks. You simply cannot win a game from your own end of the pitch.[/quote]You can, go and watch Sunderland v Man City last season and tell me I''m wrong. This isn''t the NFL, field position and time of possession may be very important in some sports but in soccer, not so much.[/quote]

Maybe after watching longer, I will agree more readily with your assessment. Obviously, my viewpoints are heavily influenced by my knowledge of the NFL. But I also understand that these are in fact two different games. And, again, I say that I am learning more about those differences. But I also know that I am not alone in my stance that more offence is necessary. I just dont see how CH thinks that we stand a chance of scoring, when he is playing more players, whose primary goal is defence. Strikers will be more apt to look for opportunities to score. This opinion is one that I have formed by watching most of the games in which the only side of the pitch with any recurring action, is the one in which OUR goal keeper defends.