Sign in to follow this  
unique

Hooper v Wanyama

A number of supporters are unsure whether Hooper will make the grade in the PL. It would not surprise me if, given the same amount of game time, he will outscore RVW.

Both Hooper and Wanyama have a tremendous ''injury-free'' appearance record over the past two seasons.

A 25-year old Hooper has played in 100 games over the two seasons, scoring 60 goals and receiving just 5 yellow cards. A disciplinary record almost unheard of for a striker in this day and age.

A 22-year old Wanyama has played in 91 games, scoring 12 goals, receiving 18 yellow cards and 2 reds.

£5m+ for Hooper looks a steal compared to £12.5m for Wanyama. 

Hopper was in his last year of contract with Celtic and had made it clear he had no intention of signing a new one. If they hadn''t sold him then he would''ve moved for free next year. Wanyama was contracted until 2015 and would still under under 24 at that point so Celtic would get a fee if he moved, hence the big difference in transfer fee.

That said, Hooper looks like a great deal for us.

Not to mention that they played completely different roles and only one should be judged on goals scored.

Maybe i am missing something but it seems a very strange comparison if you ask me- the only reason for comparison is that they have left the same club, if Wanyama had been at Hibs or Monaco this comparison would not be made.

Wanyama vs Fer makes more sense and still makes us look like we have made a better deal.

Not so much a comparison, as they obviously play different roles.

It''s just whether, as a Norwich fan, and of the two options from Celtic, you would rather the club had spent £12.5m on Wanyama, or feel we''re getting far better value with Hooper.....

From a defensive midfielder point of view, agreed, I feel far happier with Fer than I would have, with Wanyama....

We needed a striker. We bought one. So I am happier that we got Hooper.

[quote user="unique"]

Not so much a comparison, as they obviously play different roles.

It''s just whether, as a Norwich fan, and of the two options from Celtic, you would rather the club had spent £12.5m on Wanyama, or feel we''re getting far better value with Hooper.....

From a defensive midfielder point of view, agreed, I feel far happier with Fer than I would have, with Wanyama....

[/quote]

Well in that sense I am not so sure as I am not convinced by Hooper but think that Wanyama looks a great player.

It never takes long for a Grey to turn up......

...pointless retorts.....a misplaced sense of superiority....a poster of little value and even less intelligence....

....yawn.......

Was it £12m for a defensive midfielder? That''s a lot of money to spend for such a position for a lowly team imo. People have ranted/raved about money we could have spent on a high profile striker over £8m.

I''d rather class this thread as Fer vs Wanyama and I know where the best money was spent but a country mile.

I dont understand the Wanayama thing. Weren''t we rumoured to be looking at him last year? When Norwich were scouting Celtic for Hooper we seemed to be linked with at least 4 of their players. Sure Wanayama was one of them (Nigerian left back was another I think) and the price was around 5m.

Celtic bought Wanayama for 900k from the Belgian league I think. After proving himself in the Scottish league, how on earth can his value rise to 12m?

Hooper scored regularly, in the Champions League as well, and roughly doubled his value (which sounds about right - though Celtic obviously wanted a lot more).

But how can a player be judged to be worth a 12m fee when the best opposition that season is Motherwell or the like?

I just dont see it.

Southampton fans seemed pleased with their new purchase, but I cant help thinking theyve been totally taken for a ride. If we had been this reckless with the cash I would be mad as hell. Chumps

[quote user="AJ"]WE''VE GOT LEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOY[/quote][URL=http://s589.photobucket.com/user/dmacca666/media/lolcats-funny-pictures-leroy-jenkins.jpg.html][IMG]http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss331/dmacca666/lolcats-funny-pictures-leroy-jenkins.jpg[/IMG][/URL][Y]