Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

The seeds of success

We deserve the fantastic rewards we are getting for getting to and staying in the premiership, but we do owe a bit to luck, fate, timing, or whatever you want to call it.   Take pre-season 2009, good performances, 8 wins, a draw against MU and the enthusiasm for the task and the  mood was fantastic going into the season. Then the despair at the 1-7.   On top of everything we had put up with since 2004, that was just too much.  Rock bottom.  But.............the seeds were there,  Gunn had put a new squad together - he had to - including Grant Holt.  We had  McNally on board. 

Holt, McNally and the 1-7.  Three things that changed the history of our club.  The worst day anyone could imagine, but if one of those things had been missing, history might have been different.   Lambert then arrived because of the 1-7 and the pieces of the jigsaw were complete.  Success was now our destiny.

Roll on forward on the roller coaster ride we have all been on and we get to the stage of achieving two seasons at the top level, consolidating finances and a windfall which has been timed just right for our club.  So this is fast becoming the most fantastic time for our club anyone has known - and I mean potentially even above the 1985 milk cup, Europe, many promotions and results over the years.   We are still able to carry on that upward turn in our fortunes and who knows where it may take us.     

The 1-7 quite often occurs to me.  I was sitting in the main stand, a few rows up from the away bench where Lambert was shouting and cajoling his team (5-0 up and still egging them on).  It was a quite remarkable occasion to witness - and it was historical.   And it was only four years ago - just four years. 

Here we are in 2013, a strong club with good finances and a squad for next season that is beginning to look very, very good to challenge for the top half of the premiership.  And yet it was only four years ago we were rock bottom, with huge debts, no team to speak of and the promise of worse to come - maybe even administration.  It happened to other clubs in a similar position, after all. 

The 1-7.  A day we should never forget, because look where it has taken us.....................

I didn''t mean this to become like an essay,  but to me its not the facts about things or what may happen in the future.  Its the feeling that you get now, at times like this, when as a fan when you see things happening at your club that appear that what we thought impossible.....might actually be possible.

Roll on the 17th. August.........the roller coaster ride continues.

This story alwaya makes me smile, and it will be one to tell the future canaries for sure! What times we live in :)

How dare you remember the good times - Lake District! - Have you taken leave of your senses and forgotten all the bad times?

You must curb your enthusiasm and get back to thinkin loik a lil ole Narfuk bouy!

One way or nother weel pay for this thear suksess!

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Have you got any original thoughts, or are you a couple of years behind everyone else Bor?[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]

To be fair Bor, he did have the "Hotel" thread. Not original, but at least something he appeared willing to take action on, or so we were told. After that marathon, I felt Lakey might have posted on here a copy of the letter of recommendations that he sent ( allegedly ). I mean, given all the good input that he said he received from numerous posters, that might have been the least that he would have done for those posters. Later, he might have followed up with a response he received from the corporation he contacted ( allegedly ). I mean, after all, several weeks have gone by and...........nothing. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

To be fair Bor, he did have the "Hotel" thread. Not original, but at least something he appeared willing to take action on, or so we were told. After that marathon, I felt Lakey might have posted on here a copy of the letter of recommendations that he sent ( allegedly ). I mean, given all the good input that he said he received from numerous posters, that might have been the least that he would have done for those posters. Later, he might have followed up with a response he received from the corporation he contacted ( allegedly ). I mean, after all, several weeks have gone by and...........nothing. 

[/quote]

Yankee, would you please stop referring to LDC as "Lakey"? It is the nickname of a lesbian character in the Mary McCarthy novel "The Group" (fondly remembered from my childhood) and whenever you do I start getting very confused....[:^)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

Yankee, would you please stop referring to LDC as "Lakey"? It is the nickname of a lesbian character in the Mary McCarthy novel "The Group" (fondly remembered from my childhood) and whenever you do I start getting very confused....[:^)]

[/quote]

Oh, I''m sorry for the confusion. Did she spend a lot of time around hotels?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh, I''m sorry for the confusion. Did she spend a lot of time around hotels?

[/quote]

I think it was more art galleries. That is probably not very helpful.

club owes a lot to mr lambert whether the angsty haters on here like it or notthings are on the way up, but i think it might be some time before we experience the heady days of uefa cup third rounds against inter milan and 3rd place in the premier league again

still, better than Peterborough away 

lets hope mr hughton doesnt screw up with all this investment