Sign in to follow this  
VegasCanary

Butterfield

What''s going on with him? Has Hughton mentioned whether he''ll be going out on loan again or possibly breaking into the first team? I don''t think I''ve seen him play for us yet?

I want to see him get into the first team to be honest, because from what i''ve heard from Barnsley fans he''s a very good player. But sadly with players like Fer I can only see him being stuck in the limbo of playing reserve games, being loaned out, and sold.

[quote user="iron_stan"]not considered good enough for the first team last season, hasnt got a hope in hell now

[/quote]Tad unfair, Id stay he was not considered ''ready'' for the first team, rather than not good enough

Much of last season was effectively a write-off, as he seemed to take a long while to recover from his dreadful injury in December 2011. I know that on one of his loan periods he did not get many games, but we don''t know how far the injury was still hampering him.

Whether this has had any long term effect on his ability, I don''t know, but CH and Co will have been able to see him again fully recovered in the pre-season here and in the USA.  He has to recover pace and shooting ability which he showed in plenty for Barnsley. Certainly we took some risk in signing such a badly injured player, but to judge by comments at the time   several other clubs were after him and he was assumed to be Premiership class. I can''t remember whether he was a Lambert "spot", or whether CH made all the running.

whos fkn clueless ?which players from johnson, howson, hoolahan, redmond, snodgrass, pilkington, fer, bennet, and even tettey & fox to some extent is he going to be ousting from the teampfffttt

I did see one flash of brilliance from him in the Timbers game but I think what he really needs is to be loaned back to Barnsley for a season to rebuild his form and confidence and prove he really is PL standard.

Looked good against the Timbers when he came on. I suspect it will depend on whether we sign an attacking centre mid or not. If we don''t then I''d like to see him fight for a place with Hoolahan. 

[quote user="The New Boy"]Looked good against the Timbers when he came on. I suspect it will depend on whether we sign an attacking centre mid or not. If we don''t then I''d like to see him fight for a place with Hoolahan. [/quote]Quite agree. I thought he looked sharp. Be good to see one of the "squad" players step up.

If we sign another attacking midfielder/secondary striker, then he will be loaned out to the Championship for a season. If we don''t sign a attacking midfielder, he will stay to back up/ compete with Hoolahan. Butterfield is only 23 and it is typical for players to get better as they age when they play his position (that role behind the striker.) There''s a reason he was signed on a four year contract last season. It would be no surprise if it takes him until he is 25/26 before he can really push for a place in the starting lineup. Just to show this, Hoolahan is 31, Quagliarella 30 and Toivonen 27. 

We''ve hardly seen him play, he came with a big reputation , I would like to see him get a full season out on loan and then start thinking about his future. Amazing how far we have come!

To me its a bit like the Fox situation.  A good player who at his best could compete, but perhaps not quite back to his best because of injury.  Modern players are like race horses, it only takes a slight set back to knock their confidence back just far enough to affect their chances of getting in the first team.  I hope both of them get more of a chance to compete - maybe in cup games and off the bench.   Good players don''t turn in to bad players. They sometimes just need time to get their fitness and confidence back up to the required level.

It''s nothing like the Fox situation, though, is it? Butterfield is relatively young and was coming off a long term injury, whereas Fox is the more than likely same player he was when playing regularly for us a couple of years ago.

[quote user="Alan_Grey"]It''s nothing like the Fox situation, though, is it? Butterfield is relatively young and was coming off a long term injury, whereas Fox is the more than likely same player he was when playing regularly for us a couple of years ago.[/quote]

Wasn''t Fox injured prior to Hughton coming in and then struggled to make an impact straight away?  

[quote user="Alan_Grey"]Not nearly as severely.[/quote]True, but an injury is an injury and yes, Butterfield''s was severe, but it''s been shown that missing a good pre-season can influence a player''s form.  We can agree to differ, but all fringe players are fighting to get into the team and as long as they are in the squad and fit should be given the opportunities to play, even if it is cup games and occasional sub for league games.

He''s had his season on loan already and I''m happy to see him involved in the pre season. He''s young and I see no reason why he can''t have role in the coming season with an excellent reputation to live up to.

[quote user="birchfest"]He''s had his season on loan already and I''m happy to see him involved in the pre season. He''s young and I see no reason why he can''t have role in the coming season with an excellent reputation to live up to.[/quote]

He didnt have the full season on loan, It was all a bit disjointed, I think he needs a full season at a decent Championship Club. Get his fitness and form back and then we will see if he really is good as was claimed.

It''s hard for a young central midfielder, because it takes a few years for them to bulk up properly, hence why Ferguson started Beckham on the wing.Butterfield''s a decent height (just short of 6 ft) is two footed and can shoot from distance. Hughton rates him as a decent footballer, he signed on a 4 year deal when we expected to be a long-term Premiership club, so I''d expect him to be around for the long haul.

[quote user="iron_stan"]whos fkn clueless ?

which players from johnson, howson, hoolahan, redmond, snodgrass, pilkington, fer, bennet, and even tettey & fox to some extent is he going to be ousting from the team

pfffttt

[/quote]

Yup, that is actually a good point.

There are a lot of very good players who have already established themselves in the team ahead of Butterfield.

As long as he is at the club he has got a chance but he is going to have to go a very long way to prove it and how many chances is he going to get?

Butterfield is a young prospect who plays in the Hooly position. But he is much more likely to score than Wes from what I have learned. I can see him on the bench a lot this season. with a full pre-season under his belt we could be in for a surprise.

star_manic wrote - " I can see him on the bench a lot this season."

If we get all the players we have been strongly connected with choosing the players for the bench might be another headache. Will he be ahead of the likes of Wes, Hooper, Becchio, Johnson, Tettey, Redmond, Bennett E., Bennett R., etc., etc.?