Sign in to follow this  
CDMullins

Redmond in that No.10 role?

Could Redmond fit that No.10 role?

Sharp, Pacy, intelligent player, with a good strike. Should he mature and develop he could well be a England International.

Would also enable us to play both Pilks and Snoddy.

I see Redmond being used in rotation with Pilks and Snoddy and possibly in the No. 10 role depending on who we manage to get in.

He could learn a lot from Wes about convverting from the wing then. I''d still like to see Quagliarella, it''d top off the perfect transfer window.

Behind a 2 yes but Fox would be better behind 1. Not suggesting it but passing is huge for whoever plays there- feeding wide or through the middle. If you can add firepower and hold up play in that role you have a winner- pace is wasted there IMO.

Quag is the man for the role if you ask me.

Hughton did seem to make special effort in the announcment of Redmond that he can play centrally - will be interesting to see if he is played there. Bennett was played there a couple of times by Lambert, to great effect in the Swansea away game, but it never seemed to stick for him.

Putting Redmond central would limit the usefulness of his pace a little bit, but is certainly an option.

Yeah but being pacey doesn''t make you better in that role. I think he will be better suited out wide at first. Also not sure he is nearly intelligent enough.

In terms of future England international I think he is a bit off that yet. Considering the depth England have on the wings.

When he said he worked under hughton last he had his best performances, because he was given freedom and an opportunity to express himself. Think it will be quite similar here. He looked pretty awesome cutting in against timbers. Huckerbyesk even!

Controversially I think Hooper is going to fit the no 10 role.

A lot of his goals for Celtic were created by dropping deep into an attacking midfield role. Can see him being the link between Fer and RvW

I can see Hooper and RVW swapping in game doing both roles, making it hard for them to be marked. Hooper commented that a lot of his best work at Celtic was with Stokes doing that.

Not sure he would use his pace fully if he played behind RvW, or even that he has the touch to lay on balls for the striker. I think that he could do more damage by popping up all over the place and causing mayhem.

He certainly is impressive, and with experience will get even better.

[quote user="Salopian"]

Not sure he would use his pace fully if he played behind RvW, or even that he has the touch to lay on balls for the striker. I think that he could do more damage by popping up all over the place and causing mayhem.

He certainly is impressive, and with experience will get even better.

[/quote]According to Celtic fans he doesn''t have much space, just very good intelligence and positional sense to make the right runs at the right time. Something that suits both the off the shoulder role and dropping deep

I also think that Redmond will play primarily on the wings, as an impact sub initially and then perhaps in rotation. IMO, the front players will shift about more to confuse the defence. Wes is better in the hole, where his short passing game is best suited, though I do think Hooper might also play that role, but more as a second striker.

Redmond was compared on SSN as a carbon copy of Theo Walcott... out and out winger, who''s strengths in the future may force him to pursue a career through the middle of the park.

Not my thoughts, but I think I agree!

Thierry Henry played upfront as a youngster. It was more returning him to his original position. Great move from Wenger but not quite the same as moving Redmond. Nor does it mean it would work now

I think Fer could end up in the number 10 role. He played there for Holland in the U21 championships and did well. He would also add some much needed height further forward as without Holt or Kamara we look fairly lightweight aerially.

Someone said earlier that Redmond had been compared to Walcott. From the little I''ve seen of him this seems to be a poor comparison - Redmond is a much more technical player. To me his style seems a cross between Aaron Lennon and Oxlade Chamberlain. You can never take these comparisons too far, but If that is proved to be the case and he continues to develop his football brain he could do really well in the number 10 position. (arsenal have tried chamberlain centrally and he always looks dangerous)

Also others saying that pace is wasted in this position. Thats not completely true - a quick explosion of pace in this area is useful for quickly beating a player in a confined area, making half a yard for a shot or getting up quickly to support the striker or even run beyond him. One could argue it may be even more dangerous in these areas - It all depends on a players other talents apart from his pace, if they''ve got an eye for goal or a good footballing brain they will probably thrive centrally. messi and henry moved in from the wing, bale did last year and got a load more goals because of it. Ronaldo spends half his time ending up there anyway and kaka was someone who always used his pace well from behind the striker. So Redmond might be worth a go. You never know until you try - he certainly looks exciting.

Another suggestion - have we ever tried PILKINGTON in that support striker position. He arguably has the best eye for goal from open play out of our midfield, and is fairly technically proficient (good of both feet etc)

Ideally though I''d love another exciting signing in this position though. Finger crossed.

I think the drawback with Pilks would be that you need a bit of toughness to deal with centre backs trying to push up and pick you up in the hole with your back to them. Pilks, as you rightly pointed out is great going at goal with a good long shot and ability with either peg. However, when play gets compressed and develops slowly (as CH prefers) the no 10 has to spend a lot of time playing short passes in confined areas with defenders breathing down their neck. Pilks, for all his good qualities, is no Rambo and tends to pull out of challenges rather easily. Unless CH changes his attacking policy and looks to counter attack I don''t think Pilks would be a success. (Ironically counter-attacking would suit Hooper and RvW more as well).

I thought finishing was Redmond''s weakness? From the You Tube clips I''ve seen he looks a bit powder-puff with his efforts on goal. I hope he''s a more talented winger...

Good points on Pilks. He also has a tendency to drift in and out of games, when you really need someone in there who wants to be on the ball and creating all the time. However i''d still be interested to see it in a friendly though. It might open up another squad option, or an option for players to rotate their position during a game in that final third. As for Redmond''s finishing I haven''t seen enough to call it either way. I''d forgotten on the youtube videos that it didn''t look that impressive, but to be fair to him i''d forgotten because from the bits i''ve seen from the friendlies so far he''s looked like getting goals.

On these boards yesterday i was talking about MAXIME LESTIENNE. He''s a young pacey chap who often plays out wide, but he certainly has an eye for goal as well. I''d love for us to take a good look at him if Quagliarella doesn''t come off. MARIUS ALEXE or KEVIN VOLLAND might be more goal scorers to look out for.