Sign in to follow this  
Reverend Timothy Smallpiece

Our Finidi George

Thorny. Yours is a great post and I hope you venture here more regularly.

Do you think there is much more scope for the feeding to improve just like it took a while for the defence last year? It''s four games now. Well four for the Wolf and Redmond, three for Fer, one for Elmander and none for Hooper.

Thanks!

It''s the middle 3rd which needs tweaking - we have the players but a blend of attack and support. Love to say the days of Holt/Francis, Megson, Williams and Phelan. I think Fer will fall into that and make it his own when CH finds the right balance there. Who will he work best with, is he better further up or back? I think in a way he could play up front with Tettey behind or back with Wes or hate to say it Howson in front of.

Little bit of a hint Johnson in his way in my opinion but open to debate.

That is where I believe I fault lies - get the midfield settled/blending - decent wingers but need to win, hold and pass. Dictate from the middle. Again - Phelan, Williams, Megson eras. May be the modern game but could be our way of playing still.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Its clear for all to see that RVW has yet to really get upto speed with The Premier League, particularly in terms of work rate...[/quote]This is the stupidest thing I''ve read on the forum all week.The guy almost passed out on the pitch at the end of the Southampton game, if there is ONE thing you can''t criticise the Wolf for it''s his work rate.

Yes I''m gobsmacked at anyone criticising RVW for his work rate. In all the games so far he''s run constantly but just had minimal service from his team mates. And there''s the rub. -as the OP says, he''s barely touched the ball. Which is not his fault. We need to get the ball to him much more often

The OP doesn''t seem to realise that it''s impressive RVW has scored and come close on several occasions, despite "hardly touching the ball" which demolishes his Finidi Geofge comparison from his club.

Laughable.

We have some ridiculous fans... I often joke that even season ticket holders do not know who we play next etc. ridiculous.

Rvw is absolute class, he is a Dutch international forward, who has produced in two European leagues, he has had the training through his whole career and guidance to be a top forward for many years to come. He clearly is a player who is above many in our squad and I wish from now on he becomes selfish as he will realise that those around him are not capable of putting the right return pass to him, or go past that man for the cross to the near post etc.

He will make our other players better but rvw is utter class and actually, as when Ashton was here and we signed the likes of Andy Hughes, Peter Thorne and Jason Jarrett, he is surrounded by some very poor players in comparison. That is not a mark on those players but it shows the levels above this man is to players such as Johnson, tettey, Howson, Elliot Bennett etc.

We are still building a squad and when we get players to come in alongside rvw, hooper, fer, bassong and ruddy to have really top class players on all 11 positions.

Rvw is top quality and I look forward to us getting the most out of this talented footballer.

It was illuminating to watch Swansea''s marque summer signing against Valencia last night. Worked his socks off, instrumental in his team''s many up-field forays, scored a cracking goal. And we have little Ricky. They cost similar sums but I know which one I''d rather have...

There endeth the lesson.

I felt personally, that despite the well documented mis-firing forwards last season that the problem was always in midfield. RVW has looked far less effective than Holt, proving that the problem was further up-stream. We were terrible in terms of retaining the ball and being able to convert defence into attack last season, hence we ended up defensive. Hughton may not play defensive tactics, but without midfielders capable of rapidly turning defence into attack, this is what it turns into. With better all round midfielders in the middle, the Hughton approach would probably not end up so limmiting. The problem for me has always been centre midfield and to blame the strikeforce is just too simplistic. The Wolf has no supply, and neither did Holt last year. Our biggest hole and main transfer priorty was central midfield. We got half the job done with Fer, but he needs a quality partner to make Hughtons system work

I think some people are very quick to make a judgement on a player. He''s only played 4 games in a new league. RVW is a tricky player, relying on his runs to get his goals. He was never going to instantly shine. Very few foreign forwards start off brilliantly. You only have to look at Drogba and, more recently, Giroud. They had very average first seasons for them to then make a big step the following years. It takes a while to fit into a new system and for your teammates to know when/where you are going to make a run. All of this takes time. I know people are going to use Michu as an example of someone who did shine straight away but he plays in a more withdrawn position. He also plays for a team that spends more time with the ball than without, making it easier to have an impact on the game.You cannot possibly judge him after 4 games? People probably find me mad but any international player needs to be given at least a season before really being judged? Especially in the final 3rd positions which is where the more complex movements take place, where team cohesion is essential.

RvWs class is all to clear.   His movement is a class above anything we have seen at club since Ashton if not earlier,  and he is creating space for himself.    When the opponents have the ball he is working the line hard and making challenges.

Sadly this has been a problem for well over a year, and at danger of over repeating others comments ,  we currently have not found the right mix players and attacking intent to get the ball to him.   He has looked dangerous when he gets the ball in the box - it just has not happened enough.

Find that magic mix in midfield and pass and move with better accuracy and tempo and we will create chances that Ricky will finish.

As far as teh comparison with Bony is concerned the only attribute that Bony is better at is power in the air.   RvWs movement is as good if not better and I would be confident that RvW would have scored as many goals had he been in swanseas team.

Our midfield has the ability (Snodgrass, Elmander, Wes, Pilks & Redmond) are all talented creative footballers - getting them higher up the pitch while allowing Fer, Tettey & Howson to keep the midfield secure what we need to resolve.   At the moment we have a sniper in position with his rifle, but the bullets are still in the factory because the delivery and logistics teams have failed to click.    We will get there with the players we have. 

The OP is clearly just on here making mischief.

Thorny called me delusional last week (glad to see you''re still here! and apologies for being rather zealous with my citicisms Thorney! Nice post on this thread by the way!), however the OP really is on another planet!

RvW is a class act!  Put him in the Swansea set up and he would have scored 3 or 4 at least so far this season!  Swansea are a very creative side and will always give their strikers chances and plenty of them.  We are no where near as creative and thus Ricky will struggle no matter what he does.

On McVeigh and Butler yesterday, the stat was given that RvW so far has received just 6 passes in the opposition box.  That''s 1 1/4 passes per game.  Any striker would find it exceptionally hard to score goals with that sort of service!

Feed the Wolf and he will score! And the Wolf will chase away the Rev Troll!

Snake

Haha this thread is a joke, we are all pretty much in agreement the issue is still with our midfield and the lack of chances we seem capable of creating. RVW is a cracking player but he''s never going to score if we only create a chance a game for him.

To suggest he is a dud is to go against not only the City scouting team, Hughton, various pundits but also the selectors for the Dutch national team. It''s very rare for a player to move to a new club abroad and immediately show the finished article of what they can do.... Or at least not with players in our price range.

I remember Iwan had a slow start with us...

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Just 6 passes so far fed to RVW in the opposition''s box! That''s extremely poor isn''t it?

Did we buy him as a PR gimmick?...

[/quote]That''s his fault is it?!

Yet one of the few players we have that has a vision for a pass is regularly ignored. Still, never mind ... at least Brad and Alex can kick lumps out of the opposition after their wayward passes.

Baffled that Fox is still here to be honest.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Just 6 passes so far fed to RVW in the opposition''s box! That''s extremely poor isn''t it?

Did we buy him as a PR gimmick?...

[/quote]

Less than two per game tells its own story.

How many in the final third and central would be another interesting stat.

I realise it is an uncomfortable truth but...

I think many, many contributors to, and readers of, this forum harbour doubts about Ricky. He could turn out to be an eye-wateringly expensive flop.

Those who blindly leap to his defence may be sticking their heads in the sand. If we had picked him up on a free, he would have been subbed in every match. His contribution is negligible. His price tag means his starting berth is sacrosanct... for now. I have a feeling Hooper is going to steal his thunder.

The Lord moves in mysterious ways.

Some of us are prepared to give the guy time, Mungo. If or when he gets decent service then we''ll see the making of the man. I personally thought that he was one of our only decent players at Spurs, but got no help from his colleagues or the ref.

I swear he could score 30 goals this season and some would still find something to slate him for

The jury is well and truly still out but I''m becoming gradually more and mre worried by lack of goals.

Finidi? Too early to say but therell be a few more pant wetters after that

Oh... I smell a whiff of bin about this chaps. I think the Reverend might hail from somewhere across the Waveney or even from Chantry. I wouldn''t take too much notice of him. He will soon be telling us about the Fairs Cup or the FA cup just after The Royal Engineers had their day. Amen .

Lay off RVW! He done fuck all wrong! We had hardly any service going towards him and saying he''s gonna be a flop? It''s his 5th game in the premier league, you look at how we''ve played and you blame him? At least he tries! I''d understand if he stood on halfway line and ran in straight lines like Steve Morison! Give him time! Maybe if we play hoolahan we might create a bit more! Also I think we should play hooper and RVW! Will give us something else instead of crappy 4-2-3-1! It doesn''t work, for us anyway

I believe that ricky is a class player, who will prove his worth in this barclays premier league by putting in lots of goals. But we have to be wary of the opposition and make sure we can hold our ground against them.

Reverend Timothy Smallpiece wrote the following post at 21/09/2013 7:04 PM:

I''m no statistician but I think Steve Morison probably had a better Premiership strike rate than one goal every 450 minutes (and counting). And he wasn''t the most expensive player in the club''s history ...

The Lord moves in mysterious ways!

Wow, shut up! Everybody slated Morison of how lazy he was, at least RVW isn''t lazy! How many chances did Morison miss? And I forgot Morison came from a different style of football pal!