Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Another quality forward

As well as strengthening at the back do you think we need another forward with With Jackson, Holt, Martin, Kamara and Vaughan gone we seem a tad short

I don''t think we will. Hooper has replaced Jackson as the poacher, RVW for Holt and Becchio is the third choice striker. That''s all we had last season and the rest were out on loan. I''m not sure we can bring in another decent striker and keep him happy. I reckon CH will continue with 1 up front most of the time but has better options and the pace we lacked last year. If anything I''d expect to see a centre half to partner Bassong as the first choice pairing and Barnett to be sold. At that point I think we''ll keep the rest of the kitty in reserve for January.

I would have kamara back as he is a great athlete, we would get him for a small fee and with game time and experience, he can become a top class player.

Mo Farah is a great athlete...doesn''t mean I want him to sign for Norwich.

We need at least one more

I think we need and will get another and probably with a bit more experience so quag or Lopez likely but I still hanker for kadlec

Ashley Barnes as 4th choice striker check him out on Tuesday

Not another Centre Forward as such but it''s quite clear that we are after someone to "help out" Wes in that Secondary Striker / Attacking Midfielder role with our interest in Toivonen and Quagliarella.

Tottenham and Newcastle last year suffered due to lack of numbers upfront and quality upfront.

Pardew has said he needs more four strikers for a premiership season, there are some on here that suggest 3 is enough or get a young lad on loan. Sorry dillusional, we need four strikers this season and to be honest we will need some of our wide players attacking midfielders on form too as four strikers can leave us limited if 1 has a serious injury and one get suspended or injured. Last year we suffered from no plan b, we need strikers.

Agreed, we need four strikers. Especially if Hughton wants to retain the possibility of ever being able to play two up front. 
Alternatively we at very least need an attacking centre mid who poses a serious goal threat, like a Kevin Nolan - I guess that''s what Toivanan would have been.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Nile Ranger is on a free

LMFAO[/quote]
He has just had his surname tattooed on his face (seriously). 

[quote user="General Melchett"] I''m not sure we can bring in another decent striker and keep him happy. [/quote]

I think this is true.   with RVW, Hooper and Becchio, you are not going to persuade another £5m + striker in as he will look at the players we have and realise he may not be first or second choice.    We are better off with the three we have with maybe a less expensive, maybe younger player coming in to act as back up. That player could then go out on loan if necessary, giving us three strikers to use week in week out, but with a striker in the background to come in if needed.  

the same becchio who couldnt get in front of holt kamara and even at times jackson. i like the guy and think he deserves a go but i do wonder whether hughton rates him that highly or if he just got him because he wanted rid of morison. so becchio being 4th striker isnt out of the question.

we dont even have back up strikers to fall back on. for example our 1st season in the prem are 4 main strikers were holt jackson morison and vaughan but we always had wilbraham and chris martin to fall back on. im not saying we want players like wilbraham but back then we had 6 recognised strikers, now we only have 3 so we definatly need another.

So you''re saying we need rubbish players to ''fall back on'' and take up chunks of the wage budget...?

[quote user="Stig"]So you''re saying we need rubbish players to ''fall back on'' and take up chunks of the wage budget...?[/quote]

How would you feel that *god forbid this doesnt happen* that either RvW or Hooperman gets injured.

4 strikers is a minium if you ask me.

no im sayin be nice to have strikers to replace strikers. so if 1 is injured and 1 suspended we have 1 striker in the 18 man matchday squad. would rather have someone who knows the role of a striker.

[quote user="Stig"]So you''re saying we need rubbish players to ''fall back on'' and take up chunks of the wage budget...?[/quote]
Were you one of those people that called Mark Bunn a waste of money last summer? If so, what do you think about his signing now? 
Buying some players in case they are needed makes a lot more sense than not buying players because they may not be needed. 

It''s all about how you view a premiership squad now.

For the last couple of seasons we may have kept players simply on the basis that we were flirting with relegation and you don''t want to go down laden with heavily waged players, or loose half your squad in the process of relegation.

Now we are trying to deepen the squad. Not because you wan''t decent back ups but because we want decent options.

I think Hughton tried to tinker a bit last season but found the squad just wasn''t up to it. You don''t sign 7 new players which equates to just under 1/3 of your squad, in a summer, just to get decent back ups.

The only exception being Nash.

You need to have four strikers not just to cover injury and suspension, but to pick from. A loss of form, tiredness, off the pitch issues - there are plenty of reasons but what is paramount is that you need competition and you want to be able to pick form players.

Tactically you also want to be able to put out the team you think will get the better of the opposition.

Is Redmond better than Snodgrass or Pilkington - no, but I think he offers something entirely different. He is quick and likes to take players on and his youth will also bring energy and eagerness to do well.

As a manager, you want a squad of 25 very good players to choose from, to push each other for a starting place. And to give you the option of deploying different formations.

Up until Hughton came in I think we could only play the diamond or a basic 4-4-2 well. There just wasn''t the quality in flexibility in the players to play any other way.

No way, Mark Bunn was a brilliant signing and he was my POTS. In his example he named Wilbraham and Martin, with Hooper RVW and Becchio we only need one more and it shouldn''t be fall back on rubbish.

[quote user="Stig"]No way, Mark Bunn was a brilliant signing and he was my POTS. In his example he named Wilbraham and Martin, with Hooper RVW and Becchio we only need one more and it shouldn''t be fall back on rubbish.[/quote]
Fair enough, I actually agree with one more. I thought you were in the ''three is enough'' camp.
Jamie Mackie for £1m would have been a steal and perfect as a squad player with the ability to make an impact. I''d be open to Ashley Barnes because he is good with his head, good player to come on for the last fifteen in a game that we are chasing. 

In a way Ashley Barnes could be our new Wilbraham, a better version. 
Wilbrahamovic is a Premier League player again now though, so who am I to judge.