Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Callum Wilson

Yes i know we''re this all conquering international force that should only buy millionaire players, but the aforementioned lad in the title is 21 years old, has 8 goals in 6 games, say by Christmas he has 20 goals, would he be worth a gamble? He''d cost no more than £2m and could prove a valuable addition.

Anyone else from league 1 and 2 worth keeping an eye on? (not including Cody Mac and Jamie lad)

No... If young players are coming in they can come from our youth team. We need first team players to add to our great acquisitions this summer. That means Europe and maybe the odd premiership team. We have a lot to do to our squad afraid this is not a player we should look at next window, next summer. We have a long way to go

I think we are beginning to move away from the worth a gamble type player and are now in the world of proven established players as that is what the Sky fortunes now allow us to do.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I think we are beginning to move away from the worth a gamble type player and are now in the world of proven established players as that is what the Sky fortunes now allow us to do.[/quote] Not quite correct there Til. Of the £5bn the PL will receive for the next three years only £2.28bn is Sky money. Overseas sales contribute £2bn of that money. Sky''s position (percentage is diminishing with each new round of rights sale).Might seem pedantic given your point was really about how the increased income is now directing our player acquisitions. However far too many fans are not aware of how much the income is now coming from abroad - and what the likely impact of that could be.

I would like us to still buy young British players, as it enables them to play the way you want from the start as well as helping out the home nation teams. It also adds another revenue stream for the club as long as you can sell them on for a profit.

I live in Coventry so have been to a fair few games. I''ve seen a fair bit of Callum Wilson. What I can say is that he certainly is the real deal - pace to burn and hunger for goals.

That said, he''s a little wet behind the ears. Yes he''s had a good start but its a different story on whether he can sustain that form. Not worth looking at right now.

Plus Coventry City are stumped for cash - I doubt it would take as much as 2m to prise him away.

A better bet would be Cyrus Christie - a target for a few championship clubs. Excellent going forward. Have watched him progress for a few years now and he''s yards ahead of any in that team and league.

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="TIL 1010"]I think we are beginning to move away from the worth a gamble type player and are now in the world of proven established players as that is what the Sky fortunes now allow us to do.[/quote]

Not quite correct there Til.

Of the £5bn the PL will receive for the next three years only £2.28bn is Sky money. Overseas sales contribute £2bn of that money. Sky''s position (percentage is diminishing with each new round of rights sale).

Might seem pedantic given your point was really about how the increased income is now directing our player acquisitions. However far too many fans are not aware of how much the income is now coming from abroad - and what the likely impact of that could be.

[/quote]

Interesting City 1st. How do you see the (say the next 5 years) future panning out re this? As in , do you see Sky getting edged out (by the ikes of BTSport [on a very small scale at mo], plus overseas increasing investment etc). Will Sky increase their £s input to keep a large % of the market, will that mean Sky subscribers forking out more, or do you think they may be happy with their (percentage) lot? 

The cost of showing a Premier League game in the UK — £6.53m in 2013 — will be 10 times more than when it launched in 1992.

1992-1997: BSkyB, 60 games of the season, £190m — deal value is £633,000 per game

1997-2001: BSkyB, 60 games, £670m, £2.79m per game

2001-2004: BSkyB, 110 games, £1.2bn, £3.64m per game

2004-2007: BSkyB, 138 games, £1.024bn, £2.47m per game

2007-2010: BSkyB/Setanta, 138 games, £1.706bn, £4.12m per game

2010-2013: BSkyB/ESPN 138 games, £1.782bn, £4.3m per game

2013-2016: BSkyB/BT 154 games, £3.018bn, £6.53m per game

The trend seems to be going up?

In the last round of overseas rights sales, for 2010-13, the League earned £1.437bn from all foreign broadcasters combined.

But overseas deals for 2013-16 will

surge past £2bn in value, which, when added to domestic deals for live

rights (£3bn from Sky and BT), Match of the Day highlights (£178m from

the BBC) and near-live rights and internet rights (still to be sold),

means the League will earn a mouthwatering £5.5bn from broadcasting

during that three-season period.

That money, less the League''s running costs, will be shared out among the 20 clubs who make up the top tier of English football.

And when the new deals kick in next

season, even the club who end up bottom of the Premier League in 2014

will receive a £60m payout from the TV money, while the champions will

pocket £100m.

The Premier

League''s success in selling their product around the world has already

put them on top of football''s global earners, and this new deal will

widen the gap on their closest rivals.

While

the Premier League currently pulls in £479m a year from overseas

broadcasting, La Liga in Spain get £132m, Italy''s Serie A £74m and

Germany''s Bundesliga just £50mFor the next three seasons we will be getting an insane amount of money, if invested properly this club can/will go far.And an out look toward the future, the domestic TV income may stagnate or slightly reduce but I can not see the foreign TV revenue decreasing any time soon  which of course will plug up the revenue lost if there is one.

I follow Cov pretty closely since most of my family are from there and Callum Wilson has been good for literally a month.

Good potential - yes. but good signing - no way. Everyone''s banging them in at Cov atm - not just him - and Callum has nowhere near proved himself enough to even be considered by a premier league club.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I wonder if we should sign him still...[/quote]He didnt want to come here at the start of the season why should he want to come now

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I wonder if we should sign him still...[/quote]He didnt want to come here at the start of the season why should he want to come now

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I wonder if we should sign him still...[/quote]Do you really need to dig up a thread this old to give yourself a very foolish pat on the back?!It''s pretty moronic if you ask me.