Sign in to follow this  
MadDan

What money ?

I''m rather amazed to read people on this board stating that we should sign such and such for a million.

Where on earth do they think this money is coming from ?

We were supposed to be getting and extra £20m for going into the Premiership therefore we will have a budget minus that £20 million now we are relegated. Chuck in the parachute payment and lower wages and it still leaves us £10 - £12 million less.

My suggestion is that the club budgeted for this over three years say, and therefore drew up a budget based on income from one year in the Premier and two years in the Championship then divided it by three.

That allows us to keep ALL our players where required, meet loan payments and all other running cost. I doubt it provided for large transfer fees outside of the premiership though.

The cost of players now is not the transfer fees but the wages. Clubs are all too willing to shift earners off their wage bill when their circumstances dictate. Fees are then acquired subject to those players acvhieving things with the clubs. We paid Peterboro'' when we went up as we would Crewe had we have stayed in the premiership.

So perhaps the idiots clammuring for us to buy all these players might care to tell us where the money is going to come from.

I think it''s rather harsh and rude to call your fellow posters "idiots" MadDan, perhaps it follows that if we do sign somebody for quite a few quid then they wouldn''t be "idiots" at all and the "idiots" would be those who thought otherwise yes ?

By the way most of the "idiots" on this forum can spell clamouring.

[quote]I''m rather amazed to read people on this board stating that we should sign such and such for a million. Where on earth do they think this money is coming from ? We were supposed to be getting and ex...[/quote]

stop being so negative and look forward to next season we dont really need many new players anyway we are coming straight back up.and scum are going to finish seventh next year

we have cleared most of our debts now with this season in prem And with the parachute payments due for the next two years if needed . this will enable us to strengthen our team. ht

[quote]I''m rather amazed to read people on this board stating that we should sign such and such for a million. Where on earth do they think this money is coming from ? We were supposed to be getting and ex...[/quote]

The money for this year must included retained earnings from last years extra money or depending on whether this money has been used to pay debts and wages there is the money from large season ticket sales, merchandising, Delias restaurant!!

And the liklihood of Greens or Francis'' departure looks odds on so there will be this money!!

I''m sure we will have a couple of million to spend!!

I think that some posters are counting the money that''s likely to come in for sales we might make. I can''t help thinking that Francis looks very likely to leave. and that''ll give us a couple of million hopefully (not that he''s been worth it in recent months). Green looks to be staying I hope, but if he should go then he''ll fetch a few bob too.

By that logic Jim if we don''t sign someone ''for a few quid'' then they ARE idiots.As to being ''harsh and rude'' this is a forum for football fans. A bit of robust talk is to be expected. It goes with the passion I would say. No one was personally attacked and I''m sure those referred to as idiots are quite capable of defending their position and that they are not idiots.Yep, I did misspell the word clamouring but I''m grateful for your certainty about how a lack of financial astuteness is always compensated by an excellence in spelling.With all the numerous spellings errors on this board perhaps we need someone to take action.Step forward What Typer to lead the pedants revolt.

[quote]we have cleared most of our debts now with this season in prem And with the parachute payments due for the next two years if needed . this will enable us to strengthen our team. ht[/quote]

We did not use the prem money to clear our debts as the club has previously stated in the local press. Our debts are being paid off over a 10 year period at payments which are affordable whichever division we are in. Seem to remember a couple of years ago that we missed out on Rob Hulse because West Brom had the prem money having just been relegated and we couldn''t compete with them. We should now be in that position and I would be disappointed if we didn''t have at least a couple of million plus any money Worthy raises from player sales.

Given how little we spent on transfer fees when we had an extra £20million it seems extraordinary that we would now, £20million less, be looking to spend millions willy nilly.

Constantly bleating on about who we should buy for such and such amounts of money merely stokes up resentment against the board and the club.
I for one don''t want our club ran like the third world economy down the A140.

Watch what happens there this summer as they put the squeeze on the transfer budget again to cover for years of clueless spending and mismanagement.

[quote]By that logic Jim if we don''t sign someone ''for a few quid'' then they ARE idiots.As to being ''harsh and rude'' this is a forum for football fans. A bit of robust talk is to be expected. It goes with th...[/quote]

I said "quite a few quid", meaning lots.

I never mentioned financial astuteness equating to spelling excellence did I ? Anyway the (Spell Check) button negates the need for that particular talent,  and it costs nothing to use.

I still say it''s out of order to call people idiots whether individually or generally, if you can''t see that well so be it.

Anyway I say we will have a big signing during the summer, so this is Idiot Jim saying goodnight.

I dont agree with your take on the finances MadDan and that does not make me an idiot.

Over 3 seasons the club will receive an overall income boost of roughly £30million-and thats not taking into account soaring ticket and merchandise sales,sponsorship,Delias restuarant,money due from the land sale etc. It is well known that the club was very conservative last season in terms of investment in the team and i would be amazed if the increased costs of transfers and wages were more than £12million or so. That leaves a figure of £18million over the next 2 seasons.

Ok i know this is a very simplistic way of looking at it but as fans it is about the best we can do. Of course there are other costs we can only really guess at-the new infill and pitch will take a reasonable chunk of the above figure i would suppose and wages over the next two seasons will be higher than the season we got promoted, but i still believe there will be a decent surplus which should,and i sincerely hope will,be spent on the team.

West Brom were pretty conservative the first season they went up, came back down and spent a fairly large amount of money to give themselves a good chance of going back up. Their turnover at the time was similar to ours so i think we are going to follow the same route.

[quote]stop being so negative and look forward to next season we dont really need many new players anyway we are coming straight back up.and scum are going to finish seventh next year[/quote]

Yes, ignore the fact that several of our best players wil leave and that the Championship wil be a strong Division next year, blind faith will se us through.....

I don''t think you have thought this out too well Mr Carrow ? You''ve projected £30m plus in extra income over three years yet have only counted one years expenditure on wages and transfer fees.The figure was conservative only in that it was the maximum affordable given the need ensure that all commitments were payable throughout their lifespan. The club took into account all variables and that was the figure that covered all reasonable possibilities.Given that the cost of Ashton''s signing meant dipping into future earnings I cannot see where and how the club will find and justify any future million plus transfers fees. The system is geared that way anymore.Players will go and players will come in. I would suggest that perhaps a bit of caution rather than wild speculation might help us all.

What i am trying to balance,MadDan, is the EXCEPTIONAL income and expenditure that comes from a season in the Prem. Every season,no matter what division,wages have to be paid and the vast majority come out of the normal income of the club (which we know in recent years has been very healthy). One season in the Prem will have more than doubled ordinary income for one season and guaranteed around a 40% boost for the next 2 seasons therefore only exceptional expenditure (higher wages/transfer fees etc) eats into the extra income. I did state that wages over the next 2 seasons would probably be a bit higher than `normal` but as the club has stated that the players are payed on a divisional basis i dont think the figure will be significant.

Do you honestly think all this extra income has been swallowed up already? If so on what or who? Considering that the vast majority of it has not been spent on the team, does this mean that without this extra income the club would now be heading for bankruptsy? As i have said, we cant really know the full picture but so far the figures dont stack up in any way as far as im concerned.

Its served the club very well to plead poverty over the last 8 years or so and in many ways it is a clever way of operating, but if we dont have a reasonable amount of money left to spend out of this massive boost in income (especially as the `ordinary`income tickets/shirts have been doing very well as well) having seemingly spent so little, serious questions need to be asked. Oh, and dont forget we "couldnt afford" Hucks or Ashton-perception and reality are often quite different.

Much of that ''exceptional income'' had already been spent on performance payments triggered by our promotion.We have just spent £8m odd on the new South Stand and another £3m on the infill. Ticket sales contribute a smaller amount of the budget that what appears. They are subject to VAT and also relative stewarding and policing costs.We were running at a trading loss for quite a while. The transfer market has all but collapsed that''s why silly claims of buying players for idiotic sums are just that, idiotic.Yes I do honestly think that " all this extra income has been swallowed up already? " otherwise I would not have said it. Had there been this money rattling around we would have used it to buy Ashton straight out. We might then have been able to buy a decent defender to keep us up.What money the club does have eramarked to add new players will be used to pay higher wages rather than transfer fes. Get used to it. That''s how it is in football now.

The Jarrold stand was added to the debt and is included in the long term payments we are making to clear the debt. The corner infill and the pitch came from the prem money, remember also that 1.2 million of the money for Deano came from supporters not cashing their shares. As I stated in a previous post on this thread we should now be in the position West Brom were in 2 years ago and should therefore be in a position to spend a few bob to get us back up, if not I for one will be surprised and extremely disappointed.