Sign in to follow this  
Winning 25

'Norwich seem to be the standout performers in the transfer market.'

http://www.givemesport.com/362803-norwich-city-set-for-exciting-season <<<<----- link....

Starting to get some recognition :)

Without any more signings would you be satisfied with what we have now?

Well what is nice to see is that every signing we have made so far has genuinely improved out team. Positions have been filled and competition has been added. Not to mention proper many has been spent. We must have smashed our transfer record a few times.

I would be very happy with our transfer efforts can''t tell though if they kick us on or are just keeping us level with others. Either way I am hopeful of a slightly less nerve racking season

We have been very astute, finding bargains from clubs in financial difficulties (Lisbon, Birmingham, etc.), players desperate for the Premiership, and available EPL money, which we once tended to despise. We have stretched the budget carefully and signed at reasonable prices some players we never dreamt we could!

In addition you would have to say that a team of scouts have done their work, especially in Europe. Above all you would have to credit two men - McN ( the one allegedly ''arry wouldn''t play poker with), and who works tirelessly, as well as CH (even prepared to fly to Italy immediately before the American trip). It is remarkable how many of the signings were influenced by knowing CH previously (Redmond, Hooper) or on meeting him (RvW).

Potentially we already have enough quality to make a mark, and we have spent far less than other Premiership clubs have spent on one player! Let''s hope that we become them an admirable standout team in the next 10 months.

[quote user="Salopian"]

We have been very astute, finding bargains from clubs in financial difficulties (Lisbon, Birmingham, etc.), players desperate for the Premiership, and available EPL money, which we once tended to despise. We have stretched the budget carefully and signed at reasonable prices some players we never dreamt we could!

In addition you would have to say that a team of scouts have done their work, especially in Europe. Above all you would have to credit two men - McN ( the one allegedly ''arry wouldn''t play poker with), and who works tirelessly, as well as CH (even prepared to fly to Italy immediately before the American trip). It is remarkable how many of the signings were influenced by knowing CH previously (Redmond, Hooper) or on meeting him (RvW).

Potentially we already have enough quality to make a mark, and we have spent far less than other Premiership clubs have spent on one player! Let''s hope that we become them an admirable standout team in the next 10 months.

[/quote]

Let''s nip this "poker" thing in the bud now before anyone else reads this, that was not a quote but an opinion of the journalist writing the article, Redknapp never said that.

One other thing, GiveMeSport is basically a collection of long forum posts by random people, don''t read anything into what you read on there.

I think we are gaining respect.  Our last four seasons, the way our club is run, now these latest transfer dealings - they are all making people sit up and take note and we are making people respect the club in a way that maybe hasn''t happened for a long time.    Perhaps we won''t be seen as the proverbial  country cousins or "little ol'' Norwich" so much and be treated better by the media this season - not that it matters, but  it would be nice for a change.

I know its greedy, but no I wouldnt be satisfied - I want more more more. Norwich''s ambition this season has awoken a monster deep inside me. I am now insatiable and need to be satisfied with signing after signing. Im hooked!

I know I should be satisifed with the excitement so far, but I want more!

Still think we need another CM. Fer is the first half of the solution, but think he needs a quality partner. I think the limitations of central midfield were the reason for our need to have defensive tactics last season, and better CMs would mean we wouldnt have to choose between cavalier attack (Lambert first Prem season) or dogged defending (Hughton last season).

Many people have raised the point that Hughton in the past has not played with a defensive mentality, so it seems last seasons tactics were simply what he felt needed to happen with the squad he inherited. Now he''s building his own, and hopefully we''ll have a more exciting brand of football next season. Quality central midfielders who have more than a singular strength are the way forward. The way to turn defence into attack. We''re halfway there with Fer.

I think we could perhaps survive with just the 3 strikers, but another would be more comforting. We probably dont need another centre-back, but having coveted Alderweireld, Im greedy for this to go through too.

The general consensus is that RVW''s transfer fee came from this years budget, but as we know, it was from last years funds. Means teams think we have spent more than we actually have this year, which might mean some teams wont see us coming.

Realistically we could argue that Alderweireld and Quagliarella could both come and we could still stay withing our budget. I still think a CM should be a priority though. I think Id be happy to see any of our other CMs move on in order to raise funds for this if need be (apart from Howson, but I think he''s more effective behind the striker than as a centre mid anyway)

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]CodeNameCanary wrote - "We must have smashed our transfer record a few times." No, just once.[/quote]

Thought Dean Ashton was our previous highest purchase? RVW & Hooper have each topped that fee...

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]CodeNameCanary wrote - "We must have smashed our transfer record a few times." No, just once.[/quote]

Thought Dean Ashton was our previous highest purchase? RVW & Hooper have each topped that fee...

[/quote]

Generally accepted, I think, to be Â£3.5m for Earnshaw. Paying £8.5m for RVW beat that, but we haven''t since paid more than that new record.

R. Bennett was our transfer record before we signed RVW (according to McNally, who also said signing Bassong DIDN''T beat Bennett''s fee at the time).

Will we break it again this window? I doubt it. We''ve bought well, and sensibly. It''s not about paying loads of money for players, it''s about bringing in the right players for the right deals.

[quote user="Winning 25"]http://www.givemesport.com/362803-norwich-city-set-for-exciting-season <<<<----- link....

Starting to get some recognition :)

Without any more signings would you be satisfied with what we have now?[/quote]
I think we are rivaled by Swansea personally for the title of best spenders so far, and I can see Newcastle catching up by the time the window closes. Jonjo Shelvey, De Guzman, Jordi Amat and Bony, they are very high profile and very talented players. 

We are gaining respect for our success in the transfer market, we have a great executive team at our club, amongst the best in the EPL! I hope our manager will echo our close season success when the real test begins, he struggled last season and I hope that things will be a lot different in 13/14,Good luck to the boys and the manager!

I agree that Swansea have also done well, but like Garrido for us, de Guzman was a part of their team last year. Taking those two out of the equation leaves them with three top signings and us with five. Bony is a great signing, but would anybody take Shelvey over Fer? I wouldn''t. RvW, Fer, Redmond, Olsson and now Hooper put us well ahead, IMO and Quagliarella and Alderweireld are still possible as well.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I agree that Swansea have also done well, but like Garrido for us, de Guzman was a part of their team last year. Taking those two out of the equation leaves them with three top signings and us with five. Bony is a great signing, but would anybody take Shelvey over Fer? I wouldn''t. RvW, Fer, Redmond, Olsson and now Hooper put us well ahead, IMO and Quagliarella and Alderweireld are still possible as well.[/quote]
Not sure. Fer looks like an absolute beast, but Shelvey has some serious potential too. Different players.
But I''d definitely take Shelvey as a goalscoring attacking midfielder, I think he is going to end up a prolific goalscorer like Kevin Nolan..... and wouldn''t that be handy?
The window is long from finished, and there is no point comparing teams just yet, but outside of the top four or five I should expect that we will be/remain one of the top two or three teams acknowledged to have improved the team the most. I think Newcastle will pull some signings out of the bag, and who knows if Swansea are finished.
What really matters of course is the impact that the players have, we won''t really know who has spent well until a few months into the season. Any team could have signed the next Benteke or Michu, it could be us, could be somebody else. 
I''m delighted with our activity whichever way you look at it. De Guzman was a Swansea player last year, of course, but it is still a huge coup to get him in on a permanent.
Swansea have got a lot of goals in them.... we could still do with a few more goals in us. 

bottom line is how well they play, and that is where we have the edgeQPR were a classic case last season of bringing supposed quality players, but for whatever reason the didn''t gel and it didn''t workI trust the board to now what they are doing and to find the players who are motivated to give it their - something that was the mainstay of us hauling ourselves off the bottom pf League 1 and up into the top half of the PLto try and compare player against player when they will have been bought for a different'' purpose'', under a different regime and will be used under a different playing style is a bit acadamic, in fact fairly meaningless the real question for us is whether we can keep 20 plus players highly motivated and committed when amny will be spending alot of their time not even on the bench - that I would suggest is more about who the players are than even how things are ran next season so any ''standout'' is how well we have done in signing those type of players rather than supposed stars