Sign in to follow this  
Reverend Timothy Smallpiece

Our Finidi George

Sitting in the Old Rectory, writing tomorrow''s sermon whilst watching a stream of our shambolic performance against Spurs I can''t help but wonder if we have inherited something unwanted from that lot down the A140. Vis a vis, we have splashed the cash unwisely.

A few years ago, following a rather improbably high premiership finish, Ipswich loosened the purse strings. Their marque signing was Finidi George. No one had heard of him but he promised to be brilliant. He was useless. The question I''m pondering is this - is Ricky our Finidi George? One bullet header apart, he has barely touched the ball.

Have we been sold a wolf pup? Is he the reincarnation of the original wolf? Ulf the Wolf scored one goal (Bramell Lane, if memory serves) and we all know how good he turned out to be.

We also, all know what happened to  Ipswich the season they splashed the cash.

The Lord moves in mysteriou ways.

[quote user="Reverend Timothy Smallpiece"]

Sitting in the Old Rectory, writing tomorrow''s sermon whilst watching a stream of our shambolic performance against Spurs I can''t help but wonder if we have inherited something unwanted from that lot down the A140. Vis a vis, we have splashed the cash unwisely.

A few years ago, following a rather improbably high premiership finish, Ipswich loosened the purse strings. Their marque signing was Finidi George. No one had heard of him but he promised to be brilliant. He was useless. The question I''m pondering is this - is Ricky our Finidi George? One bullet header apart, he has barely touched the ball.

Have we been sold a wolf pup? Is he the reincarnation of the original wolf? Ulf the Wolf scored one goal (Bramell Lane, if memory serves) and we all know how good he turned out to be.

[/quote]Lets hope this silly overreaction doesn''t happen every time we lose a game.

[quote user="Reverend Timothy Smallpiece"]

[/quote]Pray harder and you will see the light

Facepalm. Give him service and he''ll be alright - I''d look further back in the field first before comparing to that clown Town got in.

My fear is that having spent so much on the wolf, CH is now scared stiff to drop or even substitute him. Probably has McNasty reminding him of the exact cost everyday. I would give Hooper the nod for Villa, lets see what he can do. And it will give Ricky tome to think about what, or, mores the point, what he hasn''t done.

The Lord moves in mysterious ways.

Finidi George was an old has-been who signed after a pretty impressive career, hardly unknown.

RVW is currently on course for 9/10 goals at this rate. Even if he doesn''t do well, he''s not on as much as Finidi George was and will flop for entirely different reasons than being old, disinterested and slow.

Its clear for all to see that RVW has yet to really get upto speed with The Premier League, particularly in terms of work rate and physically, he really frustrated me today even through my usual green and yellow tinted specs.......BUT, this is no Finid George situation............he needs time, he is a young player new to this league which is a step up for him and he will GET IT...in the meantime we now have Hooper who will certainly share the load!!!    

Yes, I think the standard of defending is way beyond anything RVW''s used to. But I believe he is an intelligent player & will learn.

Not so sure about Hooper. But obviously judgement is on hold till he plays!

--- Highland Canary: RvW is struggling with the physical presence of PL centre halfs. Perhaps we therefore need to change tactics.

If we were planning to lump it upfield, we shouldn''t have signed RvW. I noticed in the 2nd half he started tracking back to get involved in the play more. It is going to be a long hard season for him, or anyone else who plays as our lone frontman.

Finidi George was an old has been who apparently was actually older than the age he said he was!

Different scanario to the young and up and coming Wolfswinkel!

I think he''d be alright in a decent team who gives him lots of chances but his is Norwich and he is living off very limited scraps!

We could have the best centre forward in the world (whoever he is?) and he would struggle to do much in our team at present!

On the strength of what I have seen so far of van Wolfswinkel this boy is quaulity & to compare him with Finidi George is pure mischief by the OP.  Perhaps the OP has not actually watched van Wolfswinkel play?The boy has had no service from our midfield who seem to have absolutely no idea on how to get the ball to him in a threating area & definately no idea on how to put a quality cross into the box!  Lumping hopeful long balls up to him is not the way it turns that pass into a 50-50 contest at best with the defender.  That clearly is not his game.I think Bale or Messi would have struggled to look good in our team today.  I can''t help wonder what Chris Hughton said to him before he signed because based on what I''ve seem so far I think that sales pitch would have got a standing ovation in the Dragon Den!!  But seriously surely we have to give the chap more than 3 games before we start writing him off?OTBC

I think the main trouble is our team doesn''t know how to get the best out of RvW as yet. Certainly the odd ball lumped up to his head isn''t his game and tbh i feel sorry for him, he must be wondering what he''s let himself in for.

Against Southampton he was looking to make runs off the CB and never got the service, either our wingers just run with it or when it does go forward its at his head. As for yesterday, no service and no support makes it a lonely role

"I can''t help wonder what Chris Hughton said to him before he signed"not a lot I would have thoughtall that sort of stuff is done by the scouting network, then the board

For christs sake RVW has not received a pass in a forward position in any of the 3 games I have seen except Whittakers mishit shot from which he scored a superb header. Any forward with that service is not going to look impressive. No service from the wings for RVW to benefit Redmond ignored him to hit side netting against Saints. Ricky looked frustrated at Spurs and began to come deep to try to find the ball the midfield were failing to supply. We need to find a way to feed the Wolf and he will score.

[quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Perhaps, those who criticised Holt will now appreciate the constraints under which he was operating last season.[/quote]

I love this post. I''m making it my signature...
[/quote]

Ditto - i was screaming this exact point whilst reading this dumb ass post. Bless you Highland.

Spoke to some fans this week and their opinion is they don''t like the wolf. Nutshell "He doesn''t do much". Asked if they saw the away games they moaned about? Only on MOTD. Highlights program - end of debate.

One went into one saying put Hooper on and lump the ball to him - as I pointed out the midfield were not winning enough v Spurs to supply. You could lump the ball to anyone, if we could win the ball against a strong spurs team at home on fire. It''s not RVW at fault.

He has quality, he splits defenders, he runs, he''s not being fed. Hooper will be the same but probably sit further back in the play but get up when needed - two different players but both need the ball in the first place to have the shots.

It''s tactics in the middle against differing teams which is hurting us away from home. I think Hull & Spurs in the middle should of been the other way around to get some result...but I''m not the manager.

End of line, it''s not RVW the issue but the build up to feeding who is in the final 3rd - just like last year.