Sign in to follow this  
Mr Brownstone

Players out of contract in 2014

Hughton has done some brilliant work in strengthening the squad over the summer, but it got me thinking if we''ve got anyone entering the final year of their contract, anyone know?

Off the top of my head I''d have thought Eliott Bennett, Ayala and Barnett. Did Johnson and Pilkington both sign new deals?

Out of those 3 I''d assume Ayala and Barnett''s futures are elsewhere (the Championship) so I''d guess the only question mark would be over Bennett. I''d like to keep him personally but I''m not sure he''d want to stick around if he can''t get ahead of Snoddy in the pecking order, plus he''ll have the Murphy''s lurking over his shoulder pretty soon.

Bennett signed 3 1/2 year contract when signed Jan 12 will expire 2015. Pilks has one year left but City with one year option. Ayala signed on 4 year contract 2 years to go. Barnett in last year of contract. Elliott B could be in last year maybe an option to keep. Johnson signed new 3 year contract last season.

Out of those mentioned I think Ayala and Barnett will probably move on at the end of the season. Bradley Johnson signed a new contract until 2016 back in February. We''ve got an option of another year on Pilkington so his contract effectively runs until 2015. The only dilemma here is Elliott Bennett. Is he effective enough as a right winger at this level? I think the ability is there if he believes in himself a bit more and failing that he has got all the ingredients to be a cracking right back.

[quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]

Out of those mentioned I think Ayala and Barnett will probably move on at the end of the season. Bradley Johnson signed a new contract until 2016 back in February. We''ve got an option of another year on Pilkington so his contract effectively runs until 2015. The only dilemma here is Elliott Bennett. Is he effective enough as a right winger at this level? I think the ability is there if he believes in himself a bit more and failing that he has got all the ingredients to be a cracking right back.

[/quote]My exact thinking

Ayala may turn out to be a decent player. He did look ok in his first season. Had good control and he''s still very young. Hughton is no doubt weighing him up in pre season. Don''t know how he did on loan or what the fans thought of him?

More likely age and ability.

He is a good defender, and a solid mid table defender at that - hence mid table Sunderland until recently. However, he''ll be 30 by next summer. Perhaps they just wanted to make sure they got a good defender, didn''t tie him down for too long in case of relegation and also in case age started to hamper his form/ability.

I should imagine he will be handed an extension. Unless the plan is to loan Ayala out again and then see if he is up to premiership football next season? Or they think its time for R. Bennett to step up?

Suspect there will be an option for another year on Turner''s contract, and if there isn''t then I suspect we will offer him one.
David Fox is out of contract in 2014 also. Can''t see him getting a new one (or accepting one actually). 

"Hughton has done some brilliant work in strengthening the squad over the summer"

eh ?I think you''ll find it''s most the board and the scouting system (that''s why there is one)

i think you''ll find hughton has a say in it aswell. they dont just sign players behind his back. he will have a list of targets he woll want.

I think it works like this:

Hughton is working with his squad and decides he needs to improve the defense.

He speaks to McNally to see what sort of budget there is and gets the ok to speak to the scouting network - or should I say the head of the scouting network. They then are instructed to look for defensive candidates that would suit what we are looking for and bring something to the team.

They then bring back their reports to Hughton and the chief scout. The chances are the coaching team and Hughton may look at a couple of DVD''s, shortlist some players and have them watched further and in more detail, maybe watching live matches on TV or maybe even go and see them play in person.

All before this goes back to McNally who then goes to the board with the target and they discuss price.

Now I could be horribly wrong, but that is how it would work logically. Although I should imagine the scouts are always on the lookout and if they spot someone fantastic they will let the club know so it works two ways.

Forgot to say that Hughton would get the final say on the player, as in whether he feels he can work with them, if they would fit in with the squad etc, after all no one will know the players we have better than him and the coaches.

I''m pretty sure that Hughton plays a much larger role than just telling his scouts to find him a striker. He is a professional football manager, he probably lives, breathes, eats, drinks, sleeps, and sh*ts football. Probably knows more about the players out there than any of us.
We already know that Ricky Van Wolfswinkel has been on Hughton''s radar for three years. I think scouts have a much larger role to play in finding players for the youth system than the first team.... you don''t need to employ a huge department to tell you that a midfielder with 2 Holland caps is half decent. 
We are talking about a manager who got a train to Peterborough to watch a game because it was the closest one to Norwich and there weren''t any on the telly. Same with Lambert, he has always been one step ahead of the curve.